Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NSD nameserver(s)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NSD nameserver(s)

shaanlshaanl Member
edited April 2012 in General

Hi

Is it possible to have different nameservers using nsd and on the same box?

Say I wanted to have ns1.domaina.com and ns2.domaina.com running along side ns1.domainb.com and ns2.domainb.com, how would I achieve this?

I know it seems a little stupid doing this, but it's just for me to know. Also, I do have ns1.domaina.com and ns2.domaina.com running fine.

Thanks!

Comments

• You can bind different name servers with different configs to different IPs on the same box. Not sure why you would want this though.

• Can I bind the different nameservers to a single IP?

I have a couple domains registered that I want to get live again, and I have control over the original domains used for the nameservers (was part of me experimenting a while back). It's a mission for me to change the nameservers on the domains and easier for me to just recreate them (in my mind). Plus, it's interesting for me to know.

• No, one IP = one name server (they all use the same port - 53)
    But ona name server can server as many domains as you want, not sure why you want different name servers.

• Ah ok, so I'd need to apply for a new IP on the server to be able to use the second nameserver?

I know a nameserver can serve many domains, but what I did a while back was register two domains to be used exclusively for nameservers, one being domain.com and the other domain.co.za (as an example). What I wanted to do then was any other .com's I registered would use domain.com as the nameserver and any other .co.za's I registered would use the domain.co.za nameservers. It was an experiment and for uniformity.

• There is no problem to point both ns1.domain.com and ns1.domain.co.za to the same IP and be served by the same name server.
    But i suggest you put ns2.domain.com and ns2.domain.co.za on a different server in a differente place.

• How would I set that up in NSD then? To have ns1.domain.com and ns1.domain.co.za use the same IP and same name server?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

Set it up as normal, then in the zone file for both domains set an A record for ns1.thatdomain, and set the NS value to the same.

I would have shown an example but typing is tedious on this silly phone.