Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

geniuses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

geniuses

twaintwain Member
edited April 2012 in General

That's right, you know who you are... those who run amazingly stable VPS services at absolutely crazy prices.. and give a fantastic service with an unfailingly positive attitude and you answer our requests or questions with what seems to be a broad smile... keep doing what you are doing.. you know who you are.. geniuses I tell you! (is it genii?) ... just wanted to get that out.

Comments

• ZeroZero Member
    edited April 2012

Yes, they're awesome, thanks God I've discovered them!

Are we talking about the same provider? :P

• who is your favorite provider

• All Simple, Martin is doing a fantastic job!

Thanked by 1Martin
  • @inverse said: All Simple, Martin is doing a fantastic job!

If he gets back to me, i'll get them listed tomorrow.

• whois says since 2004. so they are really dependable? good for production?

• @taipres said: If he gets back to me, i'll get them listed tomorrow.

I'll get back to you this morning, thanks for the email.

• inverseinverse Member
    edited April 2012

Check out my current uptime with AllSimple:

Status

Been on since they relocated datacenters. You can also check out their status. I would recommend them and say they are pretty solid and dependable :)

Thanked by 1Martin
  • @inverse I don't get why people can't understand that uptime says nothing.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @OneTwo said: @inverse I don't get why people can't understand that uptime says nothing.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@OneTwo In some ways that's correct in some ways it isn't. Uptime like that doesn't count network downtime, because the physical machine may be running. However it does show some stability in that there were not any random reboots etc.

• OneTwoOneTwo Member
    edited April 2012

@NateN34 said: ................

You realize that that's a completely useless post in the community?

@Infinity Yeah, a vps of mine has 23 days of uptime but the network is messed up like the last month or so.

• @NateN34 said: ................

For me is the most clear post ever.

• @inverse thanks!

how about others? you like allsimple?

• it seems their £15/Year 128MB Xen is expired.

• @jcaleb said: it seems their £15/Year 128MB Xen is expired.

We have some limited stock here:
    https://clients.allsimple.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=56

Thank you for your interest.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I got one of the allsimple £15/Year 128MB Xen deals and it's been working very well. No down time, no network outages, very responsive. Bandwidth to California is inconsistent, but usually pretty good.

Thanked by 1Martin
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@OneTwo said: You realize that that's a completely useless post in the community?

You realize you ALWAYS have negative posts?

• I think @KuJoe is the genius here. :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2012

I have terrible urge to add myself also to "thank you" list here. @Martin, good work! :)

Thanked by 1Martin
  • thanks martin, will try sign up tonight when i get back home.

• Uptime is a solid method of measuring a provider's general reliability and stability. When I see a 100+ day uptime on production equipment (and VMs), I can feel confident that I'm dealing with a provider that doesn't tolerate abuse on his nodes, and doesn't take chances with simply implementing every new tech that comes along without thorough testing first.

On the opposite hand, uptime CANNOT be used on its own. If you see a VM with a 3 day uptime, there's several factors to consider:

1- Is this a new VM?
    2- Did this VM just go through dist-upgrade?
    3- Did this VM's owner just try to pull an interface loop on CentOS?
    4- Did this VM's node just go through scheduled maintenance for security/etc upgrades?

Of course, there's always the possibility that the VM's node is simply unstable, heavily abused, etc. But uptime should never be used on its own as a qualifier.

Thanked by 3yomero inverse Damian
  • Fortunately for you Aldryic, you have never had a VPS from AlienLayer. What good is an uptime of 3 months if the network is completely dead for hours at a time several times during those months?

• @Martin Got my server. Thanks man!

• @jcaleb said: @Martin Got my server. Thanks man!

That's great, let me know if you have any queries. :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey said: I think @KuJoe is the genius here. :)

I say @mitgib is also a genius here.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @efball said: Fortunately for you Aldryic, you have never had a VPS from AlienLayer. What good is an uptime of 3 months if the network is completely dead for hours at a time several times during those months?

And that's why can't be a good parameter on it's own.

• @Martin it just seem ionode is small. but i doubt if i will reach that, because i will only host my personal blog. maybe receive 10 hits a day if im lucky =p

• @jcaleb said: @Martin it just seem ionode is small. but i doubt if i will reach that, because i will only host my personal blog. maybe receive 10 hits a day if im lucky =p

I'll look into this further, but if it causes you problems, open a ticket and I'll move you nodes.

• @Martin thanks man! more power to you business.

• @efball said: Fortunately for you Aldryic, you have never had a VPS from AlienLayer. What good is an uptime of 3 months if the network is completely dead for hours at a time several times during those months?

I believe that's not so much being fortunate as knowing which providers to avoid.