Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB VPS allow sending mass mail (with double opt)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB VPS allow sending mass mail (with double opt)?

gianggiang Veteran
edited September 2011 in Help

Hi guys,

I'm looking for low end VPS that allow sending mass email (with my PHP script) for email marketing purpose? All emails got double opt (opt-in and opt-out) and they will always unsubscribe anytime.

Thank for reading,
Giang

Comments

• Do I get opted in for replying to you? Also what about triple or quadruple opt. More opts the better, right?

• I don't see why not, as long as it's legal.

• kalam said: Do I get opted in for replying to you? Also what about triple or quadruple opt. More opts the better, right?

I actually don't know what is doublt opt, just got this from ToS of some VPS providers :)

ztec said: I don't see why not, as long as it's legal.

Thank you. It's totally legal, but I don't want my VPS got suspended or terminated by sending out a lot of emails, so I'm asking for safely :D

• Just for reference, I believe the term you're looking for is confirmed opt in. That's when you sign up for a mail list and then confirm it via clicking on a link that's sent to you.

Double opt in is marketing double speak and a term that spammers came up with in an attempt to show that confirmed opt in was just troublesome and shouldn't be used.

As long as you follow their ToS, you should be fine with any provider. Keeping a record of how, when and from where folks signed up is a big plus in these cases. All of the mail list scripts we use do such.

And as we know from my experiences with YardSpammer, at least some lip service to can-spam is required as well.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @giang: Keep in mind that sending tons of emails can cause high load.

• That depends on how the emails are being sent. Some of the mailing software sends each emails one at a time, creating a connection each and every time. A couple of the better scripts divide the work up and send it out in batches when they're going to the same domain and/or mail server.

That helps a great deal with the load. One connection and more emails going out via that connection.

• use something like mailchimp, dont do it yourself

• @iKocka, @drmike: Thank you :) I will intergrate this function in our script ;)

justinb said: use something like mailchimp, dont do it yourself

Thank you. I don't like MailChimp because they insert their logo everywhere.

• Yup, mailchimp annoys folks, both users and clients.

• @giang, @drmike: Mailchimp... is a chimp after all, what else do you expect?

Anyway if you do it yourself, make sure you build something to capture SMTP errors, and make sure you know what to do with soft- & hard-bounced emails, comply with targetted server policy (e.g. AOL loves rDNS), etc. etc.

• giang said: Thank you. I don't like MailChimp because they insert their logo everywhere.

They insert their logo nowhere if you pay.

• eLohkCalb said: Anyway if you do it yourself, make sure you build something to capture SMTP errors, and make sure you know what to do with soft- & hard-bounced emails, comply with targetted server policy (e.g. AOL loves rDNS), etc. etc.

It seems Google hates rDNS :D I got an brandnew VPS with brandnew IP but Google still treats emails from my server as spam (I only send 3 test emails from it).

justinb said: They insert their logo nowhere if you pay.

That's great but I'm looking for budget VPS and do it myself it means I don't have a lot of money :(

• giang said: That's great but I'm looking for budget VPS and do it myself it means I don't have a lot of money :(

How many messages per month and how many target email addresses

• Be able to prove someone opted-in when the complaint comes in, and CAN-SPAN is only legal in the US, it is totally against the law to mail in accordance with CAN-SPAM to UK residents, and this is where the can of worms gets opened, as Spamhaus follows UK law and lists people as spammers who follow CAN-SPAM, snowshoeing will get you listed as well.

No complaints is the unachiveable goal, so pay for mailchimp or a service like it or plan to bounce from provider to provider as what you are doing is unwelcome by all except the latest kiddie hosts. Personally I will block your outbound port 25 access on the first spam complaint, so now you still have service and cannot run to paypal with a failure to deliver dispute.

• Also, take a look at sendgrid

• The target location is not the US. We're going to send mail (newsletter, promotion...) to
    subscibers who are Vietnamese.

yomero said: Also, take a look at sendgrid

Their price is still high for me :(

justinb said: How many messages per month and how many target email addresses

I don't know yet, maybe just few emails a month. It depends on subscriber (I don't have any subscriber yet =D)

• High and a few mails per month? They are very cheap imho.

Also, if are a few mails, you can do it in almost any box.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited September 2011

Without going into specific details, Spamhaus is listing domains and ip ranges hitting their selection of email addresses scattered around the net. If those emails are on a mail list, they've come from somewhere and they're not optin in any way.

That and follow up complaints aren't getting paid attention to by the provider and/or datacenter and the spammers are still clients.

@miTgiB, got me curious. What do you do if I as a customer can show that the complainer did in fact opt in and then confirm? I know we deal with the occasional complainer who says that they never signed up but yet we can show that they did in fact do so as well as confirm.

• drmike said: What do you do if I as a customer can show that the complainer did in fact opt in and then confirm? I know we deal with the occasional complainer who says that they never signed up but yet we can show that they did in fact do so as well as confirm.

Well, I've already blocked their ability to email, now they've shown proof of an opt-in, access is restored when they assure me that person has in fact been removed and I also suggest they move on and find a new home once their paid period has ended as a renewal will not be offered.

I have no problem with mailing lists for whatever your club type org is, I just do not welcome email marketing. Come up with an original idea, stop trying to slither along the bottom rung of the internet just above real spammers. I simply do not have time to deal with complaints when I could be offering help to clients doing cool things I might have an interest in as well. Just because I offer unmanaged hosting, doesn't mean I won't help the majority who ask for it. Sometimes I even learn something providing the help.

• I also suggest they move on and find a new home once their paid period has ended as a renewal will not be offered.

So in other words (And I'm taking this example from an issue that I got too deal with just a couple of days ago) Joe Blow opts in for a update subscription on a blog that is on one of your vpses and confirms their optin. Three months later they get annoyed with the blogger and his opinion that Janeway was a much better captain over the rest of them. For whatever reason the unsubscribe feature doesn't work and, even though the email contains contact information, they head over to spamcop, copy and paste in the email, and send you off a spam complaint. Your client has the optin and confirmation record, no unsubscription request and has bent over backwards to make themselves available.

And you're still going to "suggest they move on and find a new home"?

• drmike said: And you're still going to "suggest they move on and find a new home"?

No, I wouldn't suggest a blogger move, just update their script or otherwise fix it, it's the email marketers I have a problem with. I have no problem with the average everyday webmaster occasionally causing a problem, it happens, and I can understand it, it is the email marketers "needing" XXX Ip's so they can showshoe spam into yahoo/msn/aol cuz those services rate limit them for, wait for it.... spamming.