Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting off of Spam Cannibal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Getting off of Spam Cannibal

grostongroston Member

All,

My site, and email, are hosted by Liquid Solutions. I have been with them for two months now and I believe that there has only been one, brief outage. The value is good and I am basically satisfied. However...

To help keep an eye on things, I get a weekly report from Mx Toolbox, and every week, it reports that my IP address is black-listed by Spam Cannibal.

My IP address is 192.210.231.120 and this is the Spam Cannibal report:
pairofdocs.net
generic/anonymous/un-named IP

The problem does not relate to a missing rDNS record. If you visit www.dnsgoodies.com/ and drop my IP address into the Reverse DNS lookup, you do get a response:

Server: 4.2.2.1
Address: 4.2.2.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
120.231.210.192.in-addr.arpa name = pairofdocs.net.

Authoritative answers can be found from:

Last week, in an attempt to resolve this problem, I carefully checked my DNS records and found some issues with my SPF records - which I fixed. However, my IP address continues to be listed on Spam Cannibal.

Can you please offer specific suggestions for resolving this problem? My VPS provider does not seem to think that anything is wrong - do I need to go directly to ColoCrossing with this issue? If so, what specifically should I ask?

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Is it your IP That is listed, or the IP Subnet?

• Good question - I do not know the answer or how to find out. Any suggestions?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Spam cannibal is a scam, you should be able to safely ignore them.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Maounique said:
    Spam cannibal is a scam, you should be able to safely ignore them.

Can you elaborate on that a little? I've been provided IP's that were blacklisted on Spam Cannibal when I got them, so I'm interested to know exactly what they are.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2014

@Nekki said:
    Can you elaborate on that a little? I've been provided IP's that were blacklisted on Spam Cannibal when I got them, so I'm interested to know exactly what they are.

They list anyone who doesn't have a valid rDNS (with a A record), and usually just black list whole range even though they may have never sent email.

• Maounique - Spam Cannibal may be a scam (I cannot judge this), but I strongly suspect that the reason they provide for my IP's being blocked is the same reason that my IP is blocked by Verizon and ATT.

When I sent an email to a Verizon address, I got the following:

host relay.verizon.net[206.46.232.11] refused to talk to me: 571 Email from 192.210.231.120 is currently blocked by Verizon Online's anti-spam system. The email sender or Email Service Provider may visit http://www.verizon.net/whitelist and request removal of the block. 140313

When I entered the requested information into the site listed, I received an email with the following:

After investigation, Verizon Online Security has determined that e-mail from your IP address will not be allowed access to the Verizon Online e-mail domain due to one or more of the following reasons:

Your IP has been blocked because of spam issues or because your ISP indicates that it is dynamically assigned

To me, "dynamically assigned" sounds suspiciously like "generic/anonymous/un-named IP". So, back to the original question - how do I resolve this problem?

• DeanDean Member

Once you've fixed rDNS, you need to contact them to get delisted.
    http://www.spamcannibal.org/cannibal.cgi - then scroll to the bottom.

• More information: Checking with apews.org:

Oooops 192.210.231.120 is currently listed in APEWS :-(
    Entry matching your Query: E-633691
    192.210.128.0/17CASE: C-131
    Unallocated CIDR, no traffic until allocated,
    or allocated to bad reputation provider
    or allocated but dynamic / generically named IPs,
    or bogons, see www.cidr-report.org,
    or orphaned IP / CIDR in routing tableHistory:
    Entry created 2013-06-25

The concept of "dynamic / generically named IPs" appears yet again.

• Apews is dead, ignore it.

• DeanDean Member

It's down to rDNS.. they don't believe you've got a static IP address.
    When was the rDNS set? It may be that it's not propogated to their system... tell them to check again as it's a static IP address.