Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DSLReports.com Forgot the BBU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DSLReports.com Forgot the BBU

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited April 2012 in General

They've been down a few days, probably disastrous to their user base. Makes me wonder if all their servers were single PSU servers, or their datacenter lost A&B power at the same time. Also while I have no proof, if they were using soft raid, or hard raid without a BBU, this is why not using a hw raid card with BBU is a bad thing.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

I don't think I've ever even seen a HW RAID that doesn't come with a BBU these days (maybe because I only deal with Dell/HP hardware though so I'm spoiled).

• @KuJoe said: (maybe because I only deal with Dell/HP hardware though so I'm spoiled).

The only thing Dell/HP have over SuperMicro is a service contract

• lumaluma Member

I am sure Justin did not forget the BBU. I think this was one of those everything that could go wrong went wrong. UPS not working? Generators not kicking in? BBU running out of time?

Seems like the DC is mostly at blame though!

• Well.. the strange thing is that nobody else reported NAC having a power outage. If their NJ location loses power there is going to be threads on WHT about it and there isnt.

• @joemerit I thought the same thing. Could be that a fuse blew on their cabinet PDU, and there was only 1. Not that it's funny I like dslreports, but if that did happen, I wonder how long it would take them to walk over to the cabinet to look at it.

I know on new servers I'm skipping the BBU and going with NVRAM so it's one less thing to worry about.

You can get better service contracts with super micro vendors, you just have to ask. Only thing I really need is overnighting of parts that I don't keep spares of, but I think with dell you can get them same business day, but hey when does a server fail at a good time.

Murphy's law.

@miTgiB said: The only thing Dell/HP have over SuperMicro is a service contract

For us it's price also. We priced out a custom built server from Newegg and it was about 4x more expensive than our Dell servers we buy now and that stuck us with SATA drives instead of the SAS drives we love sooooooo much. :) Then again, we don't run E3s or anything like that so we're not winning any performance competitions but our clients love the stability and uptime so it's a nice balance.

• lumaluma Member

@KuJoe said: Then again, we don't run E3s or anything like that so we're not winning any performance competitions but our clients love the stability and uptime so it's a nice balance.

You must not be buying new dells from dell directly though? I don't think they sell anything with Xeon 5345's anymore...

@luma said: You must not be buying new dells from dell directly though?

Correct.

• @miTgiB said: The only thing Dell/HP have over SuperMicro is a service contract

No.
    Just look at the elkos and chips - HP usualy has much better quality.