Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Raspberry Pi server done right
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A Raspberry Pi server done right

We have a new product - Raspberry Pi based micro dedicated servers.

Specifications: Raspberry Pi model B - 700MHz ARM v6 processor, 512MB RAM (usable around 490MB), 100Mbps ethernet port, 32GB USB storage (usable around 29GB).

Included: 1 IP address, IPv6 /64 is available upon request (each customer is on a separate VLAN so receives a separate /64).

Features that you won't see in most other Raspbery Pi offers:

• Remote power control - power off / power on
  • Automatic reinstalls images available - raspbian, pidora and Arch. We recommend raspbian.
  • Rescue mode
    All these features are accessible directly from the client area.

Price: $10 / Month (+20% VAT for the poor souls from the EU, you know how this works). Payable in either USD or EUR by PayPal.

Order link: https://www.fitvps.com/members/cart.php?a=add&pid=35

Please note: This is only for people who know what the Raspberry Pi is and understand it's specifications, capabilities and limitations.

The available stock at the moment is very limited. We might add more later if there is sufficient interest in this offer.

Comments

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited March 2014

Ordered, installing now.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • If only there were more of these services world wide.. i would have them all! :)
    Lovin my RPi with you guys, well worth the $10 a month. People should love the Pi!

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @rmlhhd wait 10-15 minutes for the installation to complete. It will send you email when it is ready.

• You're restocking now. Nice :)

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @rds100 said:
    rmlhhd wait 10-15 minutes for the installation to complete. It will send you email when it is ready.

Thanks, good deal btw.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • OH MY GOD YES I AM ORDERING HOLY SHIT DUDE YOU ARE AWESOME CAN I HUG YOU

• couldn't resist :)

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2014

edit: All sold out now. We'll stock more next week.

• I got one :)

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Just out of curiousity, how much b/w do you include? Not mentioned in the post, and the WHMCS product is out of stock so not showing either.

• I am trying to figure out what the point of this is besides novelty?

• @rm_ said:
    Just out of curiousity, how much b/w do you include? Not mentioned in the post, and the WHMCS product is out of stock so not showing either.

It's 250GB and $10 per 1TB addon.
    You get limited to 2mbps if you run out.

• @Void_Whisperer said:
    I am trying to figure out what the point of this is besides novelty?

The Pi is quite a good machine, and if you know how to, you can even use it for encoding with the on-board video chip :)

• @0xdragon said:
    The Pi is quite a good machine, and if you know how to, you can even use it for encoding with the on-board video chip :)

I have a model b at homw doing nothing as it doesny have a wifi adapter..

• @Void_Whisperer said:
    I have a model b at homw doing nothing as it doesny have a wifi adapter..

Buy yourself an RGB LED from an electronics shop and setup a notification light for triggers :)

GPIO pins are there for a reason!

• @rm_ as someone already said 250GB / month is included. If you run out, the server is not disconnected, but the speed will be limited to 2Mbps. You can buy extra bandwidth if you need, 1TB is $10.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

0xdragon said: It's 250GB and $10 per 1TB addon

That's... not so impressive then. Not going to rain (much) on uncle @rds100's parade, but overall this compares rather unfavorably to "some" low-end dedicated server offers in Europe.
    If you forget the novelty/cutesy/buzzword-effect of R Pi, a dedi with this performance, this amount of storage and this b/w should cost $5 at most, not $10+VAT.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2014

Well, as we say here - there are passengers for every train. Not everyone wants the same things. For now i'll focus on comparing with the other Raspberry (or ARM in general) offers, not on all dedi offers in general. Of course every Atom CPU out there is much more powerful than the ARM, and has more RAM, etc.

For now this is a new hardware for us, with unknown failure modes and failure rates, etc., which brings some risks in heavily investing in this and expecting long term ROI. So this increased risk justifies the $10 price for us. We look from our business point of view, of course the customers would want it for $2 if possible.

By the way we are also evaluating other ARM based solutions, the Raspberry Pi is not the best hardware out there.

• @rm_ said:
    If you forget the novelty/cutesy/buzzword-effect of R Pi, a dedi with this performance, this amount of storage and this b/w should cost $5 at most, not $10+VAT.

Could you point me to any current offers please? :)

• Photos @rds100? :). Otherwise I'll start scandalous rumours that you're running emulated RPi's via qemu on a spare Atom you have hanging around ;p

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2014

@craigb Hahahah :) Sorry, no photos for now. We are making some hardware mods to the RPis, plus custom hardware for powering, power control, etc. For now we do not want to make public the know how (you know, it's kind of competitive advantage, not that there is much competition in this niche).

Besides it's still in development, we are making some modifications for the future deployments based on lessons learned from the first batches.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @rds100 understandable...when I hear the march of the mutant RPi's from Bulgaria that broke out of your DC...will the remote power switch still work? ;)

"Аз ще се върна"

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @craigb luckily the RPis haven't reached that level ot autonomity yet, to mimic The Terminator. Besides we will make sure to only ever attach robotic arms to them, never robotic legs ;-)

• iSkyiSky Member

@rds100 can i prebook 1 of these, got late on the party :(

• @iSky sorry, no preorders. We have already ordered more of the Pis, they will probably arrive on Monday or Tuesday and we will release more stock then.

• iSkyiSky Member

@rds100 can you add me to your list, so you can pm me when they restocked ? :D

• Ok.

• Back in stock now.

• Oh, this is nice...! Problem is, what do I do with it?

• mpkossen said: Problem is, what do I do with it?

No idea. Show-off? :) The popularity of the Raspberry-Pi colocation services tells me that people do find some uses for their Raspberry Pis in a datacenter.