Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu English package installation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu English package installation

Hello

I had obtained a dedicated server from online.net for few testing works, not hosing some serious stuff, when i try to login to that it is communicating in French ( it seems they are a french company) and I am not aware of anything it says.

How to change the whole thing into English language, they have templates of CentOS/ Ubuntu and Debian which i can install anytime, presently its running ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Any detailed explanation will be highly appreciated since i am newbie to linux but can operate Linux servers.

Comments

• If you are familiar with using vi from terminal, try the following:

edit /etc/default/locale:

LANG="en_US"
    LANGUAGE="en_US:en"
    edit ~/.pam_environment:

LANG=en_US
    LANGUAGE=en_US
    Logout and Login or Reboot.

• not familiar but can learn

• BradBrad Member

In short, vi, or vim, is your basic text editor.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Brad said:
    In short, vi, or vim, is your basic text editor.

And by basic, he means bare-bone minimum.

• BradBrad Member

@Pwner said:
    And by basic, he means bare-bone minimum.

Still gets the job done (at least for me, anyways).
    Any other editors will work. Nano comes to mind.

• BayuBayu Member

nano is already installed on Ubuntu 12.0.4 LTS. It easier to use than vi. No need to press the Insert button to start editing, Esc and :wq! to save.

Just open with nano then press Crtl + C and Y (O in French) to save.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Is there any solution to edit this without using editor? Is there any option to change via command prompt

• The editor you use is via the SSH terminal. It's REALLY not that hard to do.

Thanked by 2netomx ucxo
  • exussumexussum Member
    edited March 2014

Vim is not bare bones minimum. Its gt more features than any text editor I know as default

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Is there any way to change without using editor?

• tuxtux Member

@programer said:
    Is there any way to change without using editor?

You can use echo command.

• You can use nano for editing text, I find it more comforting myself.

• Is there any simple editor for Linux preferably CentOS that is like Notepad?

• programer said:

Is there any simple editor for Linux preferably CentOS that is like Notepad?

OMFG! Stop already! Go back to your clickety clickety windows.

• nano /path/to/file.ext

do your shit

ctrl + x then y then enter to save it.

Thanked by 2netomx programer
  • Any other editors are there?

• @programer said:
    Any other editors are there?

nano is the easiest to use. If you can't deal with nano, you have absolutely no hope. Just stick with Windows.

Thanked by 3netomx programer ucxo
  • @socials said:
    nano is the easiest to use. If you can't deal with nano, you have absolutely no hope. Just stick with Windows.

Hello I want to stick to Windows but concerned with server we are forced to use Linux and we had learned a bit of CentOS, obviously yes we can use nano, we did it few times, just asked if any other are available.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@programer said:

Just f*cking do it already. The time you wrote that, was the time you could use to change the language.

Thanked by 3programer Pwner ucxo
  • Did it. Thanks

• And if you really want something like notepad you can setup X11 forwarding and run leafpad on your server