Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ VPS - DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ VPS - DNS

Hi,

I've disabled all the 'nameserver = xyz' entries in /etc/resolv.conf and checked for DNS entries in /etc/networking/interfaces (and there are none I can see) however my OpenVZ VPS is still resolving DNS some how.

Is there another place to look?

Thanks,

Comments

• DeanDean Member

Did you restart the DNS process / reboot the server?

• @DeanClinton

Yes I tried a service networking restart and a reboot.

• Why do you not want to resolve names in the first place?
    Also after a reboot /etc/resolv.conf will be automatically generated again.

• DeanDean Member

if you really want to stop an over-write of the resolv.conf, "chattr +i" it, but beware on some platforms this has stopped VPSes booting i've seen..

• @rds100 - i'm playing around with PowerDNS and i'm trying to test to see that it returns records. I'm doing dig @localhost mx mydomain.com but its returning Google's DNS's answers and not those within the local PowerDNS install - thus I want to kill external DNS just while I test.

• DeanDean Member

ok, so set the nameserver entry in resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1 and restart the process?

• @DeanClinton - I assume you mean /etc/init.d/networking restart ?

I edit resolv.conf and do this and it can still pickup DNS - Does the OpenVZ container host force DNS e.g. I can't do my own thing manually?

• DeanDean Member
    edited March 2014

First, edit resolv.conf to point it back to 127.0.0.1
    Then check the powerdns config isn't set to connect to an outside dns server (I've not used PowerDNS before).

service networking stop

service networking start

service networking restart

then ping google.com

Failing that, set the resolv.conf nameserver to 127.0.0.1 and chattr +i it, then reboot and see if it works. But you may need console access from the VPS panel if it's available as you may not be able to SSH in.

• Also make sure you don't have a program like resolvconf installed, which automatically overwrites the resolv.conf.