Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i approve this client?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should i approve this client?

PremiumNPremiumN Member
edited March 2014 in Help

Should i approve this client or should i refund him and not take the risk because he is listed here (according to http://www.ip-score.com/):

Please let me know your thoughts. This guy ordered a domain and hosting account.

Thanks!

Comments

• i think u can approve him. i am too bad than him lol.. i don't accept this shit.. :D

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2014

You don't know background so It's hard to tell. I would not reject doing business with someone based only at some webpage check which tells us nothing about what's going on.

edit.
    I checked "More BLs" at this webpage, saw "l2.apews.org: Listed" went to http://www.apews.org, entered my IP and saw complete AS from my cable ISP listed with: ISP permits abuse and/or ignores criminal activity

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • wychwych Member

Fraud Record show anything?

• My IP has the level "poor" at the Barracuda BBL too. And I don't even know why (I requested a removal with valid information, but they denied it.). I wouldn't take it as seriously if the client is listed on one of this blacklist. Maybe the ISP is blacklisted or whatever.

• You need to be looking at a lot more than this. Which country is this customer located?

• @IceCream , yeah i agreed with @IceCream. i also think that the ISP has been blacklisted. :D

• Another reason i suspect is that their name is obviously wrong as they've used the same name in both the 'First name' and 'second name' section and address is the same.

• Consider other factors, and not just IP address alone. IP address can be shared or dynamically used by several ISP customers.

• What risk? Did you really trust?

• Some people only have one word name, without family/last name, depending on the country/culture he originated from. In this matter they put the name into both first and last name as both fields are required, though some other people just add "Mr." on the first name field.

If you are concerned, however, take the safe side, refund him then say he doesn't pass security checks and refuse service. This should have been outlined in your TOS.

• @PremiumN - if you have any question over the validity of the customer, then you are always better of rejecting them. You'll only end up paying costs if it turns into a chargeback.

• Would you reject me, if I'm "just" listed on the Barracuda BBl?

• I wouldn't base a decision on that type of information. Blacklists are not designed to make credit decisions just whether I'd want to accept your mail :)

• @PremiumN said:
    Should i approve this client or should i refund him and not take the risk because he is listed here (according to http://www.ip-score.com/):

Please let me know your thoughts. This guy ordered a domain and hosting account.

Thanks!

I'm listed with whatever Barracuda is too. I show low risk with Spamhaus, not Clear. It's a dynamic IP from Turk Telecom. So this shows us random dynamic IPs from home DSL ISPs can be listed for no reason. Thus I don't see a reason to not approve this client, unless the IPs provider's country does not match the client's claimed location.

• My home ip (dynamic) is stated as "poor" in this list, and is clean in all other major lists. It is not connected with a certain client, it is an ip from my isp that can be changed if i reboot my router. They don't even state any details about the reason of listing.

• PwnerPwner Member

I don't know about you guys, but if my host is deciding whether or not to approve me based on an IP that has been caught in 1 out of 4 blacklists...well I'm not sure if that's the trusted/reliable host I'd want to use.

• PremiumN said: Another reason i suspect is that their name is obviously wrong as they've used the same name in both the 'First name' and 'second name'

If it's Owen Owen or Thomas Thomas he could be Welsh :)

• kerouac said: I'm listed with whatever Barracuda is too

It's Barracuda Networks, they've been around for ages... commercial products such as Barracuda Spam Firewall and Barracuda Backup. And they're behind copy.com, which enjoyed some popularity here :)

Their dnsbl is a community project. I've used it for over a year and find it excellent.

• We'll simply refund it for those client who can't even fill their name.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @PremiumN said:
    Another reason i suspect is that their name is obviously wrong as they've used the same name in both the 'First name' and 'second name' section and address is the same.

For the name, you may read http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mononymous_person

• Phone them up and decide for yourself whether you can take their business. At the very least you can confirm he gave you correct details.

• awsonawson Member

is this a real question

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@awson said:
    is this a real question

No, this is you dreaming.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2014

@PremiumN

You could, and then your new customer is gonna be like...

and you gonna be like...

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • The fact is you really shouldn't need to screen the IP of a client unless it doesn't match the location/ISP hostname of said client. Of course, if they have a static IP and have been spamming and getting blacklisted on purpose (stupid!) then that might be a problem.

Honestly, blacklists are pretty weird with blocking whole subnets, and they probably just went ahead and blocked the entire consumer range.

@marcm Yeah... No.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • marcmmarcm Member

0xdragon said: @marcm Yeah... No.

Just trying to bring a bit of humor to the discussion, however you're right about blacklists. As someone else mentioned, a phone conversation with the client should clarify things for OP. If still in doubt, asking for scanned ID isn't unheard of.

• tchentchen Member

Trust your spidey sense

Thanked by 1mikho
  • ID say approving him or not depends totally on you. But spamhaus isnt now sth problematic. Cheers