Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host a website on localhost(on my PC)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host a website on localhost(on my PC)

i want to host a website on my pc.i am using windows xp pc. and my router is ZTE w300.i want to use my xampp or wamp on WAN.how to do this? can anyone help me.I tried everything to do this.but i couldn't yet. help me guys.

Thank You!

Comments

• MunMun Member
    edited March 2014

it would probably be better to by a 30$ a year vps as it will be harder to maintain your website from your home connection.

However, if you still really want to.

Install WAMP
    Login to your router and forward port 80 to your IP address.
    install DYNDNS on your computer
    Create account
    Find a domain you like and cname to the DYNDNS address
    Test.

Should be roughly the gist.

Mun

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @Mun, can i use no-ip too? can u explain more about this. i just want to know this for educational purpose.i think that i can use this in future .. :D

• MunMun Member

Yes you can use No-ip as well.

Long story short you are taking your domain, and telling it to look at no-ip/dyndns for what IP it needs to get the info from. It then sends a packet to your router which takes all port 80 traffic and forwards it to your computer.

I still think it is better for you to learn how to do it on a VPS instead. You really wouldn't be hosting anything of major usage on your personal computer.

Mun

• ChathulaChathula Member
    edited March 2014

@Mun, i have tried this with no-ip before i ask this from here. but yet i couldn't do it.as it i had to reset my router too.because i forwarded the port 80.then i couldn't log into my router.do i want to make some changes in apache file or any other file?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I think that's a really horrible router.

• @shovenose, why did u say like that? :p

• Chathula said: @shovenose, why did u say like that? :p

Chathula said: then i couldn't log into my router

You answered your own question.

Also, @Mun, I don't think he can afford one of those LEBs, that's why he's hosting it on a Windows XP. :/

• @GIANT_CRAB, i have used VPSs.but i just want to learn how to do this. :D don't think about my pc. it is a damn one... :p

• i try it long ago. just easy. router need to forward port.

I will give anybody here my old WNDR3700 for $7+shipping. (US only). LowEndShipping :)

• @shovenose, i am from Sri lanka.. :-(

@shyaminayesh, i must try this shit.. :D

Find somebody to ship it to you internationally or something lol. The router even had built in dyndns support and stuff like that to make it really easy to port forward. Dual band wirless n. You would just have to find a 12v power supply for what ever kind of power you have lol.

• ZTE W300 also have dyndns supp.. but i think i couldn't find a person to ship it too me.. sooo bad.. :-(

Well I think your router is going to giveyou problems. But on an entirely different topic I do not recommend no-ip it's bad.

• @shovenose, what to do bro. i haven't lot of money to buy new pc or router.. i think next year will be good. :D

• RophRoph Member

Why windows XP? Support ends very soon - and opening up an XP server to the web sounds very dumb.

• @Roph, i can't use any other OS with my pc. my ram is 1GB and i don't have enough disk space to use windows 7.i can't use linux. because i have many works with Photoshop(i have to use PS actions) . thats why i am using xp. i will buy a new PC next year. :D

• Steal a Pc or buy macbook fake

• @infected, i have a idea to buy a macbook.. let see.. :D it is very costly.. uhhhh

• hahaa finally someone on my facebook, is here ^_^

Don't bother to host web sites on your home PC apart from testing stuff on localhost. VPS's are so cheap these days and you can get one for around $7 per year

• @Ruchirablog, hey bro.. :D

nope.. i just want to learn it. these days i don't want any VPS.. bcs i have A/L this year lol.. :D

• @Chathula said:
    Roph, i can't use any other OS with my pc. my ram is 1GB and i don't have enough disk space to use windows 7.i can't use linux. because i have many works with Photoshop(i have to use PS actions) . thats why i am using xp. i will buy a new PC next year. :D

I'm not too sure why you couldn't use Linux, since XP's RAM usage is presumably higher than that of pretty much any Linux distro. If you're worried about Photoshop, you can use Wine to run it (CS6 is fairly well supported), or simply switch to GIMP.

Honestly, running a website on a 10-year old, soon-to-be unsupported OS, and moreso on a home PC, is no more no less dangerously exposing yourself to attackers. I frankly expect your PC to be hacked into at some point; or, if it isn't that, you could get DDoS'd. I'm sure your ISP wouldn't like that.

• @iceTwy, i can't use Photoshop with WINE. bcs i have to use PS actions. wine doesn't support for it well.i have tried it. :D i am using CS5. :D i can't use my actions with GIMP.i tried it too. :D i hate my ISP too lol.. :p

as i said, i just want to learn this.. :D

• MunMun Member

hmmm, you might not be able to because of your internet provider. Can you please do a traceroute to google.com?

tracert google.com I think is the command.

Mun

• ChathulaChathula Member
    edited March 2014
    Tracing route to google.com [222.165.163.176]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
      2     5 ms     4 ms     5 ms  220.247.232.102
      3     6 ms    14 ms     5 ms  222.165.184.194
      4     5 ms     5 ms    10 ms  222.165.184.193
      5     5 ms     5 ms     5 ms  222.165.175.66
      6     6 ms     6 ms     5 ms  222.165.163.176

Trace complete.

• MunMun Member

Ahh then yes you can, I don't see anything that would limit you from hosting your own web site.

Try DynDNS this time though.

Mun

• dnomdnom Member

Try not using port 80 since it's probably being used by your router. Port forward another port(XXXX) to YOURIP:80 then try accessing YOURIP:XXXX to make sure it works. If all is good then you can work on the DNS stuff.

• You forward incoming connections to port 80 on the router's WAN interface to your computer.

Your login to you router on the LAN interface.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

It would be a good thing to check if no other applications are using port 80 already (Skype etc.)

• @Mark_R, i don't use skype or TV these days.. :D