Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We Love Servers - Forum Feedback?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

We Love Servers - Forum Feedback?

nimdynimdy Member
edited March 2014 in General

Does anyone have any feedback on this company? I took out a 1GB VPS a few months ago for some personal website hosting and general usage. I was really impressed with their service at first - I bought a US server, but was promised a free migration to a UK server when they were in stock. This went smoothly.

It was going fine until I started to have really bad slow downs on the server. I asked for them to migrate me to another node. They did this and then I started to have problems accessing the server (see my other thread recently). I realise these kinds of providers do not offer full technical support, but I would expect the service to work at a minimum. Over the past few days I've re-opened existing tickets to say that issues that were fixed have occurred again. I get one line responses saying it is my iptables configuration. As I haven't made any changes to iptables on my server, how can this be my issue? iptables is something that I don't fully understand, so I don't mess with it!

I took out a second service with them so that I could have both a UK and a US server. This morning my uptime monitor says the US server is not responding. Sure enough a ticket to the provider says that someone has been misusing my server. Their only suggestion is to reinstall the image. Does this sound like a normal suggestion to a problem like this?

I suppose I am a little disapointed that i've been using VPS's for hobby reasons for a while and have had no real problems with them. Now that I am hosting a few personal websites I seem to have these issues so my only options are to stay with the provider or look into migrating my websites elsewhere.

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

said: This morning my uptime monitor says the US server is not responding. Sure enough a ticket to the provider says that someone has been misusing my server. Their only suggestion is to reinstall the image. Does this sound like a normal suggestion to a problem like this?

It sounds like the suggestion there is that your VPS has been compromised. In that case, a reinstall is the sensible option.

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2014

@Nekki said:

Good Shout.

I used them one US box for a while and they had no issues giving a new IP (original was blacklisted with Hotmail). Support was prompt and straight to the point. Looking to pick a UK box up soon.

• nimdynimdy Member

I'm quite happy to reinstall the US box as I have nothing of importance running on it. It is the UK box that is annoying me. I cant work out what has gone wrong with it. A reinstall would be worthwhile on that one too but I need to migrate/backup my wordpress sites to another server while I do it. As a beginner it took me a while to get the server set up as I need it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

For the UK box, logon via console in SolusVM and flush the iptables rules out from there. If that doesn't resolve your issue, then it's clearly not an iptables issues, and you can go back to support and advise them.

• nimdynimdy Member

@Nekki said:
    For the UK box, logon via console in SolusVM and flush the iptables rules out from there. If that doesn't resolve your issue, then it's clearly not an iptables issues, and you can go back to support and advise them.

Thanks Nekki. Is that the iptables -F command?

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited March 2014

Yes. If you are running CentOS, it restricts much of the traffic by default. iptables -F will clear out all rules until reboot.

@nimdy said:

• nimdynimdy Member

Sorry I should have mentioned before, I am running Debian. Is the command still the same?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@nimdy said:

That'll do it, although it might be worth you checking the rules with the -F flag before flushing, just to see what's in there.

• nimdynimdy Member

I have used the list switch/flag before and got this. I assume it means there are no rules in place?

root@cloud6:~# iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I'd say so. Flush'em anyway so you can say you've done it, then bounce it back to support.

• orenjiorenji Member
    edited March 2014

years ago i have 500 Mbps
    but in 2014 just small speed

• akzakz Member

their florida location has had 100% uptime since Ive gotten it, aside from the few minutes of restarts.

• nimdynimdy Member

The provider has been back in touch with me. He says no other users are having this issue, so he reckons it is either my configuration or something I've installed. He recommends reinstalling. I'd need to migrate my wordpress sites to another server first though. Just had a look at Wordpress Duplicator plugin which seems to package the whole site up and provides an installer file for the new server - just the simplicity I'm after.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@nimdy what exactly is the issue you're facing?

• I have 2x UK with them and so far all is good. Happy customer here.

• I was with them, their support generally is ok. I used their LA node, unfortunately they use colocrossing and colocrossing's network doesnt work right. WLS was nice enough to offer me full refund since I guess they can't do much with colocrossing network.

• have a VPS with them in UK, sometimes i have awefull i/o but i only use this box for Remote Desktop so dont really bother, they have a fast Support Dept

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited March 2014

@nimdy said:

Even I bought the $19 per year 1GB ram VPS from them. I got the NY one and then moved on to UK VPS when they got the new stock. The performance was amazing in the beginning: [both the benchmarks are of the UK VPS]

:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 2266.869 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1024 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1280 MB
    System uptime : 8:26,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 62.6MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 12.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 10.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.32MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL:
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 51.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.58MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 8.13MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 8.59MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 15.5MB/s
    I/O speed : 268 MB/s

but now, it has dropped horribly:

:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz
    CPU frequency : 2266.993 MHz
    System uptime : 27 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 25.8MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 1.88MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 1.75MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.10MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.34MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 10.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.99MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 1.26MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.61MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 2.09MB/s
    I/O speed : 113 MB/s

I am considering moving to Ramnode once the service ends. Could you benchmark your VPS and paste it here too pls.

• ahmiqahmiq Member

113 MB/s , is not horrible at tall. Anything above 50 MB/s is acceptable for me and i think for most of the needs.

I have been with WLS for sometime now , and before they had SSD caching , the perforamce was very slow , the network was good though.

After the SSD caching , the I/O has improved. and i dont have any problems with them. for 19 USD/Year , Such Diskspace / Ram and Bandwidth is quite cheap. I do have ramnode vps too , but as the quality increases , so does the price.

So if you can afford more , yeah sure go on for another provider. But i presonally think that chris is doing a wonderfull job running WLS , though i am not much fan of their support , but still the responise times are very great.

• orenjiorenji Member
    edited March 2014

@ahmiq said:
    113 MB/s , is not horrible at tall. Anything above 50 MB/s is acceptable for me and i think for most of the needs.

I have been with WLS for sometime now , and before they had SSD caching , the perforamce was very slow , the network was good though.

After the SSD caching , the I/O has improved. and i dont have any problems with them. for 19 USD/Year , Such Diskspace / Ram and Bandwidth is quite cheap. I do have ramnode vps too , but as the quality increases , so does the price.

So if you can afford more , yeah sure go on for another provider. But i presonally think that chris is doing a wonderfull job running WLS , though i am not much fan of their support , but still the responise times are very great.

was said by ahmiq its true, the money was talk, i have VPS in WLS (london location) i bought 19$/year. but for tunneling for mobile broadband not bad, that's enough for my country, hhehe

speed my vps now

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited March 2014

I have been using WLS for nearly 7 months by now and I am extremely happy with whatever I got for the price. Fast response, decent benchmarks and quite ok uptime. And for $19/year it's just a fantastic machine :)

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    CPU frequency :  3500.000 MHz
    Total amount of swap : 2280 MB
    System uptime :   29 days, 12:29,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 53.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 27.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 23.3MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.50MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.82MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 14.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.09MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 18.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 17.3MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 53.5MB/s 
    I/O speed :  221 MB/s

I definitely like them :)

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited March 2014

Mine is in Florida:

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz
    CPU frequency : 3500.024 MHz
    System uptime : 9 days, 6:48,
    Download speed from CacheFly IPv4: 38.1MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL IPv4: 1.14MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL IPv6: 1.35MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Amsterdam, NL IPv4: 726KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 1.74MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Frankfurt, DE: 692KB/s
    Download speed from OVH, Paris, FR: 1.00MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Newark, NJ: 2.60MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 2.76MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 1.89MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.77MB/s
    Download speed from Weloveservers, Orlando, FL: 38.6MB/s
    Download speed from Weloveservers, Kent, UK: 1.95MB/s
    I/O speed : 166 MB/s

I/O is good but the peering/network speed is pretty bad, especially to Europe. But they have IPv6 :)

• nimdynimdy Member
    edited March 2014

The results for my US Buffalo server:

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 3399.998 MHz Total amount of ram : 1024 MB Total amount of swap : 1280 MB System uptime : 17:27, Download speed from CacheFly: 9.83MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.53MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 6.56MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.70MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 5.85MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.85MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.89MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.21MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 5.32MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 11.0MB/s I/O speed : 199 MB/s

The UK one is still playing up. I'll make sure I've got everything migrated to the US server before I reinstall the OS image and do a bench.

Just to clarify, I am not complaining about the $19 price. I think it is a very good service for the price. I have had quick support response, and up until recently a solid service. I cant work out why I am having these problems and nor can the provider. I do not blame anyone for that. I just hope a reinstall is what it needs.