Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VolumeDrive. Yay or Nay?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VolumeDrive. Yay or Nay?

Yes I dare say it, I am considering a VolumeDrive server. Now before everyone says it, I am not looking to host anything of critical importance. If I did, I would be looking at a high end dedicated server from an enterprise provider, or a cloud server.

I don't need anything too fancy so keeping my "low end" requirement in mind, price is of importance. Interested in VD's Dual core server offering.

I have yet to find a webhost to have beat their Dual core dedicated server pricing of $19.95/month. Delimiter was an option, but I decided against that as I read they are having some provisioning problems lately, so gonna let them sort that out before considering them. I imagine that they are selling faster than they can handle, which is understandable when you sell Atoms at $10/month.

Before you go on about the past events, I am well-aware of the debacle that happened with Burst and VD. I am looking for experiences after they have moved to the new facility. How's the uptime and network? Is support existent? Thank you for your time! -m.

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Their network is just a single homed cogent connection (http://bgp.he.net/AS46664). One of the major things that put me off about them even more is them being sued for running off with some hardware. (http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/17955/volumedrive-being-sued/p1).

• Any news or updates regarding the lawsuit? Haven't heard anything in the past couple months or maybe I'm behind with the times... -m.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

macecis said: Any news or updates regarding the lawsuit?

I'm not too sure to be honest with you.

• marcmmarcm Member

There's a 3rd option: Yanay!

• @macecis - on WHT i think it was mentioned that they had settled out of court and paid at least the Hardware provider what was owed. (if i remember correctly)

• I am also considering them if my present choice of a good VPS is not working.. I had few servers with them some time back, had no issues in operating them, it seems recently they had some issue, hope they will make a come back

• Nay.

• @macecis said:
    I have yet to find a webhost to have beat their Dual core dedicated server pricing of $19.95/month.

There is a reason for that . . . it costs money to provide service.

There is no magic formula to get around that, short of defaulting on lease payments and jumping from colo to colo to avoid paying bills. Oh, wait . . .

• Is it really not viable to provide a dedicated server at that price?

• @programer said:
    Is it really not viable to provide a dedicated server at that price?

Pull out your calculator.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2014

@macecis - you know their background and no doubt have searched and found the common issues with them, so on that basis why not? They are not the best but equally they serve a purpose.