Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UGVPS IP addresses marked as 'Indonesian' by Google
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UGVPS IP addresses marked as 'Indonesian' by Google

Has anyone encountered this issue before? When I access Google services using my VPS (with UGVPS) in Buffalo as well as in Atlanta, Google detects my country as 'Indonesia'.

I have a ticket open with them for more than a month now to provide new IP addresses but there has been no progress yet.

Comments

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited March 2014

I don't mean to speak for another provider, but this is fairly common. My understanding is that someone used the IP block and told Google their language was CountryX. Google then presumed the entire block was from CountryX. It doesn't actually effect the geolocation or other traits of the IP block, just what it comes up as when you go to Google.

Source: We have one or two blocks that come up as India, Germany, etc...

There probably isn't much your provider can do about it.

Thanked by 1neel
  • tommytommy Member

as bluevm said :)
    clear cache, log out from any google services and try again.

• where are you accessing the site from..??

I usually get Google detects mine as Indonesia with BlueVM(squid),but recently with RamNode(squid) IP I get co.nz.....probably because of google detects you text language and browser setting and pc setting and bla bla bla...=)

by the way,I'm accessing google from malaysia...

• I see this kind of thing often and it can trigger fraud counter measures in Google and other services... I used to use whois and a geolocation DB but I've ended up using maxmind.

• neelneel Member

Thanks for the replies people. That clears a few things for me. All other Geolocation services return the country as USA except for Google. @Shamli, I access Google using squid on my VPS, pretty much what you are doing.