Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can i startX on a LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can i startX on a LEB?

cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
edited April 2012 in General

If yes, what is the min spec?

Comments

• Not really, you typically don't have a graphics card.

You can do something like run a vncserver.

• Here's a Tutorial from SecureDragon.
    Apparently you can get a basic GUI going on 96MB, not tried it myself though.

https://my.securedragon.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=40

• if you forward x then yes. follow the tutorial above for best results

• aubsaubs Member

Check which builds you have. There may be one with desktop support. I had one with a 1GB VPS.

• Sure it is possible, just dont try to run a full Gnome/KDE desktop with less then 512 MB of RAM. Use xfce or another lightweight window manager (if needed).

• I prefer Vnc with either openbox or flwm. Although xfce has worked for me on a 128mb vps too.

• Using another X server to display your apps not the same as starting X on the LEB.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

@Damian said: I would recommend at least 512MB of ram.

That's only for GNOME and desktop environments of the such. It is definately possible if you use a lightweight desktop environment like Fluxbox, IceWM etc.

EDIT: I'm quite late, I had the page loaded but only typed my reply just now. Damnit.

• @charliecron said: Using another X server to display your apps

X-forwarding works great over a low-latency connection, but once the ping exceeds 75 ms or so it starts to become unusable. Using xrdp to proxy vnc seems to be the best solution I've found. Of course, if you need X just because some non-interactive app doesn't like running headless, just use xvfb.

• @KuJoe has XFCE and VNC running on 32mb of ram :P

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@TheHackBox said: @KuJoe has XFCE and VNC running on 32mb of ram :P

Current usage with 1 VNC connection to XFCE4 + Lighttpd + pptpd is 44MB, trying to find a light enough web browser to use.

• "trying to find a light enough web browser to use."

netsurf-gtk is best lightweight browser I've found. It's in Ubuntu 11.10. Debian 6 has midori which isn't too bad.

The Dillo project is back from the dead and dillo version 3 even does CSS. It still has some rendering issues, but you can't beat it for size and speed. It's pretty easy to compile/install.

uzbl and surf are also pretty lightweight, but not as nice to use. Surf's memory footprint starts multiplying when you open more tabs.

I've been using fvwm for my vnc sessions, it's very lightweight and it does what I need.
    Since gnome 3/unity came out I've gone back to fvwm on my desktop too.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: Current usage with 1 VNC connection to XFCE4 + Lighttpd + pptpd is 44MB, trying to find a light enough web browser to use.

Arora?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Links2!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I'm going to rebuild the VPS and try to get LXDE or JWM installed to play with.