Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My VPS Provider Made Me a Joke
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My VPS Provider Made Me a Joke

I hate to write bad things, but I just want to share a bad experience.
I found this provider in LEB 4 years ago. With lots of positive reviews, I jumped into their pool.
For these years, no major isssues and I'm a happy customer. They gained my trust, and I bought more VPS with them.

2 days ago, I received a maintenance email. I ignored it as it stated it will takes only 10 minutes.
After the maintenace, I start getting up/down notifications from Uptime Robot.
I was away from my computer so I choose to ignore the issues while I believed their professional skills will handle it well.

This morning, I'm still getting these annoying up/down notifications. I awared that something very wrong.
I SSH'ed into my VPS and found that system load reaching 6. OMG, that's aweful. I quickly do a soft reboot and hopefully everything will back to normal.
Unfortunately, system load coming back again after the reboot.

I submited a ticket and a staff reported it's my applications eating up the RAM.
That's weird, I rarely touch this VPS and issues came in right after the maintenance.
Fine, I believed this is my fault. It was Debian 6, I rebuild the VPS with Debian 7 and installed Nginx, PHP, and MySQL to make sure my website running again.
Sadly, the system load issue hunting me again. A quick check found that MySQL server is consuming a lot of CPU resources.
By looking into MySQL process list, I saw a lot queries are jammed in sorting state. This is weird, I susepected something wrong with the disk I/O.

I killed all my processes, and system load back to normal.

# uptime
15:15:12 up 3:57, 1 user, load average: 0.15, 0.37, 2.61

Let's run a disk I/O test:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 39.7027 s, 27.0 MB/s

WTH! Why the disk I/O speed is so slow? I quickly replied to the support ticket with my results.
Unfortunately, I got a rudest reply. They applied IO caps to their service due to abuse. If I need to get rid of it, I need to upgrade to SSD plan...
This is really sad and disappointing, I can't even run a single website in this box anymore.

I'm so suprised that this is the lowest IO speed I ever get among my VPS from other providers.
Now, I have no choice but left my website offline and planning for a migration to other provider...

Comments

• @seikan did they notify their customers about the caps (email/Announcements area)? Is it a blanket cap on all customers or those deemed to be "abuse the service" (not saying you did)

• @craigb said:
    seikan did they notify their customers about the caps (email/Announcements area)? Is it a blanket cap on all customers or those deemed to be "abuse the service" (not saying you did)

They never mentioned that until I questioned the IO speed. I has been told they applied IO caps to all services on the node. I guess all customers in the node are affected.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • What virtualization is this?

• @serverian said:
    What virtualization is this?

OpenVZ.

Finally they figured out it was a hardware issue. I has been migrated to another node and issue resolved~ Huh...

• VPNVPN Member

@seikan said:
    Finally they figured out it was a hardware issue. I has been migrated to another node and issue resolved~ Huh...

Wow, so first they say it's because of an IO cap to prevent abuse. Then they say that you've been moved to another node to fix the 'issue' that they had previously admitted wasn't an issue and was deliberate.

Fail support is fail.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Mistakes do happen, especially after maintenance, I would give it another chance, if it is a one-off in 4 years...

• Why dont tell us your provider? Feedbacks arent forbidden.

• seikanseikan Member
    edited March 2014

@OkieDoke @Maounique
    I think the support staff is lack of experience. I just don't like he blaming my applications ate up the RAM without further checking. My VPS used up all the RAM because the processes hanged due slow IO. My website was running for years without problems and suddenly issues coming in after a maintenance. Very obvious something is wrong with the server.

@trexos said:
    Why dont tell us your provider? Feedbacks arent forbidden.

Let's make this a mystery...

• @seikan You said that they replied rudely, why give them another chance? They should apologize their asses off.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

If you don't name the provider, this can be passed as whining.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

seikan said: I just don't like he blaming my applications ate up the RAM without further checking.

If you feel that way, you should name the provider, the host will know something is wrong and will get more staffers or train the current ones, At least contact them in PM and point to this thread if they are active there.