Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Website Design
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Website Design

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited April 2012 in General

Finally am rolling out my new website design from Craftsvision.com who did a really great job on things.

http://www.frontrangehosting.com/

Gotta get my chat server integrated into it :/ lol crap.

Comments

• flyfly Member

dropdowns on the main navbar are super slow.
    also, the mountains look great :)
    however, white text on white = no no.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2012

It looks great, just a few remarks:
    * On my 1920x1080 monitor, the top background image doesn't stretch the full width of the page; I have a small bit of black background left on the right-hand side of it.
    * The bottom button in a dropdown menu changes shape/height slightly when mousing over (different border-radius?)
    * The text on the slider images/slides is a bit hard to read, might want to put a slightly more defined shadow behind it.
    * The footer is very heard to read, a bit of shadow/outline would probably make that a lot better.
    * I think you could rather easily achieve the buttons with CSS rather than images, which would make them look a bit smoother, would allow for easy hover effects, and it would improve the page loading time,

EDIT: I have to second that the dropdowns are a bit too slow.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

I definately prefer this to your previous design, however the slider bit, just below the navigation should have a bit that is maybe black at 80% transparent to make the text easier to read, a similar sort of thing should be done to the footer.

Another thing I just noticed, the buttons image, have some very old fashioned font, I suggest that gets changed.

• NickMNickM Member

Why are "Web Hosting" and "VPS" dropdown menus when there's only one item in them?

• FreekFreek Member

Like said above, dropdowns are slow and the 'The Key to Your SUCCESS, Front Range Hosting!' text is in a different font.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I loved the background and your logo :P

@netomx said: I loved the background and your logo :P

No criticism? ;(
    You ruined the spirit of LET.. j/k

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Infinity said: No criticism? ;(

You ruined the spirit of LET.. j/k

OK... YOU ARE USING "HITSNIFFER TRACKING CODE"

is that better? hahaha

• @Infinity said: Another thing I just noticed, the buttons , have some very old fashioned font, I suggest that gets changed.

It just looks like 12px bold Tahoma without any form of antialiasing

edited April 2012

@dancom96 said: It just looks like 12px bold Tahoma without any form of antialiasing

Yeah, could be, I wasn't serious when I said old fashioned font.. I was refering to the lack of anti-aliasing although I don't think it's Tahoma.

• That background image is horrid on my monitor.

The right side has a huge gap and it is a huge black gap in between the top and bottom of the page. I think it is supposed to be like this, but the bottom part does not blend in with the black, for a seamless transition.

Also, I am not sure if green is a good choice to fit with your background image. Seems far too bright.

• AsimAsim Member

Im sure its highlighted already but the menu's are damn slow.

• Hm, don't really like the background image.. not sure if the website goes with it either.

• The background at the bottom is just plain crap. However, the background at the top of the mountains, can be made to look really good. Maybe add a transparent overlay behind the text.

A site that made a nature background work excellent together with text is http://www.thordc.com/ have a look at their environment page (which is still one of my favorite website designs)

Also, maybe have a look at open fonts on http://www.google.com/webfonts to make the font more "modern" maybe.

Another thing that might help is converting the buttons to CSS3 with gradients with a nice hover effect, there are plenty of guides and useful sites on the internet.

• Thanks for the comments I'll make some corrections when I get home.

So some as drop downs when they have multiple items are fine, but single item drop downs don't drop them down.

I agree a shadow will help, looked good on my monitor, but I needed some critic's to critique it.

• I see you're using Akamai?

• OneTwoOneTwo Member
    edited April 2012

tl;tr

i think that there should be a space under the "order now" button in the vps page.

awesome design thought.

• @Infinity said: I was refering to the lack of anti-aliasing

anti-aliasing just makes text look blurry to me.

• Great site! First impressions when I open it are good. As someone has mentioned the Order Now buttons: they are very close to the edge of the box. Overall, great, unique design.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6514943/Screenshots/kkj0b2vdp9xq.png

• nocomnocom Member

to big images - top 363.87 KB , agree with Centaur you dont need background at the bottom also to big 349.91 KB
    OMG all images are big page in total 1.01 MB

• Okay drop down menu is working better had to adjust some settings. I'll play with content in the menu itself and see what I like.

I use Akamai for a CDN to speed up page load times, started it with a ski & snowboard blog I run, but then started integrating it into my other websites. Technically it's RackSpace Cloudfiles.

Fixed the non matching font.

Thought I fixed the VPS page boxes Grr

Thought I was okay with photoshop, but can't seem to make the transparency a little opaque with a different layer, all I get is a damn solid background. blargh. Sent that one back to be fixed.

Will be optimizing some of the images into something smaller, and looking into CSS buttons as well.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited April 2012

Looks really good

No way to return home from the inner pages (logo not clickable)

The scroll rate seems a tad high

I think a transparent dark background for your images is needed, too hard to read white text over the mountain... like a transparent carbon fiber type background to layer the scrolling images over. (already been said sry)

Dont forget to 301 www./index.html /index.html to the domain root, as well as pick www. or naked

Need some creative juices and do something with the bottom of the page, too flat and black (not what she said). The footer links on the inners are not on the home page.. that may help a little

• Coding up those footer links I cut them out for a little bit.

Will have to come up with something for the bottom.

Thanks y'all

• @dmmcintyre3 said: anti-aliasing just makes text look blurry to me.

You browsing under *nix? Fonts/AA never look as good as they do in *nix as they do under Windows (though with some tweaking it's not too bad).

• Working on CSS buttons on the VPS page. http://www.frontrangehosting.com/vps.html

Not as large as the images, but I'm all for reducing load times.

• Working on the sliders, what does anyone think of the transparency I put behind the text on the first slide when the page loads?

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

A little darker perhaps? I perhaps a different font too.

• @Kairus said: You browsing under *nix? Fonts/AA never look as good as they do in *nix as they do under Windows (though with some tweaking it's not too bad).

I use Macs most of the time.