Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still having problems with Xeoncross' lowendscript
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Still having problems with Xeoncross' lowendscript

drmikedrmike Member
edited September 2011 in General

Greets:

Let me begin by saying that I'm very frustrated by this. Please excuse me.

I'm trying once again to get Xeoncross' lowendscript to work and I'm still having issues. Hoping someone can help.

I've done a bunch of editing to fix the issues that I've had previously. I still can't get my head wrapped around how php is getting invoked though. Looking at the script, I'm seeing lines that both cgi and mvc are being used. In fact it appears to me that the wordpress portion of the script is calling phpcgi while domain is calling mvc. It looks like when I do a top, I'm running phpcgi. I'm going to go with that.

If you think that mvc is better, right now I don't want to hear it. (Excuse me. I'm really ticked. I'm going on like hour 3 on this. I have better things to be doing.)

The include line in the conf file is this:

include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_php;

There is nothing on the server with that file name. Done a updatedb and a locate, gone looking, etc. I'm thinking it sould be:

include fastcgi_params;

Yes? No?

Can someone please kindly help?

Thanks

Comments

• I just figured it out. The include should be pointing at:

/etc/nginx/php.conf

It's mentioned further up in the file. Sorry for the trouble.

• lol mike :D

• Not been a fun day.

And then to boot, our svn/trac provider is kicking our nothing but errors so I can't push out any code.

If that script was on a svn somewhere, I'd submit the fixes. Not setup to do git. And still no clue why the script talks about mvc but doesn't appear to set it up.

• Is just an example I guess (about mvc)

• Hey @drmike, you have my email so feel free to ping me with any questions.

The script sets up two nginx configs for handling passing requests to PHP.

# Sites that have multiple .php file entry points (nginx > 0.7.27) 
    /etc/nginx/php.conf

Which is for Wordpress and other systems that have many "entry-points" like wp-admin.php, index.php, otherfile.php, etc.

# MVC frameworks with only a single index.php entry point (nginx > 0.7.27)
    /etc/nginx/php.mvc.conf

PHP frameworks use a single index.php file which receive the request and then route it to the correct controller. (CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Zend, etc..)

Depending on what you are running you need to chose one or the other.

Incidentally, I am planing some updates to my script in the near future (testing right now) to move to PHP-FPM and add Postfix/PostgreSQL support. I will also be fixing the domain function.

• I know I have about 8-10 tickets logged about the script.

Part of the problem is that you're referencing mvc but not setting it up in the script.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited September 2011

And it appears that the setup of itables causes an issue when sftp gets run because I just got locked out of my vps.

I haven't confirmed that so I won't open up a ticket but just wanted to throw that out there.

• Sorry @drmike, I don't get emails when issues are created on lowendadmin's copy of the repository. It's rather silly how github has it setup actually. Here he has to deal with all these issues that don't even apply to his codebase.

• I'm hijacking this thread to ask a question about the lowendscript.

I'm using it to "strip down" the installation, so I'm only using the "system" and "optimize" commands . However it seems to do the opposite. I start off with 30-ish MB used and end up with 120+ (according to free -m).

Anyone have any idea what's going on, cause ps aux doesn't really show any process using up that much memory.

• After all the changes to the system, there might be extra swap or something that is no longer used - but still reported. You might want to check htop or top and see whats running - and if nothing sticks out then just restart the server to see if that clears everything.

• Restart does nothing. Server is currently hovering around 112 used.

~# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           128        112         15          0          0        105
    -/+ buffers/cache:          7        120
    Swap:          128          3        124

Nothing is using up resources, bash is the biggest %mem user with 1.3%.

vmstat agrees with free -m.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited September 2011

@sDsB, What does ps -aux show?

• # ps aux
    USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
    root         1  0.0  1.0   2608  1440 ?        Ss   23:13   0:00 init
    root         2  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    23:13   0:00 [kthreadd/229]
    root         3  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    23:13   0:00 [khelper/229]
    root         4  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    23:13   0:00 [nfsiod/229]
    root       113  0.0  0.7   2180  1000 ?        Ss   23:13   0:00 /usr/sbin/xinetd -dontfork -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pi
    root       116  0.0  0.6   2220   792 ?        Ss   23:13   0:00 cron
    root       124  0.0  0.5   1880   680 ?        S    23:13   0:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd
    root       169  0.0  0.9   2532  1184 ?        Ss   23:13   0:00 dropbear -i
    root       170  0.0  1.3   3096  1736 pts/0    Ss   23:14   0:00 -bash
    root       207  0.0  0.7   2476   968 pts/0    R+   23:40   0:00 ps aux

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

@sDsB: As you seem to be using OpenVZ you need to look at the first row in column -/+ buffers stating used in free -m.

• LOL, thats awesome.

Thanks guys.

• Pfff, another one...

sorry

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited September 2011

How do I bump up the number of allowed connections in iptables? Currently I guess it;s three per this but just a simple sftp connection appears to hit that limit. (Because it's Passive I guess?)

edit: I got it. I edited the config script and then rebooted to get it to load again.

• The iptables script is located at /etc/iptables.up.rules so you can always just edit the file.

iptables -F
    vim /etc/iptables.up.rules
    iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.up.rules

• Yup, that was the file. Just bumped it up to 5 for the time being.

Surprised that it doesn't affect torrenting. I guess because that's outbound?

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited September 2011

It only limits SSH connections (or anything using port 22).

• Yup, that's the problem since sftp goes through 22.