Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPTP VPN on Ubuntu 10.04 won't connect.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPTP VPN on Ubuntu 10.04 won't connect.

FreekFreek Member
edited April 2012 in Help

Hi guys!

I'm trying to setup a PPTP VPN on my VPS running Ubuntu 10.04.
I've followed several tutorials:
http://randystech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67:set-up-a-pptp-vpn-on-ubuntu-server-1004&catid=4:linux-server&Itemid=8

http://www.larmeir.com/2010/03/setting-up-a-pptp-vpn-server-on-debian-and-ubuntu/

and even tried an automated script:
http://www.putdispenserhere.com/pptp-debian-ubuntu-openvz-setup-script/

But I keep getting the same error: When I try to connect to my VPN after I finished the connection wizard in Windows, it gets stuck on 'Checking Username and Password' or it instantly gives me an Error 619, host closed port connection.

PPP is working (cat /dev/ppp returns cat: /dev/ppp: No such device or address).

Tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

It may be that the MPPE encryption is not enabled in your VPS. check the logs.

tail -f /var/log/messages
  • Hmmm

Have you used PPTP in other box before?
    Because, with some ISPs I am unable to use it. Dunno why, sounds like something related to NAT (here some providers use it instead of giving you an ip).

@yomero said: Have you used PPTP in other box before?

Because, with some ISPs I am unable to use it. Dunno why, sounds like something related to NAT (here some providers use it instead of giving you an ip).

I have never got any problems with it... well, just with the ISPs routers, but just disabling the security, it works.

• FreekFreek Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    @netomx It only says ' pppd[4268]: Plugin /usr/lib/pptpd/pptpd-logwtmp.so loaded.' If I try to connect. No words about MPPE not being present sadly.

edited April 2012

hahaha, you'll laugh. Open /etc/pppd.conf and comment this line:

logwtmp

Restart service and that's all

EDIT: sorry, I read it wrong. Mine didn't work with that so I uncommented. Check this

modinfo ppp_mppe
  • FreekFreek Member

@netomx
    Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it!
    Commenting that line did indeed not work.

modinfo ppp_mppe gives me:
    ~# modinfo ppp_mppe
    ERROR: modinfo: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab045.1/modules.dep

Does that mean MPPE encryption is not enabled?

probably. who's your provider? send a ticket to them

• Hi,

If you receive Error 619 , it means authentication Error. I had similar problem once. The Problem was in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file. in this file you have 4 columns : client , server , secret(password) and ip.Example :

user1 * pass1 *

the main thing is between each field you should use TAB instead of space.This was my problem.

• FreekFreek Member
    edited April 2012

@netomx Just opened a ticket. We'll see
    @mrm2005 Thanks for thinking along. Sadly that's not the problem :( I had already used tabs instead of spaces.

• FreekFreek Member
    edited April 2012

Well there's ya problem:
    'This module isn't available I'm afraid and isn't one we enable.'
    Meh.
    Thanks for tracking down the issue guys! Appreciate it.

• @Freek said: 'This module isn't available I'm afraid and isn't one we enable.'

Name and shame

• FreekFreek Member

Can't really call it a shame, as the box costed me 10 pounds a year for 128MB RAM OpenVZ with 15GB disk and 500GB Bandwidth. And to be honest, it's pretty stable and the network speed is very very good. No problems getting a steady 100Mbps. Maybe I'm lucky and on a node with idle other users, but still..

• @Freek Solus? If yes, there is no reason to not having that module loading, and sounds like same price as others for that VPS with working pptp

• Well, it could be against their religion to use that encryption module (the algorithm is copyrighted by Microsoft).

• FreekFreek Member

@miTgiB The provider is MiniVPS.co.uk . I don't understand it either.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox

You can try other ones offerins services here, eveyone enables that module