Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Migrated and Now Doesn't Work
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Migrated and Now Doesn't Work

nimdynimdy Member
edited March 2014 in Help

I had slow I/O on one of my VPS. I asked the provider to migrate me to another node to see if that helped. I use the VPS to host a few personal websites, plus I use an SSH tunnel to use the internet on free public wifi.

The VPS came back up when it was migrated, but now I cannot ping or traceroute when in an SSH session, and I cannot use the SSH tunnel with FoxyProxy in Chrome.

My hosted websites do work though which is baffling me. Can anyone help? The technicians at the host don't seem to be of help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Check your /etc/resolv.conf

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

And would be the best to contact your provider as well.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited March 2014

Alex_LiquidHost said: And would be the best to contact your provider as well.

nimdy said: The technicians at the host don't seem to be of help.

• stranger169stranger169 Member
    edited March 2014

sleddog is right.
    Check resolv.conf, routing table and firewall settings :)

• This thread shouldn't at "Offers"right? How about moving it to "Help" ? :)

• nimdynimdy Member
    edited March 2014

My resolv file contains:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4

Which I think is correct (google DNS servers).

What would I need to do to check my routing table and firewall settings? I haven't made any changes to iptables as it is beyond my knowledge.

The provider was my first call. They have migrated the VPS twice now - the first time involving an IP change, and the second time they kept my IP. The most recent ticket response from them says that they can SSH into my server and ping, but I am unable to do so. Does that mean the problem sits with me? I have tried on both my work laptop on their connection, at home on my own connection and over phone tethering, but no luck. Also tried both putty and bitvise to make the connection, both with the VPS IP and my domain A record to the server.

I can't work out why this is happening..

[edit] Also changed the category to help. Sorry!

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited March 2014

Log in to the SSH; run ping on a popular host name, e.g. www.google.com; paste the output here.
    Also, run: nslookup www.google.com
    Reply back with what you get from the above command.

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited March 2014

also run: route -v
    and then: ifconfig -v
    with either sudo or as a root; let's see what you're getting.

Which distro are running there?
    Can you see the following file? /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
    ... and if yes then what's in it?

• nimdynimdy Member

I finally got this working guys. The provider admitted it was something wrong with their iptables when they migrated me. They've put it right and all is working now - I can ping / tractroute / apt-get etc.

Thanks for your help :)

• nimdynimdy Member

Spoke too soon. Looks like it is happening again. I've re-opened my support ticket to see what is going on...