Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VNC & Latency?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VNC & Latency?

VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
edited April 2012 in Help

Hey guys.. planning on purchasing a new server for use as more or less a "secondary desktop".

I live in England, and have a couple of servers with BuyVM, and one with ChicagoVPS.. all of these servers have more than enough spec-wise to handle a VNC session, but none of them are very responsive. I assume this is to do with the ping from my home connection to these servers?

If I was to purchase something within the UK, with a reduced amount of latency, would this increase the performance of my VNC sessions (in terms of what I see on my screen, and having to wait for responses)?

Also, what kind of latency would you class as unusable for a VNC server? As an example, my home connection (which sucks ass) to my BuyVM VPS's is around 180ms. I would class the waiting time for things on this unusable for use as a secondary desktop (however I am very satisfied with BuyVM in every other department, love 'em!).

So what sort of latency should I be looking at going for from my home connection to whichever VPS I go for?

Also, please feel free to rant and rave at me if this is not the actual issue affecting the response time that I'm seeing on the screen, I'm still getting used to all of this malarkey.

Cheers :)

Comments

• fanfan Veteran

VNC is typically slow, especially when the latency gets high across continents. FreeNX is much better, and IMO M$'s RDP is the best solution - I have a Windows box with GNAX which is like 300ms away form my location but the remote desktop is still quite smooth.

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@liamwithers said: Also, please feel free to rant and rave at me if this is not the actual issue affecting the response time that I'm seeing on the screen, I'm still getting used to all of this malarkey.

Well, if this is the VNC cursor lag then that is totally fixable. 180ms is still pretty big, though. My Milan VPS is also about 180ms from Californa, but VNC on it is certainly "usable" with a few tweaks. Install xrdp, which uses the Remote Desktop Protocol to proxy VNC. RDP is more efficient than VNC, so it will at least appear to increase the response time.

There are other things you can do, but the best is to shoot for a lower ping. I'd consider anything below 75ms to be eminently acceptable, below 50 to be perfect, and below 25 to be heavenly. At less than 50ms X-forwarding offers near-instantaneous response as well.

Briefly, any provider in the UK or in Western Europe should be good for you, unless geo-IP matters, i.e. BBC video, etc.

• My vps that's about 30ish ms away from me in the uk from easevps is great for vnc very useable if you want to check them out.