Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Aussie VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Aussie VPS

bohdansbohdans Member
edited March 2014 in Requests

Hi All,
Looking for some ideas where I can get a Micro (64/128mb) VPS in Australia on the CHEAP.
Basically it will be just used for a Personal DNS server. Needs to Be Australia and preferably Sydney to reduce latency.

Comments

• @bohdans said:
    Hi All,
    Looking for some ideas where I can get a Micro (64/128mb) VPS in Australia on the CHEAP.
    Basically it will be just used for a Personal DNS server. Needs to Be Australia and preferably Sydney to reduce latency.

Like I said before, $7 a month is the cheapest price you can possibly get in Australia.

If you cannot do that, go with the AWS 1 year free tier and deploy in Sydney, AU.

• ATHKATHK Member

@Oliver runs a great service

https://www.ransomit.com.au/vps

Here in Aus we're considered an exotic area as bandwidth, power prices etc are extreme compared to the USA.

Thanked by 20xdragon Monsta_AU
  • @ATHK yea, tell me about it :(
    I have a VPS with @oliver / ransomit at the moment, which is my email server. Didn't want DNS and Email on the same box.
    @0xdragon I already used up my 1 year with AWS :(
    Think i might just buy a raspberrypi and run it at home, then have a backup DNS server in LA for if my connection goes down.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

@bohdans - as far as I know RansomIT they have two locations

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@gbshouse said:
    bohdans - as far as I know RansomIT they have two locations

They do. Adelaide with Colocity and Sydney with Servers Australia (Equinix SYD3).

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

@trewq - exactly , @bohdans - put primary NS in one location and use your mail server as secondary

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

bohdans feel free to submit a ticket referring to this thread and your existing service; as others have mentioned I have a presence in two locations and for existing customers can probably customise a smaller plan for you in the alternate location to meet your requirements.

Cheers,
    Oliver

• Can anyone see any security issues with running DNS and email on the same server? Or is it better to keep them on separate boxes?
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner, this thread seemed to disappear for a while.

Doesn't really need to be separated. Any cPanel box is doing DNS and email and web and database on the same box usually. How secure it is is more up to you. :-)

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited March 2014

Nothing against Oliver at all - I work in the Enterprise VPS space locally and understand the costs - however there are plenty of us awaiting Vultr's Globalswitch-based offering to finally go live which should set the cat amongst the pigeons. Since the old Jumba 'Pizza' plans went EOL there has been a dearth of true LEB services hosted locally. I deeply respect Oliver for providing a service within the $7/mo bracket.

As for cPanel - if you only want separate DNS then you don't need a second VPS at all. I can help with setting up the free level of BuddyNS for you and running your VPS as a hidden master. It's how I am running my cPanel box with GVH now, and the new cPanel plugin makes it very easy. Uptime is excellent, and they have an Adelaide-based nameserver in their 7 worldwide locations (h.ns.buddyns.com) but it is ColoCity based.

I can only set 4 nameservers with my registrar, so I have Adelaide, India, Germany & Texas set. My GVH VPS is in Dallas, and I have another new VPS through ReverseHosts in San Diego which I am setting up.

If you are running the DNSONLY clustering with the Secondary MX plugin, then yeah, you want another box. Again, I'd probably go for the minimum required machine, and probably on a yearly basis. You will need more than 128mb for that, 256mb is the minimum with 512mb recommended.

@Oliver said:
    Doesn't really need to be separated. Any cPanel box is doing DNS and email and web and database on the same box usually. How secure it is is more up to you. :-)

Completely agree. Move the SSH port & install CSF at a minimum.

For people who care only about the cheapest possible presence I agree vultr is going to stir things up a bit but judging by the discussions about them here and on vpsboard and the features (or lack of) they offer I am not really concerned and certainly will not be trying to match them in any way.

I have a few changes coming in the next months as well to make my offerings more attractive but if people purely want a low price and are happy to skip on a few features (and likely on service as well) then I don't see a problem with them going to vultr. I am improving things as a matter of general business and not in response to what anyone else is doing anyway.

I don't know who you work for Monsta but if you are an Aussie and have been involved in the local market you will know that international providers coming here and offering cheap prices will never push out local companies completely in the domestic market. Plenty of Australians (not the LET crowd) will always lean towards local providers and understand there is a premium.

My 5.5 cents (inc GST) and sorry for going a bit off-topic.

Thanked by 2jamson 0xdragon
  • @Oliver said:

Updating things is always a good business practice, regardless of any real or perceived threats. As you mention, Vultr has issues and although I was looking to try them out, I now believe that with the whole SMTP thing I will not be doing so. That said, I am sure others will go for it.

I absolutely agree that internationals arriving will not push out local providers. My job counts on that, as does your livelihood also. Generally local providers will differentiate on service, and also performance. I am a little disappointed there are not more local providers in the LEB/LET space, however there are some locals that provide a very good and competitive offerings at $10/mo.

For my employer, our environment came out of our prior consulting & managed support business. We had clients which last refresh had moved to ESXi or HyperV and were now looking for an alternative to locking up capital in the CAPEX of replacement servers. We decided 2 years ago to run a hosted environment for our clients since the demand was there - it was a very easy decision to take. This way they can pay a monthly fee which is tax deductible (and claim back the GST). From that side, yes it is near impossible for the internationals to take market share from the Business and Enterprise market.

Our offering is a complete solution, we take care of everything including maintenance and backup, and even provide AD & Hosted Exchange. As such, we do not market our VPS services to the world in a general sense, it is more a part of our entire offering to clients. I will say hi via PM with more info.

Anyway - back on topic - @bohdans let me know if I can give you a hand with BuddyNS.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2014

I can't wait for Vultr to have an Australian location so that we can set up a DNS pop there as well :-)

• kyakykyaky Member

@marcm said:
    I can't wait for Vultr to have an Australian location so that we can set up a DNS pop there as well :-)

I'm waiting for that too.

You guys should message me and get something up sooner with Ransom IT in either Sydney or Adelaide. ;-)