Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to identify mobile networks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to identify mobile networks?

blackblack Member
edited March 2014 in Help

I need a way to find the IP blocks for mobile devices. Is there any public database for such things?

Comments

• Can't you use the hostnames?(most providers in europe include 3g/umts/lte/gprs/mobile etc in their reverse dns hostnames)

• Keep in mind most 3G in Europe is NAT - One IP is shared by often 100+ users.

• blackblack Member

@TheRedFox said:
    Can't you use the hostnames?(most providers in europe include 3g/umts/lte/gprs/mobile etc in their reverse dns hostnames)

That's an idea but doesn't seem completely reliable.

@William said:
    Keep in mind most 3G in Europe is NAT - One IP is shared by often 100+ users.

That sounds fine, I don't want to track things on a user by user basis, I'd just like a list of mobile providers and their respective IP allocations.

• Well, you will get issues with this - In continental Europe the larger fixed line providers (DSL/Fiber etc) are also mobile ISPs (i.e. Telekom Austria/A1.net, Srbija Telecom, Virgin UK...)

• blackblack Member

@William said:
    Well, you will get issues with this - In continental Europe the larger fixed line providers (DSL/Fiber etc) are also mobile ISPs (i.e. Telekom Austria/A1.net, Srbija Telecom, Virgin UK...)

Exactly the issue I'm having. AT&T and other providers offers mobile and home internet and I can't differentiate between the two with accuracy. I assume they don't have a residential IP that also has mobile users on it though.

• Here in Australia all the IP allocations appear the same regardless of mobile or landline.

• awsonawson Member

Hostnames would be your best bet imo, though you'll have to compile lists for every mobile network in the world

• you can rule Virgin UK out. they use the T-Mobile AS (AS29328)

• wychwych Member

If its for a website then block based on user agent?

As to IP ranges, they could just use wifi networks and as previously said a large chunk of mobile operators are also residential ISP's.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited March 2014

@black said:
    I need a way to find the IP blocks for mobile devices. Is there any public database for such things?

Not really, since mobile network doesn't automatically mean mobile device. Some providers in Europe provide land-line devices (routers, modems, ata) that are, however, UMTS-devices and establish connection using mobile networks, yet the client uses normal desktop hardware and land-line phones and even has a land-line phone-#. You'll also run into more problems when 4G get's rolled out, since that means: internet and phone regardless of network type (dsl, cable, wlan, umts).

• Not sure if this is any good or not, may be worth a look: https://code.google.com/p/php-mobile-detect/

• do you want to find mobile devices (ie phones whether on wifi or cell), or do you want to find any device (ie laptop or phone) using a cellular connection?

• blackblack Member

Sorry, I might've not said things clearly. I'd like to be able to detect mobile networks, not necessarily mobile devices. For example, if it's an ipad that's connected to a residential ISP via wifi, I don't really care but if the ipad is using a 3G connection, I want to know.