Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DotVPS issue....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DotVPS issue....

sallysally Member
edited March 2014 in Providers

Downtime, downtime and more downtime.
I only hope the new owners can improve the situation......

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Just to balance out this excellent 'review', my DotVPS box in the UK is currently running very nicely, and sits at 100% availability over the course of the last 30 days.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • wychwych Member

Which server are you on?

I had one issue with a failed HDD last year, other than that 100% uptime on my boxes there in the UK & USA.

• One of the nodes are marking the disks as spun down randomly time to time. We have replaced everything and couldn't solve it. A new replacement node is being built at the moment.

I'm terribly sorry about the downtime.

• To extend the explanation:

We have already built a new replacement and started to move people 3 weeks ago and it kept happening again on the new replacement node.

The new node is being built on totally different brand/model to avoid the issue.

• sallysally Member

Well, severe kudos to you, my friend, because mine does not!! And hasn't performed so since day one. Care to see my nodequery.com log??

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@sally said:
    Well, severe kudos to you, my friend, because mine does not!! And hasn't performed so since day one. Care to see my nodequery.com log??

Why didn't you just post that in the first place? Throwing up what amounts to OMG THIS SUXX0RS!!!1! isn't helpful to anyone, context and facts are key. Give us something we can use to vilify these VPS-providing bastards.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • sallysally Member

ukovz1 and to date, since nodequery kindly offered their free test, eleven alerts to server unavailable

• @sally said:

Keep calm my friend. Since serverian has already explained regarding the issue, why not wait or request for a move to another node? And meanwhile, probably serverian can provide some free credits or 1 month free(since the issue has been going on for at least 3 weeks) to compensate for the downtime. Win win solution for both parties.

• sallysally Member

Erm, well three months actually, but thanks for the advice!

• @sally said:
    Erm, well three months actually, but thanks for the advice!

The issue started to happen around 3.5-4 weeks ago. So the other downtimes can't be related to that.

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited March 2014

@sally as has already been suggested, more constructive if you post your logs. also, what plan are you on?

EDIT: and change the title of this thread if you want to be taken seriously (e.g. "Network outages with dotvps" or something). The current title reads like it was written by a 12yo...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@serverian runs probably the best brands around these fields. I am sure that this is a temporar problem and that he and his team would fix it. @Jack also did a great job, prior selling to nodisto.

• I think 3 months or 3 weeks of hassle would annoy me also. This is not the place to open a thread (providers have lots of brown noses and lap dogs here).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Linkking said: I think 3 months or 3 weeks of hassle would annoy me also. This is not the place to open a thread (providers have lots of brown noses and lap dogs here).

This is the perfect place to open a thread if you actually have a bit of evidence to back things up, you can't just post whats's been posted and expect to be taken seriously.

Also, yeah loads of lapdogs, but also just as many people who have a more even-handed view of things.

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2014

@Nekki said:

I agree; people want to see evidence.

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited March 2014

Linkking said: This is not the place to open a thread (providers have lots of brown noses and lap dogs here).

Did you ever stop to consider that some of us may have positive experiences with @serverian 's other brands and are considering dotvps for a UK based VPS? Given its a recent acquisition, I'm definitely curious to learn how things are going.

It's fine to come here and share a problem, but the way OP has gone about it doesn't exactly help his credibility...

EDIT: typo

• @Nekki
    serverian has admitted that there was a problem 4 weeks ago so what evidence do you need?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Linkking said:
    Nekki
    serverian has admitted that there was a problem 4 weeks ago so what evidence do you need?

The OP has said the issue has been ongoing for 3 months, so there are at least 2 months of 'problems' unaccounted for.

Also, DotVps offers services in 2 locations, and neither the OP nor @severian specified which location they're referring to. @severian also stated the issue he described related to a single node.

Finally, we don't know if the OP had network or hardware downtime, so we have no idea what the problem is really.

So, what evidence do I need? As a fellow consumer, I'd like to know which node had the issues, what the periods of downtime were, and what happened when support was contacted about the issue.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There is nothing more annoying than unexplained issues. I remember node 19/21/23 having weird problems we were unable to pinpoint for a few weeks. We only have guesses even now, tho I am sure there was something network related, causing load to explode and intermittent network drop, isolating them on separate vlans solved the problem but it costed us downtime on two 500+ days uptime nodes :(
    Also half the raid dropping at a time is not fun either, especially since it wont be showing in bios at next reboot, then coming back as ok next one, just to fail and lose data a couple of weeks later...
    As the number of nodes increases, the surface of attack for Murphy increases so, it is only a matter of time...

• LinkkingLinkking Member
    edited March 2014
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jack said:
    I don't know how long the OP has been a client, it's possible he has joined since that happened.

They've stated above that the issues have been ongoing for 3 months, so it seems unlikely that this faulty node is the issue.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Linkking said:
    Nekki

The fact you made the effort to add the text to that instead of simply responding to my points has made my day.

Thanked by 3ryanarp netomx mpkossen
  • wychwych Member
    edited March 2014

@Nekki said: The fact you made the effort to add the text to that instead of simply responding to my points has made my day.

Gotta love the tech industry...

• The "serverian" looks surprised... I can assure you, there would be no surprise.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Damian said:
    The "serverian" looks surprised... I can assure you, there would be no surprise.

Saucer of milk for table 10 please!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited March 2014

I'm seeing an ongoing issue with DotVPS UK service, since the hardware upgrades, which I think predates @serverian's buyout. Almost everyday I'm seeing 10, 20, 30 minutes downtime. ~35 minutes today.

Prior to the upgrades this service was rock-solid.

• @sleddog said:
    I'm seeing an ongoing issue with DotVPS UK service, since the hardware upgrades, which I think predates serverian's buyout. Almost everyday I'm seeing 10, 20 30 minutes downtime. ~35 minutes today.

Prior to the upgrades this service was rock-solid.

Okay, here is what we have done so far.

We purchased new servers and started moving people to the new servers. After a week, one of the servers started to go read only time to time and need a hard reboot.

We have immediately purchased a new server to migrate people out to fix the issues.

New server arrived, everything is installed, we started to move people to the new server. Boom. The new server gave us the same read only issue.

We have moved people back to the original server.

We have replaced the motherboard and tested. Same thing.

We have replaced the disks and tested. Same thing.

We have replaced the RAID card. Same thing.

We have replaced the RAID Card's cable. Same thing.

We have replaced the kernel. Same thing.

We have upgraded/downgraded the firmware numerous times. Same thing.

We have tried loads of diffferent drivers. Same thing.

We decided to build another server from totally different parts. And it has been deployed 6 hours ago. We are currently testing it to see if we will get the same issues again.

If not, we are going to migrate people over this night to fix this issue altogether.

See our problem?

• Oh, and we have replaced the PSUs as well.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@serverian just to take out my tin-foil hat...

Have you Che led if there's a bug and someone is exploiting it?

• serverianserverian Member
    edited March 2014

@netomx said:
    serverian just to take out my tin-foil hat...

Have you Che led if there's a bug and someone is exploiting it?

I don't know. The only log we have is this: image