Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nginx - how to exclude single file extension from access protection?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

nginx - how to exclude single file extension from access protection?

AmitzAmitz Member
edited April 2012 in Help

Dear all,

I am a bit stuck and maybe you can help me out...

I have a directory that I have access protected by the following line in vhost.conf:

location /pictures {
    deny all;
    }

That works fine for the directory and all subdirectories.

However, each subdirectory (hundreds of them) contains a file called 'folder.png' and I would love to exclude all files with this name from the access protection so that they gets displayed. How do I do this?

Thanks a lot for your advice in advance!
Cheers,
-A

Comments

• What are you trying to do by denying access to /pictures? What is your goal? It just seems a bit odd to me.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Well, that's a bit complicated.
    /pictures contains original images that get called by a php script for watermarking before display. I do not want anyone to access this folder by guessing the path (which is not too hard) and getting the unmarked images for download.

But I found a way to disallow the display of the original jpg files and allowing access to the rest:

location /pictures {
              location ~ \.jpg$ {
              deny all;
              }
              }

• Maybe you can move the pictures folder out of the root

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2012

I agree, that would be best. But the (gallery) script is not written by me and quite complex. I would have to change a lot of references in the php source code and then again and again as soon as an update comes out.

However, the location block that I posted above does for me what it should, so I am okay with that "solution"...

• Why not just put an index.html file in there so they can't browse the directory?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2012

I did that. But still, it is possible to guess the full filename of an image and display it directly. I saw some scripts out there that were explicitly written to bulk download the original images from my site (it is quite a large gallery with 12,000+ images). That does not only create unwanted traffic and server load. It also bypasses the ads on the site and leaves the "stolen" images watermark-free.

• circuscircus Member
    edited April 2012

--deleted, don't read the top post-- :P

• edited April 2012

Do the pictures you want to hide have a common part to their filename? You could create a .htaccess file and use ReWrite to solve this. Basically, mod_rewrite would check the URL for a string using RegEx, and then re-direct the user to a "Computer Sayyzz Nooo" page.. (Little Britain reference anyone?)

• AmitzAmitz Member

I love Little Britain! :)
    I am using NGINX instead of Apache. However, yes - they all have a common part of their name. They are numbered but the leading text string is always the same.

• This may or may not help you http://www.engineyard.com/blog/2011/useful-rewrites-for-nginx/

I have no experience with rewrites in NGINX I'm afraid - sorry

• BTW, not sure if the rewrite method would work in your case, as you'll want images displayed sometime, right? I wonder if you can integrate cookies/sessions/access control with rewrites....

• Maybe some kind of hotlink protection might work too..

• AmitzAmitz Member

Thank you all - As said, I have already found a solution (see above) that works for me. I tried to solve it with a hotlinking protection before, but that caused problems with people using browsers that do not send proper referrers. I received dozens of mails each day full of complaints because of this... ;)