Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much space should the OS use up?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much space should the OS use up?

drmikedrmike Member
edited September 2011 in Help

Just curious. My Debian 6 vps after running apt-get clean is using 902megs of hard drive space. (edit: That's the OS, Nginx and MySQL/PHP and a couple of sites.)

That seems high to me, especially since I've used the lowendscript to clean stuff out.

Does that sound right? I don't think my home boxes running win7 use up a full gig for their windows partition.

edit: As an aside, we now have Debian 6.0 32 bit on our OS selections. I had mentioned a while back that we only had 64 bit previously and I had been told that 6.0 was only going to be a 64 bit. Fran mentioned that the 32bit had come out. I don't recall where that posting was.

Comments

• circuscircus Member
    edited September 2011

mine are around 600-750 megs, I guess it's depend on the template.

drmike said: I don't think my home boxes running win7 use up a full gig for their windows partition

I'm pretty sure it is more than that.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

drmike said: Does that sound right? I don't think my home boxes running win7 use up a full gig for their windows partition.

Windows 7 uses around 16GB so...

• I don't think my home boxes running win7 use up a full gig for their windows partition.

Either you're not running Windows 7 or they're not using 1GB of space ;-)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements

Thanked by 1Infinity

Ouch, I didn't know that 64bit took up 20GB space. I have 64bit Win7 myself.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Yesss. 64bit is eating ressources like cookies.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited September 2011

I strip out a bunch of garbage. Could have sworn that it uses 1.5 gigs actually. Maybe I'm thinking the xp box. I know folks are installed win7 on their eee pc's and those drives are under 16gigs.

edit: A clean install of Debian 6 32bit came out to be 694megs.

edited September 2011

drmike said: I strip out a bunch of garbage. Could have sworn that it uses 1.5 gigs actually. Maybe I'm thinking the xp box. I know folks are installed win7 on their eee pc's and those drives are under 16gigs.

Nope, you are definately thinking of another OS. Even a stripped down Windows 7 install definately can't use 1.5gigs. The system folder alone weighs up at 13GB.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

A clean install of Debian 6 32bit came out to be 694megs.

@drmike: That should be quite ok.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s05.html.en

• I'm using Debian 6 32bit with Nginx, PHP and MySQL and I'm using about 392 MB of disk space using my cleanup scripts (linked in my sig).

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited September 2011
    $ df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs             19G  483M   19G   3% /
    tmpfs                 110M     0  110M   0% /lib/init/rw
    tmpfs                 110M     0  110M   0% /dev/shm

LNMP stack, openVZ. FTW

Looking at the maxexcloo projects, your list of packages seems interesting, 109 packages, I will try that, but I was just scared of removing libraries

Btw, you can remove tcpd, gcc-4.4-base and whiptail. Also, do you run deborphan and localepurge?

• I don't :o
    I'm adding that to the list :P