Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luna Node Dynamic - dynamic virtualization platform (KVM)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep
edited March 2014 in Offers

Luna Node Dynamic is our hourly billing virtualization platform featuring rapid virtual machine deployment, hourly billing, snapshotting capabilities (and imaging existing or new virtual machines from these snapshots), uploading custom ISO files, an API for automation, and more. Servers are currently provisioned out of Scranton (with BurstNET).

Luna Node has been around for about half a year, offering reliable KVM virtual private servers at affordable prices. We use OpenStack for Luna Node Dynamic backend.

Here's a more detailed feature explanation:

• Hourly billing - only need a virtual machine for a few days, or don't know how long you'll want to use it for? Or have dynamic needs that require changing amounts of nodes? Luna Node Dynamic allows you to destroy your virtual machine at any time, and then only pay for the hours (instead of months) that it was used for. The service is prepaid, with Paypal and Bitcoin (via Coinbase) as our current billing options.
  • Custom ISO files - you can submit a URL (HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, etc.) and the system will download your ISO file. Once downloaded, you can provision virtual machines from the ISO and do manual installation via VNC.
  • Snapshotting - hit a button to snapshot your virtual machine, and the current state of the disk image will be saved. You can then use it to restore your virtual machine to a previous saved state or to provision more machines. Snapshots are currently free but will likely be charged later at around $8/250GB.
  • High-availability: if a node goes down it will be "evacuated" to another node.
  • API - we provide a simple API that you can use to manage your servers without going through the web UI.
  • Track billing - a Billing tab is inluded in the Luna Node Dynamic panel that allows you to check your expenses for each month, with expenses sorted by day.
  • Custom templates - if you have your own qcow2 template, you can upload this from the panel and start provisioning virtual machines with it.
  • Virtual network/router with floating IPs - these features are supported although not currently supported from our panel; we can set these up if you are using five or more virtual machines, if you open a ticket.
  • Free SSL certificates: with your Luna Node Dynamic account, you get an unlimited number of free single-domain or wildcard SSL certificates; note that these may only be used on the Luna Node network.
  • Redundant cloud storage: VM's are provisioned on top of a distributed, fault-tolerant filesystem to prevent data loss
  • IPv6 connectivity available in Scranton (requires manual provisioning currently -- open ticket).

To get started, you can create an account from our billing panel for twelve dollars (so you will get $12.00 of credit with the initial account). More credit can be added directly from the Luna Node Dynamic panel (but support is handled through the billing panel).

Plans

• 512 MB - 1 vCPU, 15 GB storage, 1000 GB bandwidth, $0.005 hourly ($3.6 monthly)
  • 1024 MB - 2 vCPU, 20 GB storage, 1500 GB bandwidth, $0.0072 hourly ($5.18 monthly)
  • Storage 250 GB - 512 MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 250 GB storage, 1500 GB bandwidth, $0.0063 hourly ($4.54 monthly)

Port speed is 1gbit/s. Click here for full plan list.

Locations

Test IP for Scranton location is here: http://96.9.169.44/100mb.test

We also provide services via Luna Node Dynamic in Chicago with SingleHop, but some of the features mentioned above such as virtual router, storage virtual machines, and IPv6 are not available there.

Links:

Thanked by 1sirmbhe

Comments

• AsimAsim Member

What control panel is this?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Asim said: What control panel is this?

OpenStack with custom front-end.

• NoermanNoerman Member
    edited March 2014

I have their 512MB for few months and still going. So far is good and the support is always great. And I have few free SSL also.

I even playing with few (hourly) VPS, just like when I play with DO. Awesome.

My problem is I unable to (ISO) install Scranton storage VPS. But I will try again within few days ahead.

Thanked by 1perennate

Noerman said: My problem is I unable to (ISO) install Scranton storage VPS. But I will try again within few days ahead.

Hm, it should actually be easier to install custom operating systems in Scranton with OpenStack than in Chicago with messy software.

• Can I upload and install Windows ISOS?

• Is this on BurstNet network? -m.

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

@enrique750 said:
    Can I upload and install Windows ISOS?

yes

@macecis said:
    Is this on BurstNet network? -m.

yep

• With regard with "Redundant cloud storage". What does this mean? Is the data stored in multiple locations, or the same location on multiple disks - a RAID system?

With regard to the SSL certificates. I have two questions:

1) I personally have multiple servers. Each one does one thing (e.g. backup, email, web hosting, dev, chat, etc). I currently have all of them using the same SSL certificate. Will I not be able to do the same with a Luna Node's certificate? Can I use a certificate will all my servers?

2) With concern with general privacy - how does Luna Node know if the SSL certificate is used somewhere other than the network? I don't know of anything in the SSL/TLS spec that allows the browser or server to call home or report a IP address to a third-party server.

Thank you.

edited March 2014

Silvenga said: With regard with "Redundant cloud storage". What does this mean? Is the data stored in multiple locations, or the same location on multiple disks - a RAID system?

It is stored in the same location on multiple servers, each server also has a RAID array; if the RAID array fails, your data will not be lost.

1) You can purchase an SSL certificate with your VM or Dynamic account for $2 per certificate (expires in one year); in this case you can use the certificate with any of your servers, provided that you are also using it in relation to one of your services on our network.

The free SSL certificates that can be ordered from Luna Node Dynamic panel are to be used only on Luna Node virtual machines.

2) We do not actively monitor anything like this. But violating the terms of service may result in suspension of your account. Really though, the restrictions are just there because we forward them from SingleHop's restrictions and some additional agreements we have with them (the AlphaSSL certificates are provisioned through SingleHop).

• @perennate said:

Thank you for this transparency. The Storage option is looking very nice.

• Ok, it seems so good and good prices. I usually deploy instances for weeks (or even days).
    Can I upload the ISO myself (automatically) without your manual intervention? If so, I can deploy my labs by myself when I have time.
    Also, the storage has a very good price!

enrique750 said: Ok, it seems so good and good prices. I usually deploy instances for weeks (or even days). Can I upload the ISO myself (automatically) without your manual intervention? If so, I can deploy my labs by myself when I have time. Also, the storage has a very good price!

Yes.

• ReeceReece Member
    edited March 2014

Good to see something different, did you stop using OpenNebula? I saw it pop up a few times.

Keep up the good work :)

We looked at multiple cloud platforms and decided to go with openstack in the end. Never attempted to deploy OpenNebula.

@Reece said:
    Good to see something different, did you stop using OpenNebula? I saw it pop up a few times.

Keep up the good work :)

• bobbybobby Member

For the record, you can provision VM's (without mentioned features) in Chicago?

@bobby said:
    For the record, you can provision VM's (without mentioned features) in Chicago?

Yes.

for singlehop at chicago we offer kvm services, there is no HA, or distributed vm image storage. So relatively speaking it is more likely for clients to suffer data loss if they decide to go with our services in chicago than services in scranton.

• enrique750enrique750 Member
    edited March 2014

I have created an account to test it :-)

Is there any disk speed difference between the 512MB plan and the storage one?

Also, If I create a storage vps and a 1024 MB, is the traffic between them counted towards the bandwidth limit?

• How can I upload a template?

Thanks,

It depends on where your VMs are created.

If you created both VMs in chicago, then you should use the VM's private interface IP address 10.x.x.x for communication, there are no bandwidth usage charges through the private interface.

If you created both VMs in scranton, you want to use the private IP, 172.x.x.x to communicate between the VMs then there would be no bandwidth usage charges.

If one of your VM is in chicago, and another one is in scranton, then communication between the VM is going through the public interface, and bandwidth usage is tracked and will be billed accordingly.

To upload your template/iso/disk-image, you will need to sign into your lunanode dynamic account, and then goto your account, then goto the "account" tab on the top, then click on the "add new image" button.

• ok, thanks for the info :-)

• fkjfkj Member

Looks nice! If I turn off the VM (but not destroy it), will I still have to pay for it?

Only when the virtual machine is destroyed does the billing for that virtual machine seizes.

• VallVall Member

This is a very promising development: at last someone to compete with Amazon at the low end.

It would be great if you guys could assemble a "build your own" plan where the user selects the mount of RAM, HD, vCPUs and bandwidth and the web page shows the resulting price.

If you ever implement something like that, please PM me. Thanks in advance!

• Very Nice offer, is there any benchmark result?

Update: due to BurstNET closure in Scranton we are migrating Luna Node Dynamic primary location to Toronto.

Migration to Toronto was completed.