Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running OpenVZ inside a Xen PV VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running OpenVZ inside a Xen PV VPS

Mark_RMark_R Member
edited March 2014 in Help

Hello,

Did anyone try running OpenVZ inside a Xen VPS yet? if yes, does it work?

i'm considering to try this out but i'd love to hear about experiences others might have gained by doing it.

My reason for asking this is because i want to run a OVZ VM inside a Xen PV based VPS for a friend, if this doesn't work i'll just buy him another VPS instead but i feel like trying it out might be a good thing to gain some additional experience so why not right?

Thank you.

Comments

• I did this in KVM, worked great. Xen-PV uses special kernels for xen virtualization, don't they? That might be a problem as OpenVZ needs a custom kernel.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • thekreekthekreek Member
    edited March 2014

Yes it's possible, what your trying to do is slabbing the vps.

You can read a bit here: http://wiki.openvz.org/How_to_use_OpenVZ_as_a_XEN_guest_OS_(for_x86_platform)

Also some providers have used vps slabbing for sometime and they have provided good results, other's have failed.

Here is a small tutorial for a CentOS 5.5 Xen vps: http://community.allsimple.net/Thread-centos-5-5-how-to-install-openvz-inside-a-xen-vps

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

I've never set up a OpenVZ virtualization before so this might adds extra difficulty if things go wrong but atleast I know now that it is possible.

Thanks guys! i'll be busy for a while.

• BruceBruce Member

what benefit is there by slabbing?

• said: i want to run a OVZ VM inside a Xen PV based VPS for a friend, if this doesn't work i'll just buy him another VPS instead but i feel like trying it out might be a good thing to gain some additional experience so why not right?

The "why not" depends on whether or not it's a good friend... :)

• @Bruce said:
    what benefit is there by slabbing?

in my case it is to create a VM isolated inside the main Xen VM, providing someone with root access in the isolated space instead of the main envoirement.

if his isolated envoirement gets hacked my main envoirement still will be ok. Security.

• @sleddog said:
    The "why not" depends on whether or not it's a good friend... :)

Haha yeah, hes alright but i always wanna make sure no problems will occur rather than putting faith in someone.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I tried, network failed and Xen VM was unreachable after restart. Get a KVM vps.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    I tried, network failed and Xen VM was unreachable after restart. Get a KVM vps.

Damn, that would be a problem. I guess ill have to keep my cursor close to the reinstall button O;

I cannot leave my current vps provider because i am too satisfied with it. I'm going to try to make it work. If it turns out negative i'll get him his own VPS anyways but i atleast wanna try to get it running.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Mark_R said:

One thing before you go: Try asking your provider for a Xen HVM instance(I only tried on a PV though).

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2014

trexos said: That might be a problem as OpenVZ needs a custom kernel.

It works JUST FINE with Xen PV. At least, the RHEL-6 OpenVZ kernel does.

@Ftpit_Radi : I tried, network failed and Xen VM was unreachable after restart. Get a KVM vps.

Did you try disabling SELinux? That's the one thing that caught me the first couple times.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Whaa don't do that. That's inception.

• @Mark_R said:
    Hello,

Did anyone try running OpenVZ inside a Xen VPS yet? if yes, does it work?

i'm considering to try this out but i'd love to hear about experiences others might have gained by doing it.

My reason for asking this is because i want to run a OVZ VM inside a Xen PV based VPS for a friend, if this doesn't work i'll just buy him another VPS instead but i feel like trying it out might be a good thing to gain some additional experience so why not right?

Thank you.

Im pretty sure GreenValueHost does this. Here is results of slabbed or not test on one GVH vps i have:

Hypervisor: Xen PV
    Version: 4.3

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited March 2014

@ksubedi We only have ONE node that's slabbed and it's a single slab in Dallas with SH.

Our old lead sys admin is the slab master. You can put the rest together. :)

• @GreenValueHost said:
    ksubedi We only have ONE node that's slabbed and it's a single slab in Dallas with SH.

Yeah I think my box is on that node. Any specific reason to why you guys are slabbing? I don't really mind it as long as performance is stable buy Id love to know why.

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited March 2014

@ksubedi said:
    Yeah I think my box is on that node. Any specific reason to why you guys are slabbing? I don't really mind it as long as performance is stable buy Id love to know why.

Our old lead sys admin was @Rallias and he set up the node. You can put the rest of the pieces together. :)

Btw Andrew if you're reading this, you spelled our company name wrong on your public resume.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Mark_R there is no reason why it shouldn't work. For Xen PV make sure that Xen support is enabled in the OpenVZ kernel (though it should be enabled by default). Easiest way to find out is to boot an OpenVZ kernel on a existing CentOS installation. I hope this helps.

Thanked by 1Mark_R