Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will DeployFalcon be worth the wait?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will DeployFalcon be worth the wait?

So every few days I check deployfalcon.com to see if @Shunny has launched it PaaS yet.

Originally it was due for release on 1st January as agreed by @serverian when he won the competition for the server. Then he said he had to delay it to 1st February. Then on the 1st Feb he claimed it would be the end of February. So yesterday I noticed his landing page had changes from 'Something Awesome Is Coming' to something along the lines of 'We are finished!'. I have just gone back on there today and he has added a week to the countdown and 'Something Awesome Is Coming' has come back up again!

Anybody know note about it to explain why it's taking him so long? If its just another VPS host then that'll be a shame. I want real innovation on this already overcrowded market.

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited February 2014

What's going to be exciting about it? Cheap VPS? Some sort of sudo cloud service? We already have all of that in spades. Heck, I'm working towards differentiating. We can't just copy each other or we'll all starve to death.

I like the last 3 blog posts:

• Slight Hiccup

• Release Pushed

• Release Pushed Details

So what's the next one going to be like?

• "F-it, I give up, it ain't happening..."
  • VPNVPN Member
    edited February 2014

That's what I'm waiting for too lol.

@marcm said:

So what's the next one going to be like?

• "F-it, I give up, it ain't happening..."
  • It would be interesting to see a PaaS with a slightly different take than http://12factor.net/ - possibly with attachable ebs like storage, but I suspect it will another lousy PHP paas following the principles:

a) deployment = ftp,
    b) continuous integration = cuteftp/filezilla live edit in notepad++
    c) php rocks because facebook used it

some phrases stolen from http://www.twitter.com/php_ceo

• Hi guys,
    Let me explain whats going.on.
    First off sorry im delayed in the release. I failed to deliver and i admit this.

Deployfalcon is going to happen and it will be something unique not another lousy php paas.

I have been stuck with technologies behind creating a custom platform. While testing i encountered errors and stupid issues that drove me crazy. I had personal issues to deal with which held my development off. I had to deal with businesd registration so i can accept payments. A lot of things but i am getting them done albeit slowly.

So where am i right now? I am writing the frontend in another language as the previous one i wrote it in was lack of other words horrible. It was not production ready.

I will launch deployfalcon and if anyone on here has any recommendations or feature suggestions feel free to post it.

Again i totally apologize for the failure and to serverian for failing him on the promise but i will get this done and launch ASAP.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2014

@shunny This is the right approach, take your time and do it right from the start, instead of launching something which is not ready or tested and thinking about the bugs later.

• @rds100 thank you. Ive been trying and working my brain off to get things right. Doing things by myself is hard...

@nonuby ebs for additional storage is a great idea! I will add that to release 2. :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

marcm said: Some sort of sudo cloud service?

I think you meant "pseudo cloud service".

sudo as a cloud service sounds like the ultimate insecurity :-)

• why can't you tell us what it's going to be?

• No its not a cloud service. I wrote a blog post about what depoly falcon is. http://blog.deployfalcon.com/more-about-deployfalcon/

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited March 2014

shunny said: not another lousy php paas.

There are only a few PHP PaaS (cloudcontrol, openshift, appfog, pagodabox and engine yard) and none of them are LOUSY!

Have some respect.

Thanked by 1RichardLeik
  • Just curious what is the DeployFalcon's competition edge compared to heroku, appfog, dotCloud, nodejitsu?

• @nonuby said:
    c) php rocks because facebook used it

PHP rocks because millions use it. Facebook is slow and poorly-designed :)

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • @ironhide - I have respect for all of them. They have well implemented systems that I will take years catching up.

@bookstack - My competitive edge is around the pricing and the feature set that will be available and customer service. Some features of course the big guys will be better at it, but this is starting small and to grow it. I prefer to take care of my customers, I don't want them to sign for something that has no / lackluster support.

• VPNVPN Member

So. 'DeployFalcon' was supposed to be deployed by now after several push backs. Instead it's been pushed back by another week and 4 days.

@shunny do you need help with anything?

• shunnyshunny Member
    edited March 2014

@OkieDokie - I'm almost there, I'm trying to make things work out for the best. If you really want to see progress here it is: http://imgur.com/IrsrY7v
    ClientPortal is up and running too so sign up for an account: https://my.deployfalcon.com

Again, I'm trying to make things perfect. I didn't ask for help because I wanted to get through all the pain myself first, which I did. I need to know my product and the technologies behind it so I can help my customers when they need help. DeployFalcon is not a pump and dump its meant to last so please have patience, because I will release it.

• ironhide said: There are only a few PHP PaaS (cloudcontrol, openshift, appfog, pagodabox and engine yard) and none of them are LOUSY!

Openshift is in Python.

• VPNVPN Member

@shunny said:
    OkieDokie - I'm almost there, I'm trying to make things work out for the best. If you really want to see progress here it is: http://imgur.com/IrsrY7v
    ClientPortal is up and running too so sign up for an account: https://my.deployfalcon.com

Again, I'm trying to make things perfect. I didn't ask for help because I wanted to get through all the pain myself first, which I did. I need to know my product and the technologies behind it so I can help my customers when they need help. DeployFalcon is not a pump and dump its meant to last so please have patience, because I will release it.

I love that you're working hard on it. I'm just worried that you're struggling and I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would be willing to help, me being of them.

• @Okiedoke - Thanks for saying that. Not many people say that they like to help, at least from my experience. I was struggling in the backend quite a bit which I got through. Now I am just finishing up the UI. Just to note I am still finishing up my degree, my last semester, so I'm trying to balance everything out and for now school is of priority which is why I had to delay for a bit.