Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Provider located in South Africa?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End Provider located in South Africa?

HerrMaulwurfHerrMaulwurf Member
edited September 2011 in General

Hi,

does anybody knows a LEB Provider located in South Africa?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Do you mean the node is located in South Africa?

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yourvz-15year-128mb-openvz-vps-in-scranton/ seems to be a South African company with US servers.

• Yes, I mean the node is located in South Africa. The company itself can be in every country.

In every country, wow. How many countries are there in the world, so a staff member in every single country. Just kidding.

I haven't seen that many Africa based nodes, let alone low end one's or Southern African one's.

• Replace "every" with "any" :D

edited September 2011

Hehe, do let me know if you find one. It may be useful later for my home made CDN project. (No, I'm not going to charge anyone for it! It's only for myself)

• This is exactly what I want to do too :D

I've got VPS' in Europe, America, Asia and Australia, but not Africa.

Thanked by 1Infinity

Our of interest where did you get your Asian and American servers from?

• Have a google for SA datacentres, SA colocation, SA dedicated servers. Judging by the prices I've seen, I doubt they'd be LEBs even if someone did do them.

http://www.afrihost.com/site/product/dedicated_hosting#menu_hosting

950r = $135, for 20GB transfer... :o

http://www.webafrica.co.za/business/hosting/dedicatedserver/

$635 usd for 300GB transfer.

Even Hetzner's SA servers are crazy expensive, with very little BW.

http://www.hetzner.co.za/index.php/dedicated-hosting/index/dedicated-servers/

• Asia: Shinjiru.com (not really Low End and quite expensive)
    America: Securedragon.net (Low End)

Woops, why did I write America, I meant Australia. Apparently bandwidth is expensive there.

• Gary said: Even Hetzner's SA servers are crazy expensive, with very little BW.

That is actually a HUGE amount of bandwidth, and the overage per MB is really cheap there.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

I think SA is not that much desirable geographic location, just by looking at the map since you are far enough of north and middle Africa itself, and Europe. Also Australia where you have a VPS is not too far geographically to South Africa (but not rest of Africa). I guess it may help if you did a small research on suggested locations for distributing a CDN on, and compare it with what you have so far.

• Infinity said: Woops, why did I write America, I meant Australia. Apparently bandwidth is expensive there.

Yes, Australia is a quite expensive location.
    I'm with the VPS plans located in Sydney from NetOrigin.com.au.
    [http://www.netorigin.com.au/vps-hosting/sydney-vps-hosting/]

• SA is expensive, and most of the providers here (yes, I'm in South Africa) actually use DC's in the rest of the world.

To give you an idea, what would cost $3/month for shared hosting (with all the bells and whistles), you'd pay $10+/month for shared hosting with one domain, one email address, one mysql database, etc etc.

It's not worth it here, bandwidth is too expensive.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

That's a start, but that just displays the DCs in SA.

But then again, traffic must be damn expensive there, Just look at this: http://www.rsaweb.co.za/dedicated-servers/

Intel Core i7 870 - 2.93Ghz 8MB
    8GB 1333Ghz
    2 x 1TB
    RAID1 Mirror

20 GB Traffic included

• I told you :)

• @shaanl: So is everybody just buying outside the country then? Or are websites in SA just text-mode? I mean, I do 20GB per month on my DSL.

• that just displays the DCs in SA.

You can contact the DC and ask them if they would pass you along to a client of theirs inn the DC. Some DCs are allowed to do that.

• @drmike: That's right. That's what I meant with: its a start. But some DC make end-user offers as well. Vodafone err. Vodacom (wtf?) does that for example.

• shaanlshaanl Member
    edited September 2011

@kylix some poor souls buy in the country and pay a fortune for less than great hosting. I'm not saying you get bad service here in South Africa, it's just what you get here compared to the US or UK is is lacking. Of the sites that are registered here, I would say about 80% are low to medium traffic sites so the bandwidth provided here is enough. Higher traffic sites almost always move to an offshore service or pay a premium if they can afford it. You'll also notice on some of the providers, they offer ##GB's local traffic and ##GB's international traffic, which to me is stupid, but that's how it works here. I think the providers here are a little close minded (and some of the people who host sites here as well) when it comes to where the traffic comes from, however, I don't blame them. Basically, people in the know buy overseas, the rest by local. We have normal sites here, not text-mode ;)

• Is South Africa one of those countries that are at the end of an Internet pipe? Like Egypt is?

• Yes and No. We used to be, but in the last 2-3 years that have started planning new undersea lines from South Africa to the rest of the world. At the moment we have one running from the bottom of South Africa up the East coast to Malaysia (I think) then to the rest of the world from there, so it's not as fast as it can be but it's much better than what we used to have. They are also building a new line up to the UK, which is about 10x better, so we're getting there :)