Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people want multiple IPs for 1 server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do people want multiple IPs for 1 server?

As the question is posted in the title, with the IPv4 exhaustion and the slow transition to IPv6, why are people requesting to have more than 1 IPv4 per server, and why are hosts offering multiple IPv4 addresses as "bonuses" to certain plans they sell?

Comments

• providers try to get as much allocations as they can.. and people here get them because its given free/cheap.

• resell the service - web hosting, VPN, proxy, the list goes on

• screw ipv6 i keep using ipv4 until i get trouble accessing sites/services i'm using.

• I just see it as a waste that all these IPs are being redirected to one main VPS. Since we have the IPv4 exhaustion, everyone is slowly transitioning to IPv6.

I feel that 1 IP would be just as good as 5 IPs if they only lead to one server.

• @Pwner said:
    I just see it as a waste that all these IPs are being redirected to one main VPS. Since we have the IPv4 exhaustion, everyone is slowly transitioning to IPv6.

I feel that 1 IP would be just as good as 5 IPs if they only lead to one server.

on that i agree, except for the dedicated server customers, they should be allowed to have more than 1 ipv4 for obvious reasons.

• Mainly use for SSL or Spam

• in actual fact it's to pump the value of IPs. IPv4 are on sale in aftermarket. with exhaustion apon us the market price is expected to go up by 1500% or more (yes you read that right x15)

IPv4 is the new bitcoin get rich quick scheme. and I'm trying to bump the prices. this is not NYSE or NASDAQ so you can do that :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: with the IPv4 exhaustion

2010 called. They want their panic back.

IPv4s are still cheap. If we were anywhere near "exhaustion" the price would go up. Lots of big class As that can be privately renumbered and sold. Not to mention class Bs. Heck, my old university still gives a publicly-routed class B address to every device/PC on campus. If they could sell that class B block for even $1/IP they'd switch to a 10.* and do it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

So one can get nulled and I can uncomment my secondary virtual host lines that I saved for just such an occasion. Excluding the target of course ;)

Isn't up to me to make ipv6 better and finish spreading it out, I just play the hand I'm dealt.

• makes me laugh when people use the additional IP for DNS on the same server as existing DNS

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

@hostnoob said:
    makes me laugh when people use the additional IP for DNS on the same server as existing DNS

Hey if it makes those "find a bunch of problems with my site that really don't matter" sites stop complaining, worth it's value in reduced support requests ;)

jarland said: Hey if it makes those "find a bunch of problems with my site that really don't matter" sites stop complaining, worth it's value in reduced support requests ;)

Ha! Though I think they still complain if your 2nd NS IP is on the same subnet.

Thanked by 1jar
  • In my case, for the following reasons:

1. One IP is my administration connection IP (ssh on multiple ports 22, 443, 80 and 1821)
    2. The extra IP is used as a backup for a mail server (my vps have been marked as spam in the past, altough I send little mail)
    3. The extra IP can be used in case of basic attack against the main IP
    4. SSL for support of old IE web browsers.
  • @jarland said:
    Hey if it makes those "find a bunch of problems with my site that really don't matter" sites stop complaining, worth it's value in reduced support requests ;)

lol that's a good point. I've always used my registrar's DNS servers

• Honestly, I never find a use for the second IP. Sometimes I just let it sit, if I ever do anything with it I use it just for SSL.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:
    IPv4s are still cheap. If we were anywhere near "exhaustion" the price would go up. Lots of big class As that can be privately renumbered and sold. Not to mention class Bs. Heck, my old university still gives a publicly-routed class B address to every device/PC on campus. If they could sell that class B block for even $1/IP they'd switch to a 10.* and do it.

Just because they can give it up, doesn't mean they will. Infact they won't because IPv4 is being exhausted they will want to keep it to a greater extent because it's an asset and they can lease it. That doesn't change the fact about IPv4 exhaustion.

Thanked by 1Pwner

Infinity said: Just because they can give it up, doesn't mean they will. Infact they won't because IPv4 is being exhausted they will want to keep it to a greater extent because it's an asset and they can lease it.

Well that still makes the addresses available.

I don't see why ipv4 won't follow every other market's behavior:

• scarcity increases price
    • it becomes feasible for organizations to renumber and sell (or lease - same difference)
    • price is reduced as demand equalizes

I agree that that behavior can't go on forever (barring another Black Plague or global EMP event :-) but I think we're a lot further from a case where we can't get $1/mo ipv4 for VPSes than other people.

I work for a global Fortune 500 - we need several hundred publicly-routable ipv4s for several reasons, but everything else is 10.x. The vast majority of organizations with class A blocks, class B blocks, etc. do not need them.

Still...of course, the long-term answer is ipv6. Humans don't seem to do well with problems that creep up slowly alas.

• Web & Mail server with RDNS on one IP, and VPN on the second IP. It's not a big deal, though, to just get a separate VPS for the VPN.

Or if you want to separate the web server and mail server so they're on separate IP's, that can be nice, too, but hardly necessary.

• We just need something like 'IPv4S. So eg. 1.1.1.1.1 (whatever). The most people don't like IPv6 because of its 1:: etc. etc.

Thanked by 2Pwner raindog308
  • DNS is a wonderful thing with IPv6, but not everyone supports it yet.

• @IceCream said:
    We just need something like 'IPv4S. So eg. 1.1.1.1.1 (whatever). The most people don't like IPv6 because of its 1:: etc. etc.

Rather, most telcos just can't be bothered to move to IPv6, or provide it to residential connections.

• SSL or to offer clients their own IP.

• dns issues such as with .de domains

Thanked by 1mee2
  • @AzureVPS said:
    Rather, most telcos just can't be bothered to move to IPv6, or provide it to residential connections.

Yeah, my ISP says they "support a dual stack IPv4/IPv6" but when I spoke to support about it, they had no idea wth I was talking about and my modem is locked into IPv4, even though both it and my router support IPv6.

• @kerouac said: dns issues such as with .de domains

Yepp, the Germans (among a few others) can be a real pain in that regard.

Aside from that: if you have a rather large hosting client with many affiliates or customers it's often a good idea to put them on a dedicated IP. Not only for SSL but also to let them send their email from their own IP. Unfortunately, some larger (knuckleheaded, bureaucratic ex-monopolist) access ISPs auto-blacklist and then block IPs from which they receive emails to several of their customers within a short period of time, even if perfectly legitimate, definitely non-spam and not many in absolute numbers. It can take as little as a quick internal mailing with some price updates to a few dozen local distribution partners of whom about 25-50% are usually hosting their email with one of the different brands of the country's largest ISP and also everyone else on the same system would be unable to reach half of the country's email addresses. Since it can take anything from days to weeks to have the IP finally removed again from such (often semi-extortionist...) blocklists that would be unacceptable to all the other clients, especially if they are from the same country/region.

• I used to be the type of guy that wanted to get as many IP's as possible, but nowadays I dont even see a reason why I need more than one. You can install SSL in multiple websites on same IP using SNI (doesnt work on old ie's but who uses them anyways). The only good reason I can see people using multiple IP's is to either offer VPN, offer dedi IP with shared hosting, or mass mailing.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited February 2014

because i have 2 and want to have more...

and the comment below mine V

• Mostly for SSL, sure you can use SNI but it may not work well with some older browsers and mobile browsers.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

SEO, SPAM (email marketing) and normally customers using for SSL.

Zen said: The more IP's I get the better I feel. I feel pretty good.

you can use /48 of IPv6, it will be enough.

• rapidnode said: Mostly for SSL, sure you can use SNI but it may not work well with some older browsers and mobile browsers.

I need to look into SNI again. Actually I need to look into XP's market share again because that OS has always been the stumbling block to SNI adoption.