Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ubiquity hosting - reviews?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ubiquity hosting - reviews?

ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

Can any one share their experience with Ubiquity? specifically their dedicated servers, network and support.

Thanks,

Comments

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2014

i think that @setupvps uses them, you should try to contact him for information.

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

@Mark_R said:

Thanks! will do

Anyone else?

• I constantly had issues with their cloud servers. No experience with dedicated though.

• dedicated in Dallas has been pretty solid for the past few years. support is pretty good and i've got multiple upgrades at discounted prices for loyalty.

IPs tend to be on blacklists due to spammers before they changed some things but generally if you file a ticket (and its a big enough block) they will get in contact with spamhaus or such to resolve it.

• Spam central, but otherwise fine.

• it is true their network has been abused, not sure that its a big issue lately but I do know their IP policies changed over the past few years on top of ARIN constraints. Besides a few issues caused by hacked CMS, my IP blocks (3x /29) have been pretty clean and not effected by any other bigger netblocks. The main ones that I've had issues in the past with are Spamhaus, ATT/SBC, and AOL. I've got on feedback loops to handle the latter two and implemented an outbound relay to better control mailflow from CMS like WordPress and Joomla.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited February 2014

IMO Nobis is simply a spam magnet, they used to host quite a number of spammers (email, spambot, etc) and I believe it is still the case today. Not sure about others but I tend to block off their IP ranges whenever possible.

• hadn't seen that cleantalk before. kinda neat but yah I guess since I've been with them a few years I've defined my own IP rep and have been lucky to not get caught in a SH dragnet.

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited February 2014

I bought a vps (instance?) from there, it was increbily amazingly -waitforit- slow. I couldn't even properly access the panel etc. very annoying. I contacted them on the first day and told them about this and asked for a refund. They said they didn't issue refunds. Thus I walked away from the box and never used it for the month I had paid for. I'd never advise you to use them.

Thanked by 1ndelaespada
  • i've been referring to dedicated which has been incredibly reliable and fast (1GBe, SSD) from experience. the cloud vps stuff is actually a bit newer (haven't personally used) and they just recently combined the two separate sites together, it used to be ubiquity servers and ubiquity hosting.

• They are greedy pricks, and have a game for manipulating your bill. Just wait for a few months after you leave them, you'll see.

• IndyRadio said: They are greedy pricks, and have a game for manipulating your bill. Just wait for a few months after you leave them, you'll see.

lol

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @ndelaespada why would you even consider them when there are so many other options around? Avoid them and look elsewhere. It's true, they hosted allot of spammers and what not, you will get an IP subnet that will be most likely blacklisted in a few places, their support can be rather unfriendly and allot of the time they don't have the simplest things on hand to fix a server if something breaks.

@marcm said:

Oh I'm no longer considering them.

Thanks everyone!

• ndelaespada said: Oh I'm no longer considering them.

Cool, let us know who you pick :)

• Hi guys,

We've had spam issues in the past, learned from them (evolved), and we're constantly innovating and implementing controls to keep spam off our network. Any ISP is challenged with this and we've got over 1.8 million IPv4 addresses making us one of the top 300 ISPs in the world (in terms of IPv4 space) -- with having a large volume of space, our relative abuse issue volume is low (and we are making continuous efforts to reduce it).

@DH22 Our old cloud had some issues that were caused by OnApp's software. We launched our new cloud at the start of 2014 and which does not at involve OnApp's software; it performs extremely well, and is available in more locations (at lower pricing too).

@ctalkington thank you for your support and business. Please feel free to add me on Skype.

@IndyRadio I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us; I'm not sure what happened, but if you contact me I will investigate and see what I can do.

@GIANT_CRAB I like your username. such fancy.

@kerouac We try to make our refund policy very clear, but I can't help but feel bad that you had a negative experience with us. I'd like to know the circumstances so please contact me directly; also I'd like to have you try our cloud free for awhile.

@ndelaespada please contact me directly and I'd like to set you up with a dedicated server for a little while.

Anyone else who's posted in this thread or doubts the quality of our service, I invite you to send me an email and I'll give you a free cloud server for a week.

Christopher Smith (Skype: Ubiquity.Chris ### Email: chris[dot]smith[at]ubiquityhosting.com)

• marcmmarcm Member

ubiquity_chris said: Any ISP is challenged with this and we've got over 1.8 million IPv4 addresses making us one of the top 300 ISPs in the world (in terms of IPv4 space)

Yet at times it's difficult to find that extra 16GB DDR3 that a customer has paid for a week ago or deploy a low end X3430 server in a timely fashion. Go Ubiquity! (or not). Thanks God there are so many other options out there.

• @ubiquity_chris the cloud images you guys offer are... weird...

Good thing is that you guys have the best OS's image, which is Fedora 20.

• marcmmarcm Member

GIANT_CRAB said: Good thing is that you guys have the best OS's image, which is Fedora 20

That's actually sad as Fedora isn't really meant for production use.

• @ubiquity_chris i didnt know that ubiquity has someone here can we talk on phone?

• DH22DH22 Member

@ubiquity_chris said:
    DH22 Our old cloud had some issues that were caused by OnApp's software. We launched our new cloud at the start of 2014 and which does not at involve OnApp's software; it performs extremely well, and is available in more locations (at lower pricing too).

I had problems with both the OnApp and your newer cloud. Tried three locations and just cancelled them a few days ago. Disappointed as I was really hoping they would work well this time but they were not stable.

• marcm said: That's actually sad as Fedora isn't really meant for production use.

Fedora is stable, how isn't it meant for production usage?

On a more related note, it isn't really meant for enterprise usage due to its quick EOL.

• edited March 2014

I hosted with these guys for a month but cancelled when I moved onto better things; hopefully they don't charge me despite the fact that they have sent me cancellations

Edit: So far I haven't been billed for services that I cancelled; although I did pull my debit card a while ago to make sure.

• marcmmarcm Member

GIANT_CRAB said: On a more related note, it isn't really meant for enterprise usage due to its quick EOL.

That's true. I remember back at thee end of 2002 ~ beginning of 2003, just after RedHat Linux 9 came out. It was the last release before Fedora(Core). Long story short, back them I switched away to Slackware, SuSE and Mandrake for my different needs. It was debated for weeks on IRC how Fedora should be used, and its use on a production server, enterprise or not, was a big no-no. There were people from RedHat back then on IRC answering the questions over and over again. It was a pretty huge PR disaster for RedHat back then.

But you can do as you please, and most certainly I won't try to stop you from using Fedora on a server in a production environment. Best of luck with that :-)

• @GIANT_CRAB, we have a very large client who uses Fedora for a lot of their dedicated servers - when they showed interest in our cloud, we created an image for them and just left it as an available option; since then I've seen a suprising number of Fedora clouds go out

• @setupvps send me an email or contact me on Skype and we can schedule a call at a time that's convenient for you :)

• @ubiquity_chris sent you email