Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slack gives $100/ $200 free credits for limited time.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slack gives $100/ $200 free credits for limited time.

upfreakupfreak Member
edited February 2014 in General

Slack is just IRC stuffed in a new bottle is a communicator for teams, as an alternative to hangouts, jira and yes IRC. They do have integrations with Google drive, and many other web services which makes them stand out.. Now they are giving out $100 in free credits. ( and yes there is also a forever free plan for unlimited people).

https://slack.com/r/025cnc7d-025cnc99

PS: This is an aff link, and the promo is only valid via referals.

Update : if you answer a 6 qn survey right after the account creation, you get another $100 credits making it $200 in total

The credits page states this

Your credits will expire after 60 days if not used.

however do not panic. the faq states

**My team's credits are going to expire before we can use all of them. That sucks!**
As long as you sign up for a subscription plan before the expiration date, those credits are yours to use until they're all gone.

And if you do not use an account for more than 10 days, they will stop charging you, so the credit stays forever in case it the account is kept idle.

Here's how it works: Slack does a daily check for activity on every one of your team's enabled users who have had their accounts for at least three weeks. If we find a user who hasn't used Slack at all in 10 days, we will consider their account to be inactive. Likewise, we'll do a check on inactive accounts to see if they've become active again and, if so, mark them as active.

When you upgrade to a paid tier, you’ll only be charged for accounts that are currently active. Any changes to the number of active users during your billing cycle will be result in a pro-rated credit or charge, just as they to if the accounts were manually added or disabled by an administrator (described in the previous two questions). The only difference is: you don’t have to lift a finger.
Thanked by 2Noerman Silvenga

Comments

• Is that an affiliate link? Because if so, it'd be nice if it was marked as such.

• @BK_ said:
    Is that an affiliate link? Because if so, it'd be nice if it was marked as such.

It is and this promo is only valid via referal.. anyway i shall update the post to reflect that

• peppr said: It is and this promo is only valid via referal.. anyway i shall update the post to reflect that

Haha, alright. Just wanted to claify. I don't have issues with affiliates/referrals, but I know a lot of people (including myself) would rather know :)

Nice share.

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • When I signed up it also asked me to answer a 6 question survey that also gave me $100 so now I have $200 \o/

• @Lucashayes said:
    When I signed up it also asked me to answer a 6 question survey that also gave me $100 so now I have $200 \o/

Same with me.

• @Lucashayes said:
    When I signed up it also asked me to answer a 6 question survey that also gave me $100 so now I have $200 \o/

Thanks for the tip. I have updated the first post.

• It's some sort of chat room for your business team? I still don't fully get what Slack can do for me.

• @ztec said:
    It's some sort of chat room for your business team? I still don't fully get what Slack can do for me.

It's pretty much just IRC with a fancy interface. :)

• It really just seems like they are trying to cash in on the success of HipChat. (and I mean really cash in...$8/user compared to $2/user). I really don't see much of a difference in functionality between Slack and HipChat to justify the price difference.

Also the Mac client is just the website in a MacGap window (chromeless webkit).

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I dunno I kinda like it and its free isn't it? The payment is for more file space and stuff isn't it?

• Err I guess, apparently I misread. I thought it was like a 60 day trial then you had to pay. But still $2 for full features vs $8 for full features. HipChat also has no storage limit (only a 50mb filesize limit).

Still playing with it so maybe I'll find something that changes my mind lol.

• Startup scene producing a lot of copycats lately.

• @RichardLeik said:
    Startup scene producing a lot of copycats lately.

Lately? Typical trend. Someone makes something new and it becomes successful. Suddenly everyone else starts developing the same thing but with a different name and look and try to hit the same success.

Look at games for instance, Flappy Bird is a 9 month old game that went viral in January then suddenly on the Google Play Store you have Clumsy Bird, Splashy Fish, Jumpy Penguin and Fall Out Bird just name a few from the top 50 Free games.

All the same thing but just looking different. This has been the case with all major developments of software.

• @OkieDoke said:
    All the same thing but just looking different. This has been the case with all major developments of software.

Yeah, lately, you just cited a 9 month old game.

• Way to completely miss the point of my comment. Well done lol.

• woulda get em credits had i not seen the alternative for $2/month in few above comments, (hipchat)...