Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ramnode free second IP!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ramnode free second IP!

WorldWorld Veteran
edited February 2014 in General

As title.I saw it from their Twitter:

02/24/2014 08:42 - For a limited time, we are offering free secondary IPs for US VPSs!

Cool!!

Thanked by 3Pats FrankZ Brad

Comments

• @Edo said:
    As title.I saw it from their Twitter:

02/24/2014 08:42 - For a limited time, we are offering free secondary IPs for US VPSs!

Cool!!

Damn! Awesome! I would instantly order a VPS with them if this is possible for NL :(

• how to get it..?

existing server or new order only...?

• Pfff... I only have 2 VPSs in NL -.-'

• How do we get the second ip for free? (Does this apply to existing customers too?)

• Just create a ticket

• Got 2, Thanks :)

• @Shamli said:
    how to get it..?

existing server or new order only...?

Yes, create ticket and tell them the purpose of this additional IP address.
    Got mine, sweet :)

Thanked by 1Shamli
  • Just ordered one extra IP. Thanks OP.

• Clever @Nick_A, that way customer names are listed randomly through your ranges ;)

Thanked by 2RichardLeik mpkossen
  • Anyone want to give me a few good uses for a second IP?

• secondary DNS, for example

• @ccarita said:
    secondary DNS, for example

Having your primary and secondary DNS on the same server completely misses the point of having a secondary...

• Indeed, but many people still do that anyway. After all, that's the LEB spirit, isn't it?

• how to get it?
    are need justification?

• For me it's so I can run unbound and nsd (both want port 53) without having to run a proxy in front of them.

• agentsmithagentsmith Member
    edited February 2014

@marlencrabapple said:
    Anyone want to give me a few good uses for a second IP?

When Chinese Great Firewall blocks one IP you can use the second one.

• Awesome company.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Wow, wasn't expecting this to be so popular!

Anyway, it applies for new orders and for existing clients. You can place the order from the Client Area (instructions in the FAQ). Keep in mind we do review every order/request individually, so it may take some time to process these orders.

• That's pretty awesome of RamNode.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Cool I submitted mine as well

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just...wait for it...ification. Way to get those allocations brother ;)

• I got mine a while back :)

I was under the impression it was 1 free IP/person not per server when I asked... Ended up getting an extra IP on each. Regardless of the reasoning why they are, it's awesome.

• I got mine fast and easy, RamNode is a wonderful provider. Thanks @Nick_A for everything you do.

• Heavy discounting and now giving IPs away?

• @bdtech said:
    Heavy discounting and now giving IPs away?

Building up the numbers to sell company at an inflated price?

Just kidding. Seems like a generous offer.

• You guys are kidding, right?

• lavguptalavgupta Member
    edited February 2014

You guys are awesome. Just sent a request :)

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited February 2014

Can't really support this, we're reaching depletion (or have reached depending on how you interpret the distribution) of IPv4 addresses, as motivators to innovate (doesn't necessarily mean ipv6 before we get silly) providers should be very restrictive regarding allocations (including those lucky enough to have excess or generous allocations). This akin Mc Donalds introducing an XXXL size meals nowadays, regardless of how you as an individual feel about nanny state the overall public sentiment would be negative.

Realistically, even for a typical VPS for most users doesn't even need a single dedicated public ipv4 address, most VPS user hosts websites or email services or other standard tcp/ip affairs, if a provider sets up a cluster of nginx or haproxy servers they could reverse proxy http (the last remaining form of insecure traffic nowadays) and https (user registers domain names via a cp) the requests back on the private network. In addition this proxy approach [c|w]ould work with SSH and most services protected by TLS due SNI support. Push forward not backwards.. It's 2014 (even ye olde 90's cpanel has sni now) , a dedicated IP per paid SSL cert should no longer be justification.

• using SNI we can set up multiple SSLs on same IP right?