Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare "I'm Under Attack Mode"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare "I'm Under Attack Mode"

marrcomarrco Member
edited April 2012 in General

Comments

• laaevlaaev Member

That's pretty sweet, thanks for sharing!

• Interesting.
    Recently we are talking too much about Cloudflare and if is able to protect your site or not.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • RophRoph Member

I used to use cloudflare for a while, but ditched them after they pretended my site was down and showed a cloudflare page to my visitors instead, multiple times :/

I just don't trust them. If they always work as they promise, nobody ever sees a cloudflare page and cloudflare gets no ad revenue.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @Roph said: I just don't trust them. If they always work as they promise, nobody ever sees a cloudflare page and cloudflare gets no ad revenue.

I would imagine that part of the reason for the free service is that they hope people will get a taste, see that they improve page load times / block spam comments / etc., and then move up to one of the paid plans (which offer more features, like supporting SSL).

It's also possible that they want their network to be as big as possible so they can do a better job of detecting spammers, abusive crawlers, and so on, and so they're willing to let some people have a free ride if it improves their service overall. (Although they are a CDN as well, that's not what they started out to be; before this, these people founded Project Honey Pot, which is security focused.)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Roph said: I used to use cloudflare for a while, but ditched them after they pretended my site was down and showed a cloudflare page to my visitors instead, multiple times :/

That may just be related to having poor connectivity between your actual physical server and the CloudFlare nodes.

Anyhow, it seems CF implemented a proof-of-work kind of thing. Interesting.

• The initial loading of my joomla was extremely slow using cloudflare than by passing it

• @Roph said: I used to use cloudflare for a while, but ditched them after they pretended my site was down and showed a cloudflare page to my visitors instead, multiple times :/

I just don't trust them. If they always work as they promise, nobody ever sees a cloudflare page and cloudflare gets no ad revenue.

I ditched them too, for the exact same reason. Now I'm using zerigo for the DNS.

If you are looking for security, incapsula is a pretty good alternative.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited April 2012

@cosmicgate said: The initial loading of my joomla was extremely slow using cloudflare than by passing it

Exactly. More "waiting.." time.

• @ralph

CloudFlare barely gets any money from those ads... they get most of their money from the paid subscriptions. Ads tend not to make that much money anyways.

Also, CloudFlare doesn't put ads on their "Website Currently Unavailable" page. They only have ads on their captcha pages. They don't make money when your website is taking too long to respond.

Your server could have also been blocking some of CloudFlare's IPs. That would cause a false positive.

Lastly, people are supposed to see CloudFlare pages if their network is infected; that means their service is working. So their are times when CloudFlare pages are good for you visitors.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't trust them. Care to explain?

Thanked by 2VPNsh chinmoy
  • @DotVPS said: The feature works according to one of my clients ;).

Do you have sketchy clients :P

• RophRoph Member

@flam316 my site/server was not taking too long to respond. I try hard to stay in the sub 0.1s page generation time range. When my users were reporting cloudflare lying about downtime, they had no problem accessing it directly.

When I tried cloudflare I went all in properly, I whitelisted their IPs and used the apache module. I wouldn't consider it a network issue of my host either, I use ServInt for my main sites. I blame Cloudflare.

edited April 2012

@Roph said: @flam316 my site/server was not taking too long to respond. I try hard to stay in the sub 0.1s page generation time range. When my users were reporting cloudflare lying about downtime, they had no problem accessing it directly.

When I tried cloudflare I went all in properly, I whitelisted their IPs and used the apache module. I wouldn't consider it a network issue of my host either, I use ServInt for my main sites. I blame Cloudflare.

Ever considered a routing issue between CloudFlare and your server? Did you actually even try to submit a support ticket so they had the chance to look into it?

EDIT: For the record, I think these accusations are starting to sound rather farfetched, somewhat in the same category as "Twitter is censoring the trending topics", while it's really just people misunderstanding how the algo works.

• RophRoph Member

I don't know what's farfetched about it, or how it's an "accusation". Cloudflare repeatedly lied about my site/server being down, when it was demonstrably up. Your point about routing makes me wonder if you realise how the internet works.

Thanked by 1vld
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited April 2012

@Roph you're not alone. I also have the same issue, more than 5 times in a month CF said that my site down while it is actually up. Not more than 2 minutes though. But it is annoying.
    just Google about "CloudFlare downtime" .

@Roph said: Cloudflare repeatedly lied about my site/server being down, when it was demonstrably up. Your point about routing makes me wonder if you realise how the internet works.

Yes, because a piece of software has the capability to decide to 'lie' because they don't like you. Oh, wait.

Right, to the point. If there is a routing issue (yes, I know how the internet works, thank you) between CloudFlare nodes and your server, then as far as CloudFlare is aware your server is down, as they can't reach it. That has nothing to do with lying, that has nothing to do with knowingly not providing service, that has to do with CloudFlare not being able to know that your site is actually up.

And again, have you actually submitted a support ticket?

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @NanoG6 If you google that, that will bring you to something totally different (I.E. network downtime, which isn't what your talking about).

@roph: @joepie91 has got a point... have you submitted a support ticket? It would be absurd if you hadn't... that would be the first thing I, or anyone else, would do when they encounter a problem. How are they supposed to help you if you don't submit a ticket? I could just be a simple config error on your part and you would have never known.

And again, @joepie91 brings up another good point: there could have been a routing issue between your server and CloudFlare's servers. That's entirely possible... not sure why you're questioning his knowledge about the internet when he obviously knows more about it than you do.

• @flam316 said: @NanoG6 If you google that, that will bring you to something totally different (I.E. network downtime, which isn't what your talking about).

@roph: @joepie91 has got a point... have you submitted a support ticket? It would be absurd if you hadn't... that would be the first thing I, or anyone else, would do when they encounter a problem. How are they supposed to help you if you don't submit a ticket? I could just be a simple config error on your part and you would have never known.

And again, @joepie91 brings up another good point: there could have been a routing issue between your server and CloudFlare's servers. That's entirely possible... not sure why you're questioning his knowledge about the internet when he obviously knows more about it than you do.

Hehe.. Well yeah let's say may be there is routing issue or something :)