Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to enable php-fpm in Virtualmin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to enable php-fpm in Virtualmin?

How to set up virtualmin to use php-fpm instead of fcgi? Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• Eh, I did at one point, but it took a day of perl coding to add support for it. I have an old copy of the modified code on dropbox, but it would have to be re-implemented into the newest version.

Best to stick with fcgi.

• There's a pretty good set of parameters here if you're looking into doing this. But as pcfreak30 said, it would be best, and easiest, to stick with fcgi. There aren't many resources out there to do this.

• @pcfreak30 said:
    Eh, I did at one point, but it took a day of perl coding to add support for it. I have an old copy of the modified code on dropbox, but it would have to be re-implemented into the newest version.

Best to stick with fcgi.

@Aeden said:
    There's a pretty good set of parameters here if you're looking into doing this. But as pcfreak30 said, it would be best, and easiest, to stick with fcgi. There aren't many resources out there to do this.

I was looking for an easy way to enable php-fpm support in server templates in virtualmin, but I suppose that's not possible. There are some threads about this on virtualmin forum dating back to 2012, but it seems they still haven't added support for php-fpm. It doesn't even recognize/list php-fpm in php modules. @pcfreak30 I guess it was you who started this thread: https://www.virtualmin.com/node/22901 Any reason why you stopped working on it? It's disappointing that they still haven't added support for php-fpm.

• Yeah, spending more than 5 minutes and research has yielded me nothing. It seems like there is no support for this.

• @Atomic7 said:
    I was looking for an easy way to enable php-fpm support in server templates in virtualmin, but I suppose that's not possible. There are some threads about this on virtualmin forum dating back to 2012, but it seems they still haven't added support for php-fpm. It doesn't even recognize/list php-fpm in php modules. pcfreak30 I guess it was you who started this thread: https://www.virtualmin.com/node/22901 Any reason why you stopped working on it? It's disappointing that they still haven't added support for php-fpm.

I had a ticket in the tracker open 1+ years ago. I stopped as I was getting tired of merging my changes with upstream since they don't provide a GPL git repo publicly.

I just found that php-fpm really didn't provide extreme benefits worth the trouble of maintaining the mod. There is also the fact that getting it work work in apache 2.2 is a pain in the A** and I spent a LONG time tinkering with different modules and settings to get a consistent working setup.

When virtualmin supports apache 2.4 officially and 2.4 becomes more mainstream, it might make sense to try and use it given the new modules available.

I still have the rather out of date code, and am better at perl now. I just don't have any motivation or reason to work on it. Like many projects, the intent was for internal use and I contributed it back. And presently I don't see any reason to use php-fpm.

Regards.

Thanked by 1Atomic7
  • RolterRolter Member
    edited September 2014

Since this thread shows up as the first result in google , i will add some details about php-fpm and virtualmin ...

I use nginx + php-fpm on every instance of my virtualmin installation and its not really hard to do and i have been doing it for over 2 years now .

Here are some of the resources that might of help to people who land on this page ..

Install nginx -- http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/web/nginx

Instlla php-fpm with -- yum install php-fpm