Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How fast will you support Ubuntu 14.04
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How fast will you support Ubuntu 14.04

Assuming Ubuntu 14.04 comes out in April 17, when will you have templates for it?

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

I guess, most KVM based providers won't have an issue adding in the ISO, templates for KVM might depend on SolusVM to add them on their TDN or else a few might be able to create them off on their own as well, OpenVZ might also not take long since off recently, I've noticed OpenVZ guys generating & releasing templates pretty quickly.

• I'm sure linode will add that to their template list as soon as release date.

• And if your provider does not support it, just upgrade with the package update-manager-core. I'm already running the pre-reelase (14.04) on my VPS and it's stable.

Thanked by 1tchen
  • How about Xen? Is it easy? I am contemplating if I will use 12.04 now or wait for 14.04.

• Presumably there will be two editions on release date (both same packages on release date though), 14.04 lts and 14.04, the latter will push the option to upgrade to 14.10 six months later. I cant see any reason for noticeable delay Microsoft Azure already has 14.04 daily build as a template..

• Isn't a LTS release meant to fix all bugs and fix everything up to ensure a trust able, dependable, stable, reliable long term operating system?

Would 14.04 have any real difference in terms of stability? Wouldn't it be more stable in a sense that there is active development aimed towards fixing all bugs?

• CharlesACharlesA Member
    edited February 2014

@nonuby said:
    Presumably there will be two editions on release date (both same packages on release date though), 14.04 lts and 14.04, the latter will push the option to upgrade to 14.10 six months later. I cant see any reason for noticeable delay Microsoft Azure already has 14.04 daily build as a template..

14.04 is a LTS release, there is no 14.04 "normal" and 14.04 "lts" - only a LTS version. If should default to notification of LTS releases only unless the user changes it.

The easiest way to get 14.04 running is to run updated-manager-core like IceCream said.

• @jcaleb said:
    Assuming Ubuntu 14.04 comes out in April 17, when will you have templates for it?

When first iso is available, we will have it ready as a template :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb