Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this server good to provide web hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this server good to provide web hosting?

PremiumNPremiumN Member
edited February 2014 in General

I am looking at a server for a new hosting company but i need to know more about the following configuration and if it is good to provide web hosting:

Dual Xeon 5150

4 Cores / 4 Threads

2.5Ghz - 2 processors

8GB DDR2 RAM

500GB Hard Drive

20TB on 1Gbit Port (Default)

Comments

• Single drive? I wouldn't do that!

• @joodle said:
    Single drive? I wouldn't do that!

What if i add another 500GB hard drive to my configuration?

• @PremiumN said:
    What if i add another 500GB hard drive to my configuration?

Would be better, but i really recommend getting 4 drives @ RAID10

• @joodle said:
    Would be better, but i really recommend getting 4 drives @ RAID10

Apart from that, can you see any other issues?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Well, I'd recommend reselling from a reputable provider. The fact that you are asking us if the configuration is good or not, means that you would probably be just another "summerhost" operation.

• @PremiumN said:
    Apart from that, can you see any other issues?

Nope, atleast your/your customers data is save if 1 drive fails

• @Alex_LiquidHost said:
    Well, I'd recommend reselling from a reputable provider. The fact that you are asking us if the configuration is good or not, means that you would probably be just another "summerhost" operation.

You can see the config for yourself ~ https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=239

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BTW, I don't think @joodle meant 4 SATA drives. You want SAS/SCSI in hardware RAID-10. And of course, spares onsite.

BTW, how are you backing it up?

What failover for when it has a problem or you need to patch?

Smells like another "premium " summerhost...

• The problem other than hd configuration ( with another 15$ you can do raid 10) is 5 usable IPv4 Address and no option to buy more (you should ask if they can provide more).

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited February 2014

As a starter in the webhosting industry you won't be making much for the first months, i've been in bussiness since April 2013 and i make around $75 a month (i do this as a hobby though)

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • are you good to provide web hosting?

• @PremiumN - Delimiter sells almost this configuration but with 16GB RAM. If you took their server you can get put an extra 500GB disk for $10/month. So for $30/month or $40/month depending on your billing frequency you would have a more robust server. Running anything mission critical with a single disk is a recipe for disaster.

• @MarkTurner said:
    PremiumN - Delimiter sells almost this configuration but with 16GB RAM. If you took their server you can get put an extra 500GB disk for $10/month. So for $30/month or $40/month depending on your billing frequency you would have a more robust server. Running anything mission critical with a single disk is a recipe for disaster.

Link?

• @tsanten said:
    The problem other than hd configuration ( with another 15$ you can do raid 10) is 5 usable IPv4 Address and no option to buy more (you should ask if they can provide more).

I think he wants to set up shared hosting so IPs isn't an issue

• @PremiumN -

$16.66/month (payable annually at $200/year - $20/month, months 11 & 12 free and double bandwidth to 10TB) - Coupon X5150TWOMONTHSFREE

$20/month (payable quarterly at $60/quarter) - Coupon SERVERFEB2014

$30/month (payable month-to-month) - Coupon SERVERFEB2014

Order Here