Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LXC 1.0 Released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LXC 1.0 Released

http://linuxcontainers.org/news/

LXC 1.0 was released yesterday.

LXC 1.0 is the first production ready release of LXC and it comes with a commitment from upstream to maintain it until at least Ubuntu 14.04 LTS reaches end of life in April 2019. That's slightly over 5 years of support!

Tons of changes, but the most interesting for most of us here is probably support for fully unprivileged containers, which should open the door for hosts to at least begin thinking about actually selling LXC-based VPSes. In a way, LXC is the spiritual successor to OpenVZ - after all, a lot of features used by LXC got their start in OpenVZ (PID and network namespaces, memory controller, and checkpoint-restore come to mind).

So, with that, what do you guys think? Is LXC the wave of the future in VPS hosting? Will it overtake OpenVZ? Where does Docker* fit into this? Or is containerization going to disappear completely, with KVM continuing it's upward trend?**

*: Docker uses LXC too, but it doesn't really provide a full OS environment and is designed for containerizing specific applications. Would Docker be suitable for, say, a hosted app service like AppFog? Or, with the introduction of fully unprivileged containers, will Docker expand it's functionality to allow a full OS environment?

**: Is KVM really on an upward trend? I see more and more KVM providers now than I did a year ago, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Comments