Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOSH: Mobile Shell
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MOSH: Mobile Shell

MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
edited April 2012 in General

This is really awesome, I recommend you use it.

http://mosh.mit.edu/

Of course it requires UNIX, but who uses Windows when managing servers that aren't Windows anyway?

Thanked by 2yomero mrm2005

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2012

We installed this on our systems a few weeks ago. It's been a true godsend.

I live in a rural area and get mediocre 1.5 megabit wireless internet that's transited over Cogent. Combine that with a wife who enjoys watching streaming TV and/or obliterating Pinterest, means there's very little interactive bandwidth left for me. Enter MOSH.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Seems kind of pointless for anyone other than people with crap connections. I don't need my client sending me snapshots. SSH/tmux for me please.

• @subigo said: Seems kind of pointless for anyone other than people with crap connections. I don't need my client sending me snapshots. SSH/tmux for me please.

I have a fairly decent SSH connection, and it still works way better. It corrects so many SSH errors

• @Daniel said: I have a fairly decent SSH connection, and it still works way better. It corrects so many SSH errors

Do you really have so many ssh errors that you need something to correct them? I don't even remember the last time I had errors like they show on their site and I definitively don't have crashes. There's just no way I would give up Tmux for something like Mosh.

• @subigo said: Do you really have so many ssh errors that you need something to correct them? I don't even remember the last time I had errors like they show on their site and I definitively don't have crashes. There's just no way I would give up Tmux for something like Mosh.

You know how annoying it is when you have to spam Ctrl+C or your prompt ends up becoming symbols.

• RophRoph Member

A problem for me is that my ISP (Virgin Media, largest UK cable/fiber ISP) kills idle connections after 30 seconds or so. So if I want to keep a session open in Putty I have to spam ls commands every now and then to keep it active.

Maybe this will solve that stuff, I'll be looking into it :)

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @Roph said: A problem for me is that my ISP (Virgin Media, largest UK cable/fiber ISP) kills idle connections after 30 seconds or so. So if I want to keep a session open in Putty I have to spam ls commands every now and then to keep it active.

You're making things harder than they need to be. That's what keepalive is for:

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.55/htmldoc/Chapter4.html#S4.13.4

• @Roph said: So if I want to keep a session open in Putty I have to spam ls commands every now and then to keep it active

Putty -> Change settings -> Connection -> "Seconds between keepalive"

• specklspeckl Member
    edited April 2012

I think mosh is a great start to something for mobile device users. Phones are becoming so advanced with quad cores coming. Eventually every device will have its own dedicated ipv6 and our workstations will fit in our pockets.

To me it looks like mosh is setting itself up to become a standard soon.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @speckl said: Phones are becoming so advanced with quad cores coming. Eventually every device will have its own dedicated ipv6 and our workstations will fit in our pockets.

I like my laptop too much to let that happen.

• @Roph said: A problem for me is that my ISP (Virgin Media, largest UK cable/fiber ISP) kills idle connections after 30 seconds or so. So if I want to keep a session open in Putty I have to spam ls commands every now and then to keep it active.

@Spirit said: Putty -> Change settings -> Connection -> "Seconds between keepalive"

or add this in sshd_config:

ClientAliveInterval 5

• @NanoG6 there's always someone who ruin your crafty signature, isn't it? :P

• This stuff is really amazing.

A PITA to configure it in one of my squeeze machines ¬_¬ but is working fine :P

• @yomero said: A PITA to configure it in one of my squeeze machines ¬_¬ but is working fine :P

Its a bit weird on the packages.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Roph is it just SSH that times out or everything?

If it is just SSH follow what the others said, if not call the Virgin cancellation of service line, one of the options on 151 I think and get them to arrange an engineer to take a look at your cable power levels and possibly fit an attinuator (I think thats what its called). It happened to me and now its working absolutely fine in terms of timeouts.

• @Spirit said: @NanoG6 there's always someone who ruin your crafty signature, isn't it? :P

Ya.. make me wonder, they really like my comment or just want to ruin the signature :-/

Thanked by 2yomero netomx