Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server Setup Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server Setup Help

Hello All,

I am planing to rent a dedicated server to host a pet project I am working on, and a few websites (4 actually) for friends.

Isolation of services is important, and with that in mind, I was thinking along the lines of the of the following setup:

• The bare metal OS, handles my main website / e-mail / DNS services.
  • A virtual machine to handle my pet project and all the websites (low traffic) for those friends that don't contribute towards the costs of the server (a single public IP for all the websites in this environment).
  • A separate VM is setup for each of the friends that contributes towards the costs of the server (each VM with a separate public IP)

The ability to set/change resource limits (CPU, RAM, disk and network I/O) would be a plus.

What OS, Virtualisation (KVM, OpenVZ, LXC) and auxiliary software (Control Panel) combination would you go for?

Sorry for such a generic question. I have played with a few technologies, and read about others, which I would like to test. Unfortunately, time is limited, so I am trying to figure out of a direction so the tests will be the most relevant.

The server spec is likely to be:

• I7-4770
  • 32G Ram
  • 2 HDD RAID1 (2TB each)

Thanks,
GeorgeG

Comments

• Hello, go ahead with KVM is much better, if you dont like and whant to pay for solusvm go with Proxmox which will do the same thing but free of cost.

• Hello Costin C,

I have used virt-manager to manage KVM VMs in the past, but that was withing a local network, what would be a more efficient way to manage the addtional VMs?

Regards,
    Georgeg

• Hi, my opinion is that if is for personal use, then go with Proxmox you will find it pretty ok to do the task for what you need.

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • GeorgeGGeorgeG Member
    edited February 2014

Well... 3 of the websites are online shops.
    But I will be the only one managing the back end. There is no desire to give access to anyone else really.

Would that fall under your definition of "personal use"?

Regards, Georgeg

Thanked by 1racksx
  • @GeorgeG said:
    Well... 3 of the websites are online shops.
    But I will be the only one managing the back end. There is no desire to give access to anyone else really.

Regards, Georgeg

If you whant to give access to stop/start/manage console to a virtual server, using proxmox you can do it, it has posibility to add users and asign roles of it under a virtual server or more.

Thanked by 2GeorgeG Abdussamad
  • @GeorgeG said:

Regards, Georgeg

Reselling services inside of server, like selling virtual private servers.

• I agree, Proxmox is probably the best use of your server.

• tuguhosttuguhost Member
    edited February 2014

if it was only for hosting web why not to just use cloudlinux?

• @tuguhost said:
    if it was only for hosting web why not to just use cloudlinux?

I presume that his friends that have paid may want unrestricted access instead of just jailed SSH or the such.

• U can use also HyperVM! (Just kidding, stay away from that crap). Try feathur (BlueVM's panel) or Promox, they are easy to install and use for making virtual machines. Cloudmin is very good but is much more complicated. Then, for a web panel, I suggest you to use ISP Config (nice clean interface and very secure, with the best set of instructions on how to install/use it). Some people here suggests vesta cp, but IMHO it lacks of features. For virtualization, if you are going to use it for personal / few clients purposes, the best solution is OVZ because of the minimum overhead (yes, it can be heavily oversold but you don't mind, you will handle your own dedi server). All of those solution are free for personal use or one server.

• The only problem you will encounter is using a single public IP for multiple VM's.

You can use something like Virtualmin for a fake 'VM'.

• +1 for Proxmox VE.

• @jeffreywinters said:
    The only problem you will encounter is using a single public IP for multiple VM's.

You can use something like Virtualmin for a fake 'VM'.

Just setting up a bridge and then giving ur vm's private ip's works fine for me. If I need incoming connections such as ssh I just forward the ports onto the VM.

• @sc754 said:
    Just setting up a bridge and then giving ur vm's private ip's works fine for me. If I need incoming connections such as ssh I just forward the ports onto the VM.

How do you plan to give port 80 to all of them?

• @jeffreywinters said:
    How do you plan to give port 80 to all of them?

The op would need to host his site and all his friends site from 1 vps on the machine, but of course he could split out the services. Or he could use Haproxy to forward domains to different vps's like they do at lowendspirit.

• for a couple of VMs, why not just use linux directly with commands. no nice graphics but it works.

what about using a trial license for SolusVM, then delete it when setup. would that kill the VMs too? (I'm using Solus but never looked under the hood)

• I don't mean to be bias here or anything, but CentOS, KVM, and cPanel ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Openvz would be the most flexible for tweaking the resources after the fact. Most specifically disk space, live without any issues or restarts. Proxmox + openvz is a good safe bet for flexibility. Plus cpanel licensed through Kevin here ;)

• @jarland said:
    Plus cpanel licensed through Kevin here ;)

Are you sure you don't mean through hostgator? :P

Thanked by 1jar
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:
    Openvz would be the most flexible for tweaking the resources after the fact. Most specifically disk space, live without any issues or restarts. Proxmox + openvz is a good safe bet for flexibility. Plus cpanel licensed through Kevin here ;)

Proxmox with OVZ is flexibility is needed. Resizing KVM is not that easy, at least regarding the disk. It also needs downtime, while OVZ does not.

Thanked by 1jar
  • GeorgeGGeorgeG Member
    edited February 2014

Thanks for your feedback so far, and sorry for the radio silence treatment (got busy with my real work...)

Each VM will have it's own public IP. One of the VMs will be "special" in the sense that it will host a number of websites (that belong to friends that don't pay) along with a few parked domains all sharing the same IP.

At the moment I am managing all aspects of these websites, so no need to give access to other people.

Regards,
    GeorgeG