Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torrentflux or rTorrent is the most suitable (my case)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Torrentflux or rTorrent is the most suitable (my case)?

edited April 2012 in General

Hi,LET
i want to setup simple torrent server,my need is

I just need to transfer file from torrent server to my box (and then i download it via normal download manager)
because some ports are blocked in my school

Its private,and i dont need to seed function
because i only use it occaniously

i have low end dual core xen with 128/128 memory
so which one do you suggest,torrentflux or rtorrent??

Comments

• rtorrent

I am too lazy to install torrentflux, plus web server, php bla bla

• @MeMyselfandLinux said: i have low end dual core xen with 128/128 memory

so which one do you suggest,torrentflux or rtorrent??

Have you used the rtorrent CLI before? If not, and "simple" means a web interface (by your choice of torrentflux), I heartily recommend qbittorrent-nox. It's a one-piece webGUI/daemon and does not require a separate web server. It's run great for me on an OVZ 128/128 (vSwap) and another OVZ 128/128 (Burst), so I imagine it will run even better on Xen.

Thanked by 2VPNsh djvdorp
  • @quirkyquark said: It's a one-piece webGUI/daemon and does not require a separate web server.

That sounds better

• @MeMyselfandLinux said: Its private,and i dont need to seed function

because i only use it occaniously

Also, you should double check your VPS providers policy on torrents -- a lot of them don't allow it. If you won't be seeding but just leeching -- bad karma, I know, but I've been on a dorm network too :) -- you can try risking it, but disable UDP/DHT and set a sane upload limit. Needless to say, quit when you're done.

Of course, it helps if you are an EE/CS/IT major...one spoofed MAC and I could be on the 100+ mbits/sec core in the lab at 3 AM ;)

• rtorrent +1. torrentflux and torrentflux-b4rt cannot do trackerless torrents or magnet links. I do not know about rtorrent but my home seedbox was torrentflux, now is deluged+webui because of tpd ditched all the torent files...

• kalamkalam Member

rutorrent with rtorrent obviously.

• torrent flux with fuck up your 128mb bro.

• Deluge also has a nice webinterface (standalone) but i don't know if it runs on 128mb

• AsimAsim Member

I prefer utorrent since my windows-desktop client and the webclient will have the same interface, one package does it all

• @quirkyquark said: Also, you should double check your VPS providers policy on torrents -- a lot of them don't allow it. If you won't be seeding but just leeching -- bad karma, I know, but I've been on a dorm network too :) -- you can try risking it, but disable UDP/DHT and set a sane upload limit. Needless to say, quit when you're done.

BuyVM does afaik

• @Asim said: I prefer utorrent

uTorrent on Wine on a 128MB VPS is asking for trouble...

The qbittorrent-nox webGUI has a nice uTorrent-ish interface. I decided to test it out on the closest VPS I have, a 128MB Xen. Here's a screenshot, downloading 4 torrents @ ~16 MB/sec (Beeb documentaries to be safe :)

And the associated htop screenshot... about 27M res, with load stable around 0.30 -- the GUI's built in, not related to the running apache.

• NickWNickW Member

rutorrent is much better for a private user.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Transmission is quiet good and comes with a neat WebUI !

• In case you have not Googled and found the low end server BarracudaDrive and the torrent plugin:

http://barracudadrive.net/blog/2010/11/How-to-Setup-Your-Own-Remote-Online-BitTorrent-Client

• rtorrent + a watch folder

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

@quirkyquark said: uTorrent on Wine on a 128MB VPS is asking for trouble...

Sure, but the Linux build might fare alright in such an environment.

Thanked by 1quirkyquark