Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When shopping for a datacenter...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When shopping for a datacenter...

DamianDamian Member
edited April 2012 in General

...make sure it has redundant A/C.

Cause it'll get up to 96°F (that's 36 ° C to.. everyone else) in Phoenix. And then things start getting melty and your hardware nodes start shutting themselves down because they're hot and stuff. Self-preservation and all, y'know.

And when you try to turn stuff back on, well, you're going to have to wait:

New datacenter has A/C. And then it has redundant A/C. And then it has ANOTHER redundant A/C.

I can't wait til May when we move.

(/rant)

Comments

• Could of just pressed "Esc" :P

• @Taylor said: Could of just pressed "Esc" :P

We tried that on a different node, it managed about 5 lines of kernel output and committed suicide...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You also shouldn't use CPU's that sit at 100W <_<

Francisco

Thanked by 2netomx TheHackBox
  • @Francisco said: You also shouldn't use CPU's that sit at 100W <_<

Indeed, we just bought a whole pile of new Supermicro systems over Easter weekend that will be used to replace our old hotness when we move.

• @Damian said: our old hotness

so not sexy

Thanked by 2Liam netomx
  • Sometimes you must clean the dust, and change the thermal compound... lol

• @yomero said: Sometimes you must clean the dust, and change the thermal compound... lol

Won't do much if the ambient temperature is too high :P

• From 20 (for example) to 36 isn't too much difference.

• JacobJacob Member

I think cooling is sufficient in the UK, You can hear the ventilation when Just outside.

• From 20 (for example) to 36 isn't too much difference.

Only an 80% increase :)

• NickWNickW Member

Netburst LOL.

• I also like how wordy the warning is. "Temperature violation detected" instead of "System Overheat"...

• @vmhosts said: Only an 80% increase :)

Yes, for US is the hell in the earth, but +16 for a chip at... let's say 60, is 76, so isn't too much

• lumaluma Member

Your nodes have dual 3.0Ghz xeons with 3GB of ram? That is from what, 2000? wow!

And in a DC without redundant AC?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@luma said: Your nodes have dual 3.0Ghz xeons with 3GB of ram? That is from what, 2000? wow!

And in a DC without redundant AC?

damn, my 2010 server is 1 xeon :(

• rolleyes

It's used for uptime monitoring, cacti, and munin. And that's about it. It's getting replaced with a dual-core 1.8ghz Atom with 2gb of ram and an SSD, shocking!

• @Damian said: used for uptime monitoring, cacti, and munin.

So a 512mb VPS could easily replace it, and I bet IPXcore would make an excellent choice for your VPS needs.

Thanked by 1titanicsaled
  • JacobJacob Member

What he said..

@miTgiB said: So a 512mb VPS could easily replace it, and I bet IPXcore would make an excellent choice for your VPS needs.

• It also generates reports, runs an X server for ilo/DRAC, controls the serial console connections for the switch & router, and contains the NIC that connects to the "backdoor" port for when Bad Things happen such as DDoS.

You guys are tough :P

Anyway, IPXcore would indeed make an excellent choice for my (and anyone else's) needs.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

@Damian wrote:
    Cause it'll get up to 96°F (that's 36 ° C to.. everyone else) in Phoenix.
    And then things start getting melty

The majority of "DC friendly" rackmount kit works fine with an inlet temperature of 40dec C, with some able to function just fine @ 60degC - thats the temperatire range in a lot of "shipping container" setups.

• It was 96f outside the data center and MUCH HOTTER INSIDE. By the time I got there It felt like 110f .

• The best data centers run 2N+1 which means they have 2x the number of units that are required to run the datacenter. Most places claim N+1 or +2 which means they have spares.

But I'd point out 2N+1 can be costly to build, 100 million for 6000 sqft. It's about 25% cheaper on expanding because the power system is basically a substation so it can expand with space cheaper than building LV switch gear for each addition and bringing in new lines.

Walmart is building a new datacenter right up the street and they're sinking 100 million into 20,000 sqft usable, but the power company has a substation about 1000 feet away so there was no need for them to build in HV switch gear. What's funny is the city hailed it as a jobs success when it might employ 50 people for less than 75k each.

• @FRCorey said: Walmart is building a new datacenter right up the street and they're sinking 100 million into 20,000 sqft

Now if WalMart broke into the LEB market...

Thanked by 2TheHackBox ipxadam
  • laaevlaaev Member
    edited April 2012

@liam said: Why is everyone going to Arizona?

PhoenixNAP/SecuredServers has a really large facility there. Additionally Singlehop is building a new Phoenix DC and they're already taking preorders for there new Phoenix location launching in May.

• @Kairus said: Now if WalMart broke into the LEB market...

Challenge Accepted <_<