Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server farm by Rasberry/Cutieboard?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server farm by Rasberry/Cutieboard?

I want to setup a server farm from those mini-PC for hosting my websites.

Any comments or experience on the performance compared to VPS or dedicated server?

Comments

• Are you saying you want to colocate many of these? The IO performance on those Pi's are horrible, as they use an SD card. Also, I haven't heard great things about the network performance. You'd be much better off using VPSes if the only reason you want the Raspberry Pi's or Cutieboard's are for the novelty of it.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • If you want performance, get a real server. If you want to play and experiment - these are OK.

• Well be prepared for a lot of "they are useless for almost any application"
    I have a few RPi's now and I absolutely love them. If you don't have massive needs then they are perfect.
    I would have one with my whmcs on it but unfortunately ion cube doesn't support arm processors. But I have a few completely dynamic sites running on some. Some are web scrapers and one I even use as a work server so if someone accesses it they don't have access to the works network it's on it's own standalone connection.

I even decided to see how far I could push one and ran a bitcoin miner on one and although it was useless in that manner it still handled the constant CPU hammering it got quite nicely

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2014

MichaelBui said: Cutieboard

Sorry what board?

dhamaniasad said: if the only reason you want the Raspberry Pi's or Cutieboard's are for the novelty of it.

You do not even know how it's properly called either, yet already quick to judge it as useless.

AutoSnipe said: I have a few RPi's now and I absolutely love them. If you don't have massive needs then they are perfect. I would have one with my whmcs on it but unfortunately ion cube doesn't support arm processors. But I have a few completely dynamic sites running on some.

Spot on, and now imagine Cubieboard at the same tasks, which is about 3 to 5 times faster than R Pi, due to using not one but two CPU cores which are a generation newer, and also higher-clocked as well.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited February 2014

@rm_ said:
    Spot on, and now imagine Cubieboard at the same tasks, which is about 3 to 5 times faster than R Pi, due to using not one but two CPU cores which are a generation newer, and also higher-clocked as well.

The Cubieboard is mediocre right now. Thankfully there are some developments now though and a decent desktop distro from Cubian. I've yet to use mine as server yet, so maybe it'd be better doing those tasks. I know your stuff is more server oriented right?

• @rm_
    when i upgrade the RPi's to something bigger, i wanna get one of the ARMv7 servers that ReliableSite was selling, i hear it was only slightly bigger then a Cubieboard, but Quad core & 2Gb Ram

• @AutoSnipe said:
    rm_
    when i upgrade the RPi's to something bigger, i wanna get one of the ARMv7 servers that ReliableSite was selling, i hear it was only slightly bigger then a Cubieboard, but Quad core & 2Gb Ram

It was an Odroid U2 I believe. I was tempted to get one, but my ARM expectations of replacing a computer are a tad high I guess.

• @david_p
    i think it was, i had found the exact one they had, but in the hdd crash of 2013 i lost everything. but i dare say it will only be replacing my work server.
    Cheers for that :)

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited February 2014

Hope ARM gets better. :)

• i hope some companies actually realize that just coz a RPi has 700mhz doesn't mean it's crap.. like, WSI and Joes still have P4's and imho, an RPi would Whoop their Ass..
    *As you can tell, i have only really commented on about RPi's as i don't have nor do i have plans on getting a CubieBoard, Although.. if it was given to me, i would reconsider :-P

• DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2014

@AutoSnipe said:
    i hope some companies actually realize that just coz a RPi has 700mhz doesn't mean it's crap.. like, WSI and Joes still have P4's and imho, an RPi would Whoop their Ass

"Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics."
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs#performanceSpeed

• well, it seems oh so much better..
    especially compared to cough GVH VPS Cough
    but i would honestly have the comparison against a Single Core Atom..
    i <3 my RPi's :-P

edited February 2014

AutoSnipe said: just coz a RPi has 700mhz doesn't mean it's crap..

But indeed, it's not competitive performance-wise, the only thing it still has going for it, is the huge community and easily accessible GPIOs usable for robotics, automation etc (but useless in a server). There are now boards that are many times faster, and cost only just a bit more (+$10-20).

AutoSnipe said: like, WSI and Joes still have P4's and imho, an RPi would Whoop their Ass

Nnnnnnnnnnope, http://bryanquigley.com/uncategorized/rasberry-pi-vs-old-dell-p4
    Some random Pentium 4 is actually 10-20 times faster than the Pi.
    But of course it also consumes 20-30 times more electricity.

• dhamaniasad said: The IO performance on those Pi's are horrible

I can get ~25 MB/s with a Class 10 16GB SD Card, it's not too horrible..

edited February 2014

joodle said: I can get ~25 MB/s with a Class 10 16GB SD Card, it's not too horrible..

It will be awful on random small writes. But that's really beside the point. With modern boards such as the Cubieboard you get a SATA port and can use a proper HDD or SSD instead of the SD card.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Plug an ssd on it and let them boot over the SD from the ssd.

Works like magic and you get such much I/O.

• Infinity580 said: Plug an ssd on it and let them boot over the SD from the ssd.

Works like magic and you get such much I/O.

You have some ways to plug in a SATA port to RPi or you are using the USB connection?

• Compared to a VPS or dedicated server the raspberry PI can hardly compare in performance (maybe like one process per PI?). But cost wise, the raspberry PI beats them out really good.

• @joodle said:
    I can get ~25 MB/s with a Class 10 16GB SD Card, it's not too horrible..

That beats the Host1Free VPS I/O testing. They get like 23MB/s at best.