Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OneAsiaHost.com (OAH) initial impressions vs Digital Ocean (SG) for OpenVPN AS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OneAsiaHost.com (OAH) initial impressions vs Digital Ocean (SG) for OpenVPN AS

kaflokaflo Member
edited February 2014 in Reviews

I was looking for a VPS that is near the Philippines where I could install OpenVPN Access Server and I tried oneasiahost.com which has a datacenter in Singapore. I was enticed to sign up because of the low ping and good traceroute of their test IP.

Test IP: 116.251.208.201 (from their website)

Ping Test IP

Traceroute Test IP

So I signed up for the lowest plan

OVZSSD-128
128MB / 256MB Burst
SSD HDD 5GB
Bandwidth 100GB
CPU Core 1
Price $12 per quarter

After 12 and a half hours, the VPS login details arrived.

Here's the ping of the IP address that was assigned to me by OAH

traceroute

Here's my speed test (speedtest.net) without a VPN (Selecting best server based on ping)

Here's my speed test connected to OAH with OpenVPN AS (Selecting best server based on ping)

Here's my speed test connected to Digital ocean SG with OpenVPN AS (Selecting best server based on ping) - 512mb droplet

Here's my speed test connected to BuyVM Las Vegas 128mb (vSwap 128mb) OpenVZ running OpenVPN AS (Selecting best server based on ping)

This is not in any way a scientific method of testing.

What do you think is the reason for the slow speed of the OAH VPN? Could it be the low VPS specs? But the BuyVM vps (with almost identical specs with OAH) performed better.

Or is it speedtest.net's fault?

Comments

• did you buy their core plan?
    also have you submit ticket to them?

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

You can try to select different singapore server in the speedtest

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited February 2014

Just open a ticket with two way traceroute (VPS to you, you to VPS) at around the same time, as well as speedtest result from http://www.oneasiahost.com/speedtest/

Might have been a problem with Telin's test server at that point of time, but I'm getting 800mbps from Telin's test server now (the one used in the screenshot). Other posibility is a problem between the VPS and @kaflo ISP but also weird because we peer with Globe Telecom directly over SGIX.

# python speedtest_cli.py --server 1883
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Testing from SG.GS (116.251.216.249)...
    Hosted by Telin (Singapore) [7.42 km]: 222.047 ms
    Testing download speed........................................
    Download: 837.20 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed..................................................
    Upload: 345.54 Mbit/s

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited February 2014

I've observed some strange results when using Speedtest and OpenVPN, could someone back me up on this?
    My ISP offers 20Mbps download 5Mbps upload

This is result without OpenVPN

Using OpenVPN

There is definitely something wrong with the upload result.

Just trying to point out that you shouldn't use Speedtest.net when testing the speed of your VPN connection.

• The upload result is probably a result of having compression enabled for openvpn.

I usually turn the compression off, by adding this to the server .conf file:

comp-lzo no
    push "comp-lzo no"

And to the client config .ovpn file:

comp-lzo no
  • @david said:
    The upload result is probably a result of having compression enabled for openvpn.

I usually turn the compression off, by adding this to the server .conf file:

comp-lzo no
    > push "comp-lzo no"

And to the client config .ovpn file:

comp-lzo no

What are the pros and cons of having the compression?

• Makenai said: What are the pros and cons of having the compression?

I've heard that having the compression enabled reduces the performance, but I don't know if that's true or not. Maybe if you're transferring a lot of compressible data it would help. But I'm thinking if it can be compressed, it probably already is.

Plus I run OpenVPN on my router, too, so I want to save the cpu.

So I guess the pro would be that it could be faster if you transfer a lot of non-compressed text files, and the con would be possible reduced performance for normal use, higher cpu usage, and strange speed test results.

Thanked by 1Makenai
  • For lowest ping in Asia, try "IndoVirtue"

http://indovirtue.com

They got multiple upstream.

• @ashique said:
    For lowest ping in Asia, try "IndoVirtue"

http://indovirtue.com

They got multiple upstream.

Indovirtue uses network of Hostsg aka Oneasiahost aka OAH.

• Didn't know that! :)

Then they have the same connectivity.

• I do not trust OneAsiaHost since they ignored my abuse email for someone on their network trying to hack into my email

• MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

@imperio said:
    Indovirtue uses network of Hostsg aka Oneasiahost aka OAH.

I have tried many other providers in Singapore (like DigitalOcean, Softlayer SG). So far, no one can match Hostsg network (as in, low latency and high throughput). The difference is very noticeable if you're from China or Philippines, because so far I didn't see any Singapore provider offering PCCW direct to China or Starhub to Philippines, all in one package. They got large pipes to many key Europe exchange too. I knew the owner, a real experts in ASN networking administration :)

Taken from their HostSG website (look at their FB pages, they already hosts many happy corporate customer):

• imperioimperio Member
    edited March 2014

Melita said: so far I didn't see any Singapore provider offering PCCW direct to China or Starhub to Philippines

Voxel have both PCCW and Starhub in SG.

• iSkyiSky Member

@imperio said:
    Voxel have both PCCW and Starhub in SG.

which provider have voxel service ?
    dunno which have the plan for the voxel line

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited March 2014

@iSky said:
    dunno which have the plan for the voxel line

Voxel were merged/bought-out by Internap, probably the lowest entry is internap public cloud iirc starts at $50 per month. Purevpn have infrastructure at Voxel/SG if you want to test routing and speeds are very reasonably, much better than a VPN I had with an OAH provider (although may have been down to earthvpn using LEB boxes rather than their network)

• iSky said: which provider have voxel service ?

If I remember correctly WizzVPS (https://www.wizzvps.com) does have VPS at Voxel Singapore.

• Ruriko said: I do not trust OneAsiaHost since they ignored my abuse email for someone on their network trying to hack into my email

I deal with all complaints sent to the abuse email, only difference is that if your email looks like some automated reporting (fail2ban), I don't reply but I deal with it. If you need a reply open a ticket.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho