Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for DNS

what's everyone using to host DNS? I need to setup some secondary DNS (PowerDNS), so want a cheap VPS.

my thoughts on spec:

1 CPU core
128M RAM (or maybe 64)
1GB storage + OS (maybe 2GB total)
100GB bandwidth
1 IPv4
1 IPv6 (no essential, but will be needed soon guess)

anything wrong with my spec?

most VPS need more storage, more bandwidth, and therefore cost more.

I'm looking for UK, EU, and US locations

Comments

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited February 2014

said: what's everyone using to host DNS?

cloudns net

• I personally have 1 512MB VPS for the primary server that runs Poweradmin, and then 3 additional 256MB VPSes from various providers for the slave servers. They're all running CentOS 6 and PowerDNS with MySQL as the backend.

I wouldn't advise using less than 256MB of RAM unless you're going to use the bind backend rather than MySQL, but if you did that then you can't use Poweradmin, and you'd have to reload PowerDNS every time you updated something.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2014

petris said: I wouldn't advise using less than 256MB of RAM unless you're going to use the bind backend rather than MySQL

We're running PowerDNS+PowerAdmin+MySQL replication that's just using 58MB on master. 256mb is more then enough.

• @INIZ said:
    We're running PowerDNS+PowerAdmin+MySQL replication that's just using 58MB on master. 256mb is more then enough.

Running and running well are two different things. I still wouldn't recommend using less than 256MB.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@INIZ Yeah like a boss, poweradmin works well.

• my service dnsbed.com powered by VPS.

• thanks for the answers. cloudns is interesting. can it be easily integrated with solusvm? presumably you can point your own ns.domain a record at cloudns IPs so it looks like your own ns network

• Using cloudflare free dns service. Got bored of managing and ultra securing my own dns servers.

• I use DnsMadeEasy, myself. I don't feel like dealing with hosting it myself just yet.