Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon EC2 Windows Instances Discount for April
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon EC2 Windows Instances Discount for April

TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
edited April 2012 in Offers

I don't know if you have seen this but here is a $50 credit for Windows EC2 instances. http://aws.amazon.com/solutions/global-solution-providers/microsoft/aprilcredit/

Thanked by 1pcan

Comments

• Thanks got the code but haven't tried using it yet I guess amazon dont do windows lebs :P

• Seems like it is applicable on all of their products?

• flyfly Member

ec2 is way expensive. and the reliability is still questionable.

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited April 2012

dont' forget there's the 1 year free tier for new users too: aws.amazon.com/free

• But S3 is awesome and cheap, especially for backups. (Last month I paid something like 20 cents for 2.5GB of data)

• KuroKuro Member

EC2 may be expensive for 24/7 use, but it is really great when you occasionally need to quickly process a lot of data. For my uses, works out to be cheaper than an equivalent dedicated server sitting idle ~90% of the month :P

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Kuro, can you remote start/stop an EC2 box (i.e. from a script)? was thinking if a micro for a few hours/day + persistent ebs as a cheap alternative to s3rsync.

• KuroKuro Member

@raindog308 Yes, via their API.

Just got my credits :D

Now to find a use for a Windows box >_>

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think I'm going to try just that, @Kuro - firing up an EC2 instance, using it to rsync to EBS, snapshot to S3, etc.

There is an S3 rsync service, but doing it yourself looks to be a lot cheaper. Here is a comparison: http://www.raindog308.com/2012/rolling-your-own-s3-rsync/

Thanked by 1Kuro
  • lbftlbft Member

@NanoG6 said: Seems like it is applicable on all of their products?

Most likely it's so that people don't sign up to give it a go and then get surprised by charges from associated services (internet transfer, cross-zone internal transfer, I/O costs, S3/EBS, etc.)

• @lbft said: Most likely it's so that people don't sign up to give it a go and then get surprised by charges from associated services (internet transfer, cross-zone internal transfer, I/O costs, S3/EBS, etc.)

Probably it is.. I wanna use their route 53, but because I haven't (and I wont) put my CC details, I'm unable to give it a try even though I have those $50 credit. Crap.

• if you have bofa,discover, citi card or a prepaid card(one of those rebate cards or prepaid etc) make a virtual number, register then cancel virtual number. now can use $50 and not worry about billing

• pcanpcan Member

I just signed-up to the AWS free tier offer. I now have a 600 Mb RAM VPS, free for one full year, at the Singapore location. To my knowledge, Amazon is the only free Singapore (or Tokio) LEB offer at the moment. The micro istance has no local storage and the EBS storage is pretty slow, but it works. Benchmark with the Ubuntu 11.10 server standard AWS template.

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 31.2628 s, 34.3 MB/s

wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-04-09 20:30:51--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 204.93.150.150
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|204.93.150.150|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 2.19M/s   in 27s

2012-04-09 20:31:18 (3.72 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

• tommytommy Member

time for Windows LEB?