Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ process killed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ process killed

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hi,

I bought 2 vps's from a provider and installed at one a mysql database and on the second vps a webserver with php where is a forum running on.

I wanted to test how solide would be 2 vps's compared to one, so i used blitz.io and i tested 100 requests in 30 Seconds is not much.
After some seconds the cpu was about 50%+ and some seconds later about 30 request i got the message like : "process killed".
The VPS had about 20-30MB still free, so why the webserver process was killed? because of OpenVZ or the provider limits?

Should i better order a KVM?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Some providers kill processes that are causing high load. It would be the best, to communicate with the provider directly, to get to the bottom of this.

We are also testing a similar system at the moment, on a couple of nodes.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Check the logs for oom kills ?

• Yeah, ticket the provider. There could be a script running to kill the process if it's causing excessive load.

• I feel like running scripts like this to kills processes almost makes it a scam...

• if you cat /proc/user_beancounters, does it show anything under the "failcnt" column?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@david said:
    if you cat /proc/user_beancounters, does it show anything under the "failcnt" column?

^ there it is

• @MassNodes BlueVM has (included in Feathur) scripts that automatically kill known bitcoin/litecoin/cryptocoin miners. We disallow those items in our ToS, so there is NO reason you should be running those. We also kill Feed the Beast servers (most bloated Minecraft Server EVERY) because again, it's disallowed in the ToS. Helps to keep node performance up.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2014

failcnt is not there, i gonna create a ticket. So should i better buy a KVM for that?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    failcnt is not there, i gonna create a ticket. So should i better buy a KVM for that?

Hard to say. See what the provider says. If the processes looked to be abusive and maybe you just weren't aware of something that went wrong, the provider only sees one process with KVM, so they may just kill the whole box. Fairly dependent on the details of what actually happened. I noticed you mentioned a forum, which can be subject to spam registrations which could cause PHP/MySQL to spike like crazy. Have any particular tables with an insane number of rows? Any of them lacking a primary key?