Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta) - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta)

Comments

• Not necessarily NodeQuery related, but my Iniz box in Amsterdam has been having some interesting network latency readings, lately

Not that I mind, but seems odd :)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2014

@zormal said:
    Not necessarily NodeQuery related, but my Iniz box in Amsterdam has been having some interesting network latency readings, lately

Not that I mind, but seems odd :)

What timezone is that? I'll check our SmokePing which is pretty realistic as it gets.

Feel free to PM

• @INIZ I'm at EET. It's 21:09 now.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2014

@zormal said:
    INIZ I'm at EET. It's 21:09 now.

Seems like an issue with the US host they're using, Europe/Asia is pretty much stable. Our LA/NYC smoke ping probes are pretty much stable as well.

• Yeah. Funny that the panel is reporting 22ms to EU and 15ms to US :D

Thanks for taking a look, anyway. Can't praise your service enough. Solid as ever ;)

• @n0my said:
    Yes of course :) I use it on my Linux boxes currently.

Well he is kind of busy with exams right now, so I was giving you an obvious answer.

Knowing it's a BASH script you will realise that it is not as easy as waving a wand to make it Windows compatible. It's a complete rewrite in Powershell. And then you have to make sure all the WMI stuff is activated and not firewalled away.

For a beta service this will never happen. But by all means, write it yourself and be able to add the API keys to it so it will accept the data, and there's no reason why you cannot make it work.

• n0myn0my Member
    edited March 2014

@Monsta_AU Thanks. Once I get some time I will definitely give it a try.

My post was directed towards OP. Not sure how you can take decisions for their beta. It's gonna have to be a beta to be introduced to windows anyway. ;)

• Joe_NQ said: @ahmiq said: One of my debian server is showing it is down , while it is not the case , it is up and everything is working as it should. should i reinstall the server or?. i did try to re-install it , but still the same

Did the server work at all at some point or did you just receive down notifications? Maybe you can find something in the logs? Is the cron job running?

I have similar issues with just one of my servers (already talking this via email), showing me false positives and 93% with a server that is 100% uptime.

We have 3 different monitor and when getting alerts check that all is online.

I was thinking that maybe is a problem of the NIC shown in your panel, it's getting the private IP instead of the public one, but anyway, we have other ssimilar server with private IP also and it's 100%.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited March 2014

@n0my said:
    My post was directed towards OP. Not sure how you can take decisions for their beta. It's gonna have to be a beta to be introduced to windows anyway. ;)

Of course I cannot take a decision on Joe's project. I am trying to give you a common-sense answer while he deals with college mid-terms.

Joe has mentioned he expects this to go to a paid service.... so a Windows 'product' at this time would only introduce further complexities and divert resources away from getting a stable service, and therefore revenue.

While he did say he wants to keep the focus on Linux (see http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/481370/#Comment_481370) that is not a complete rejection, just a 'not yet'. He may later completely reject the idea of a Windows version. But someone here could write one.

• n0myn0my Member

Monsta_AU said: Of course I cannot take a decision on Joe's project. I am trying to give you a common-sense answer while he deals with college mid-terms.

Right. Thanks once again.

The title said "Feedback appreciated" and that was my feedback to the OP.

• Looks pretty nice, but where do you host the app?

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@KeyJey said:

i had problem with the CRON job , so check that.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • Nice idea - but why not give people the option to nickname their servers. I personally don't know which host is which as I can only see IP and I have similar sized VPS's - so seems a bit silly to me...

• @jeromeza said:
    Nice idea - but why not give people the option to nickname their servers. I personally don't know which host is which as I can only see IP and I have similar sized VPS's - so seems a bit silly to me...

so... when you setup the servers use the FQDN instead of the IP address.

• @n0my said:
    The title said "Feedback appreciated" and that was my feedback to the OP.

Agreed. Im sure many people would like that. Understood its not on radar today but once it becomes a paid service it may also make commercial sense to broaden the number of devices your product works on especially as businesses that use both are going to choose a tool that can monitor both.

• @seaeagle - so you're assuming that everyone has their own DNS setup? I'd rather make it an option in the UI etc.

• Im not making any assumptions about you or anyone else, I was pointing out a simple solution to the issue you are having.
    The Internet was always designed around using DNS to resolve host addresses.
    Even if you havent setup your own there is still probably a DNS entry recorded for each of your IP Addresses even if it is something like 10-234-12-123.atlanta.myvpshost.something

• ahmiq said: i had problem with the CRON job , so check that.

Looks OK for me,

Script "bash /etc/nodequery/nq-agent.sh > /etc/nodequery/nq-cron.log" running every 3 minutes

• PepoPepo Member

I've used it in a couple of VPS and it works very well.

I've tried to run the script in a LES Ubuntu 12.04 and I get:

nq-install.sh: line 73: crontab: command not found

Any ideas?

• PepoPepo Member

Sorry, found out myself:

sudo apt-get install cron

And reinstall...

• DarioXDarioX Member
    edited March 2014

Also having problems with one of my centos servers. CSF is installed, but this shouldnt be the problem. I have many with CSF. Also cron is working correctly. Nodequery doesnt receive any data. Any idea what could cause this?
    Thanks for the great tool by the way :-)

Edit: Working now. Somehow managed to forget to start crond.

• I'm seeing a weird issue with my 2x GVH VPS's (1x NY 1x CH).

They both according to NodeQuery drop off the face of the earth at the same time, yet I can SSH in to them - so what gives? Is the host flaky or is NodeQuery buggy?

• mihhamihha Member

I tested this on my CentOS based VPS but I am still waiting for the data to be collected also I signed up for the account and installed the script on the server few days ago

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited April 2014

just joining your beta. first impression : pretty interface, very easy installation, overall really impressed. i'll spread the words :) .. btw, can i install this on windows server? (I know it is linux monitoring, but i am curious)

• @sirmbhe said:
    just joining your beta. first impression : pretty interface, very easy installation, overall really impressed. i'll spread the words :) .. btw, can i install this on windows server? (I know it is linux monitoring, but i am curious)

No, as of right now you can't.

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited April 2014

@george said:
    No, as of right now you can't.

Any plan to do so? :)
    Or maybe, ios/android client app will be great next step..

• georgegeorge Member
    edited April 2014

@sirmbhe said:
    Any plan to do so?

That's a question for the original creator of this script.

• @jeromeza said:
    I'm seeing a weird issue with my 2x GVH VPS's (1x NY 1x CH).

They both according to NodeQuery drop off the face of the earth at the same time, yet I can SSH in to them - so what gives? Is the host flaky or is NodeQuery buggy?

Ive seen this on my 2 monitored noes a couple of times. i think one issue may be (has been mentioned here before) that all nodes are set to check in on the hour and every 3mins after that. that means that all nodes are basically polling at almost the same time and then there is 2+mins of almost no one polling and then everyone polling at the same time again...
    i think their system might be getting overloaded at times.
    a nice enhancement might be local logging so if your server is up but reporting down you can see why your node didnt check in... dns issue, routing issue, host busy etc

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited April 2014

@george said:
    That's a question for the original creator of this script.

Yes it is, ping @Jak :)

Any plan to do so? :) Or maybe, ios/android client app will be great next step..

• @sirmbhe said:
    Any plan to do so? :) Or maybe, ios/android client app will be great next step.

See http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/481370/#Comment_481370

The answer is no Windows version for now.