Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP change - Catalyst Host doing it right
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP change - Catalyst Host doing it right

NodePingNodePing Member
edited February 2014 in General

We've been burnt quite a few times with sudden IP changes these past few months from various hosts. Some providing not even 2 hours advanced notice.

I got announcement for an IP change today from Catalyst Host:
"We have already assigned your new IP addresses to your VPS Account. We are giving everyone 2 Months to make this transition happen."

I wanted to give a big digital high-five to them for giving us plenty of time to deal with the change and put this out as the new 'standard' for IP address changes for providers in the future. I'm sure it cost them plenty to hang on to the old IPs for that long. Thanks for taking the high road, Catalyst.

The bar has been raised.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Wouldn't expect less from Catalyst. They are awesome.

Thanked by 2ryanarp ihatetonyy
  • This is what I like to call a good host ;)

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • I dont think that those sudden ip changes are acceptable at all

what is the reason behind it? i haven't encountered such situation yet.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • I agree, this is how it should be done.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2014

Thanks for all for the positive feedback, we are excited about making the transition to our own IP Space. Sorry to those who got multiple e-mails, if you were at the front of the list I do apologize :)

• We just did something similar.

We assigned new IP's to the VPS's and gave them a little over a month to change over. And for those that don't know how to change things over we just had them submit a ticket and we would change them over for them.

• i will transition after 59 days. thanks Ryan!

Thanked by 1kerouac

jcaleb said: i will transition after 59 days.

There are always those who like to wait until there old ip are no longer working to open that ticket. Hopefully we will do a good job at keeping people well informed.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

He's actually going to reclaim all of the old IPs because he's selling me a 8GB ram KVM for $15/m which I'm going to put a /24 on and sell unmetered 4GB ram plans for $10/year. Lookout LEB, a new scam is on it's way!

• Perfect way to handle it IMHO.

I also love their Twitter,

"TaylorSwift had a rough moment today from a DDOS. Investigation wrapped up. Sorry we didn't alert you guys sooner. "

Hahahah love the node name!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Just got a VPS from them Tuesday to try 'em out.

So this email was my first customer impression and it was well-handled.

I think the lesson here is: buy VPSes from people whose last names are network protocols.

Thanked by 3Infinity Mark_R JahAGR
  • serverianserverian Member
    edited February 2014

raindog308 said: I think the lesson here is: buy VPSes from people whose last names are network protocols.

Never noticed this before you said it here! Great last name.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Guessing someone didn't like this thread.

Ryan's headed up to the DC now.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited February 2014

ill migrate from catalyst to hostgator vps

Thanked by 2jar ryanarp

@raindog308 said:
    Just got a VPS from them Tuesday to try 'em out.

So this email was my first customer impression and it was well-handled.

I think the lesson here is: buy VPSes from people whose last names are network protocols.

I guess I should have put in a date range, so that people who started with new ip didn't get this e-mail. Hopefully that won't cause confusion :)

I keep telling the people up here in the DC with a last name like mine, I pretty much have to be working in this industry :)

• This is (or should be) the norm.

Unfortunately what I witnessed on both LEB and WHT would leave the uninformed punter to believe that data center moves (burst.net, ninjahost, urpad, vd) with practically no notice, ip changes with a few days notice (securedragon), or none are to be expected. In my opinion when hosts pull these stunts (for whatever reasons - save one more bill at data center X, forgot to send out, mummy cancelled the credit card) they should be dead pooled for 12-24 months.

• jarland said: He's actually going to reclaim all of the old IPs because he's selling me a 8GB ram KVM for $15/m which I'm going to put a /24 on and sell unmetered 4GB ram plans for $10/year. Lookout LEB, a new scam is on it's way!

That's a business model, not a scam :-)

Thanked by 1jar
  • We try to keep our customers informed when we are informed. It gives both parties ample time to take care of what they need to do, which in the end makes us both happy.

Just wait until we send out 10 more e-mails about IPv6!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Sweet!

Perfect time to release Debian 7 minimal templates to? (one can only dream)

• there should be some promo to celebrate these IP

@jcaleb the week isn't over :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Kudos to @ryanarp and the team! It always hurts a little inside when I see the no notice migrations/ip changes.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2014

sarcasm "what about INIZ. he gave us only 30 days? is he such a bad guy?"

• @Infinity580 said:
    sarcasm "what about INIZ. he gave us only 30 days? is he such a bad guy?"

Yes indeed. I glad I'm already with them.