Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why should I Get A VPS or Dedicated Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why should I Get A VPS or Dedicated Server?

lukenstinelukenstine Member
edited February 2014 in General

I'm currently on a godaddy shared account my site gets about 700k views a month. Its a wordpress video site. but the videos are hosted else where. and so are the pictures.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting

Comments

• vps

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

...from someone other than godaddy.

Thanked by 2Mark_R kingpin
  • That comes to around 16.2 views per minute, so a VPS running nginx or lighttpd as a webserver will be alright.

Though, I suppose it depends on what kind of site you're serving. Is it media heavy or uses a lot of CPU/RAM?

• well with godaddy there is really no ddos attacks. i have been with them for almost 4 years now. and my server only went down once. and they gave me credit plus a month free service!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@lukenstine said:
    well with godaddy there is really no ddos attacks. i have been with them for almost 4 years now. and my server only went down once. and they gave me credit plus a month free service!

If you're happy, stay where you're at. Don't fix what ain't broke :)

• @jarland said:

true that!!

• @jarland said:

+1

• edited February 2014

Well if you've got some money lying around I would try and migrate over to a VPS, you just so much more power and control in a VPS compared to shared hosting

• You also have greater responsibility and security issues. If you're okay where you are, stay there.

• Go with Dedicated Servers. Quite Useful, Safe, No Security Issues and just be positive for more visits to your website

Thanked by 1perennate
  • SammiRose said: Safe, No Security Issues

ummmm... to someone coming from shared hosting?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

no need if you are happy

• @AThomasHowe said: SoftsysHosting is not only offering Shared Hosting

• enfieldenfield Member

If it aint broke ...

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited May 2014

Let's put it at this. If you're currently happy with what you have, stick with it. If you feel that you need a little more "oomph" for your site, then get a VPS from a reputable company. If you find that a VPS just isn't enough and you're willing to spend a bit more per month to get some higher end resources, then a dedicated server is for you. Personally, I'd stick with the shared hosting if it's enough for you. Otherwise, just get a VPS with about 512MB of RAM and a nice amount of bandwidth. Dedicated servers should only be used in cases of resource intensive programs or apps. It would be overkill to run one website on a dedicated server (in your case).

• FalzoFalzo Member

as mentioned above, if you're satisfied with what you've got, leave it.
    if you feel the need to Change, switch to a vps, but go for a managed one, if you have never done lamp-setup and else before.
    second option IMHO would be leaving your site as it is and get a small vps to try out or train your skills before deciding if you're able and willing to do this on your own.

• SammiRose said: @AThomasHowe said: SoftsysHosting is not only offering Shared Hosting

No, I know you're just here advertising. It's irresponsible to advise a dedicated server has no security issues and is safe compared to a managed shared hosting environment.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

VPS should suffice your needs. When you notice your VPS can no longer handle the load, then its time to upgrade or switch to a dedicated server.

Although, it is always best to plan into the future and as such, if you see your traffic growing daily/monthly, then you should probably switch to a dedicated server.

• @AThomasHowe said:
    No, I know you're just here advertising. It's irresponsible to advise a dedicated server has no security issues and is safe compared to a managed shared hosting environment.

hmmm thats your point. All our Dedicated Servicers, whether with SSD, Managed or UnManaged, Unmetered are as safe and secured as Managed Shared Hosting Environment.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

SammiRose said: All our Dedicated Servicers, whether with SSD, Managed or UnManaged, Unmetered are as safe and secured as Managed Shared Hosting Environment.

No they aren't, how can an unmanaged dedicated server be more secure than managed shared hosting for someone with no experience?

• @AThomasHowe said:
    No they aren't, how can an unmanaged dedicated server be more secure than managed shared hosting for someone with no experience?

Thank you bro. Conclusion comes that Except Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, others are more secure than managed shared hosting, That's My point.

• Depends if your making money and more than enough for a dedicated server you should buy a managed dedicated server with cpanel etc if not stick with what you got ^_^

• Yeah like the others said if it is working out good for you and if you are able to grow with your hoster being satisfied with the service then don't change anything.

If you face perfomance problems or if you can't grow with them look for managed VPS or dedi. Administrating a VPS or dedi need some skills.

If you want to learn it install a linux system on your pc and start learning from there.

• SMatSMat Member

you can also have the option for a endeble video to have it actually on youtube not on your site.
    It works as a link from your site to youtube.

• wychwych Member

If it aint broke don't fix it.